Looking for a Pingy Ride

I have been looking for the exact same type of ride; and i have found that the sabian HH rock ride,zildjian K heavy ride, K custom dry ride, one of the meinl soundcaster ones (i can't remember which one),the meinl raker fast ride,meinl MB-20 metal ride,sabian AA metal ride and possibly the sabian hh duo and sabian pro sonix rides also but they both have a bit of wash.

I have decided to go for the sabian pro sonix (which is still professional quality) because of the price, but my favourites are the K heavy ride and HH rock ride.

hope this is of help.

People over-think the pingy ride thing way too much. If you like a pingy sound, you're in luck, because most of the best sounding Pingy rides are made from B8 Alloy and are cheap. That's my humble opinion anyways. The Sabian B8 Pro Power Rock Ride is all ping and the bell is insane. The regular B8 Pro ride is really pingy as well, but lacks the huge bell. Nearly all Paistes Alphas and 802s are really pingy and inexpensive as well.

For me I never quite understood paying a lot of money for really pingy rides, since this is the easiest sound to achieve in ride making. The thicker and less hammering and lathing you have, the pingier it'll be.

I have a nice 20" A Custom Series Ride ( Ping)...has plenty of Ping to it...it *can* wash it you want it to....and a strong bell to it.

Actually looking to trade it ...I am looking for something more along the lines of a K Dry Ride....or some type of K ride that has more of a jazz flavor to it.

Anyone interested let me know. I'd love to do a straight up trade. I tired some Drum Shops and of course they will only give you X amount then re-sell at 2 X...so I was not going to do that. I bought it new and it is in great shape.

People over-think the pingy ride thing way too much. If you like a pingy sound, you're in luck, because most of the best sounding Pingy rides are made from B8 Alloy and are cheap. That's my humble opinion anyways. The Sabian B8 Pro Power Rock Ride is all ping and the bell is insane. The regular B8 Pro ride is really pingy as well, but lacks the huge bell. Nearly all Paistes Alphas and 802s are really pingy and inexpensive as well.

For me I never quite understood paying a lot of money for really pingy rides, since this is the easiest sound to achieve in ride making. The thicker and less hammering and lathing you have, the pingier it'll be.

I'll say +1 - with a caveat.

IMO, when you play the cheaper rides (or even some of the heavier pro 'pingy' rides) quietly, they don't sound so great. I think it's important for anyone looking at pingy rides to consider the general volume and style of music you'll be playing. Light jazz ping is different from loud rock ping in terms of what cymbal works best.

The lighter, pro level pingy rides sound sweet but can't necessarily compete with heavy sound levels.

I noticed that noone mentioned flat rides. If it's all about the ping then definitely listen to a few flat rides as well. You will have to live without a bell so it may not be the best main cymbal.

I used to own a 20" older A Zildjian Flat Ride that sounded very nice. I just never used it on the gigs I was doing so I sold it.

If I buy another flat ride it will be darker, such as a K Custom, Constantinople or one of the Istanbul flat rides. These have a bit more wash and are warmer but still got that ping thing happening.

Check those out to get perspective.

Jim

Paiste signature dry ride or dry heavy ride...very little wash... a very defined ride that is loud..the bell is louder then the Z mega bell (I tested both side by side) sounds awesome live and recorded..

I own three that comes to mind. The Zildjian A Custom 20" Ping ride, Zildjian A 20" Ping ride and a couple Sabian Hand Hammered 21" Raw Bell Dry rides that have a nicely controlled ping to them.

Dennis

K CUSTOM DRY RIDE.
perfect ping- almost no wash. extremely versatile.

I agree with this. The K Custom Dry ride is ALL ping, with just the slightest tad of undertones. It is heavy and very articulate, but just musical enough to not sound totally lifeless.

Be warned though, it is not for everyone or every style. I play mostly rock/blues, and alway run another ride wth it (usually a Chester Thompson Liquid ride) for applications where the ride needs to blend better with the rest of the drums/cymbals.

The Sabian Raw Bell Dry Rides are not only pingy, but also very musical. If you like pingy, you really can't go wrong with these. They come in all 4 flavors: AA/AAX/HH/HHX. I had the HH first but traded it for the AA which is a little more lively. They all have killer bells.

+1. The AA RBDR is a sensational cymbal.

Hi,
I run my two cymbals ride side by side, my Wash ride is the A Custom 23" Sweet ride and the Ping ride is an Old vintage Zildjian 70's 21" ride made in Canada.... It's a good cymbals but it seems to be a loud on earth, a rock ride and we play mostly Funk/Dance so, what other rides would fit well with my Sweet ride being not a loud cymbals but with more complex tone.... The 21" ride is an heavy one, almost uncrashble and you all say that the cymbals described, like the Sabian RBDR are for loud music... So, if your music is not Rock/Loud? Which ones? Or would they work well too?

I had a 22" A Ping Ride for years, I got it because that's what Neil was playing back at that time when I went cymbal shopping. The ping and bell were great, but I was never very happy with the wash sound. If I were shopping for something pingy today, I'd look at a K Heavy or K Custom Dry.

If all you want is ping, Sabian Pro ride. All it does is ping. Bell, ping. Bow, ping. Edge, ping. Wash? Nope, ping ping ping. Throw it down a flight of stairs, ping ping ping ping ping. It only pings, but it does it well.

For a Pingy ride I would recommend any of the following :
Paiste Signature Dry Heavy ride
Paiste 2002 Heavy ride
Paiste Stewart Copeland Blue Bell ride
Zildjian K Custom ( the original unlathed model)

The paragon is great but a 22 zildjian earth ride takes the cake as well as the 24 z heavy power ride

If all you want is ping, Sabian Pro ride. All it does is ping. Bell, ping. Bow, ping. Edge, ping. Wash? Nope, ping ping ping. Throw it down a flight of stairs, ping ping ping ping ping. It only pings, but it does it well.

I had an original Sabian B8 Pro 20in Ride. Wow, ping in da morning and ping in da evening. Pinging ALLLL day long. I would argue, however, that it did one other thing extremely well, it made me want to purchase better cymbals.

Pete

Back