Looking for a particular ride cymbal sound

dublave

Hi everyone. So I'm not a drummer myself but have a small project recording studio in my home and would like to add some drums to my arsenal. What I'm trying to zero in on right now is a particular ride sound that I love. Here are some audio examples:

The ride that kicks in at about 2:00—I believe it has a rather mellow, darker jazz kind of quality to it, but it's still cutting with the drums.
The splash that starts around :45 and plays throughout—Here obviously hit with a mallet, but it has a really beautiful dark shimmery sound.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I've gathered that if I'm drawn to a darker sound I probably want something a bit wider like 22" and medium to thin. Some quick searches lead me to Dream cymbals. I really love the dark and mellow splashy quality of a Dream 22" Dark Matter Flat Earth. At around $300 this is pushing the high end of what I would like to spend. The Dream 22" Bliss Ride and Energy Ride are also both interesting.

Or something like the Zildjian K Custom 20" Dark Ride?

I guess I'm just looking for some guidance from folks with more knowledge about these things and with ears more attuned. Based on my sound examples am I on the right path? Or am I potentially reading my sound examples incorrectly? Anyone else have some >$300 recommendations in line with my examples? Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:

danondrums

20" K Custom Dark is a universally good ride and can be had at a pretty good used price. My tinnitus is pretty bad though and I couldn't even recognize a ride cymbal at the 2:00 mark from your video. :)
I have one of those rides and it's a very generic sounding mellow dark ride. The bigger the cymbal the lower the pitch you'll get though so you might like something larger than 20".

Captain Bash

Silver Member
For a great all round studio ride cymbal that can be bought used of eBay etc I would recommend Bosphorus Stanton Moore series ( renamed groove series) wide ride in 22” (these are semi dry dark). As discussed above K Zildjian Custom dark rides in 22 can also be had 2nd hand, these have more wash and are splashier.

Mongrel

Silver Member
20" K Custom Dark is a universally good ride and can be had at a pretty good used price. My tinnitus is pretty bad though and I couldn't even recognize a ride cymbal at the 2:00 mark from your video. :)
I have one of those rides and it's a very generic sounding mellow dark ride. The bigger the cymbal the lower the pitch you'll get though so you might like something larger than 20".
Agree with the "couldn't even recognize a ride cymbal" comment.

I could be totally wrong, but what ride I could hear...sounds like it is being played with a brush, a metal "jazz" brush.

Makes a big impact on how the cymbal sounds.

brady

Platinum Member
I agree... That ride sounds like it's being played with a brush. A heavy gauge brush...or a thin cymbal, or both.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I can't pick out any mellow, dark jazz kind of ride that is cutting with the drums. Not at all. Sorry.

Comment: after watching the new documentary on Linda Ronstadt I think every one of these wanna-be singers should be required to watch the movie and listen to Linda's albums. That singer in video has so little talent compared to Linda. So much production and post-recording crap on that video.

IBitePrettyHard

Yeah, that ride cymbal you hear is definitely using a metal brush. Just ordinary brushes. Because of that, you wouldn't have to be that picky about what cymbal you get, either. As long as the cymbal isn't too bright, you'll get a similar result.