Looking for a New Kit *More Info Inside*

?uesto

Silver Member
Hey all, hopefully someone can give a bit of guidance. I'm looking to get a new drum kit now. I'd like 16"x20", 7"x10", 8"x12", 14"x14", 16"x16", and 14"x24" or 16"x24".

I'm just looking for a company that offers those sizes at a reasonable price, (under $2000, but I'd like to keep it closer to $1000). I only need those shells. No hardware and no snare drum...

Any insight would be awesome. Thanks a bunch!

Soupy

Silver Member
So you're probably going to have to look for a 10/12/14/20 jazz shell pack and get add-on 16" floor and 24" bass. A lot of the kits in the low-$1000 price range won't offer 24" bass drums, might not offer 20" bass drums either, and probably only one depth or each Tom/bass size.

Problem can also be that add-on drum pricing can kill you. Mapex Saturns, for example, really take you to the cleaners with their component drum pricing. You'd spend $1300 for a 4-piece jazz shell pack, but $1500 for the extra bass drum and floor tom.

If you can deal with 8.5x10, 9x12, and 18x24, I think you can squeeze in to that price point with Taye Studiomaple or Studiobirch.

Soupy

Silver Member
Meh, pricing out the Taye drums at justdrumsonline, you're still likely going to overshoot your budget. Looks like you might be able to meet your price point in Pearl Visions, but not the exact sizes. MCXs would come in above your budget, so would Gretsch Renowns, not sure that you can get it in a Catalina other than through the club Rock shell pack, would have to check with a dealer about ordering the bass separately.

Getting 2 bass drums makes things expensive. Getting 20 and 24" bass drums makes it harder. Getting the specific depths you want makes it impossible without going well north of your budget. I think you're going to figure out where you want to compromise in your requirements, or else find something used that gets you mostly where you want to be so you only have to add one or two more drums.

For what it's worth, the kit you want is almost like what I plan on getting. My compromise, as it were, is to not get everything immediately. I've ordered a 12/16/20 3-piece Ludwig Classic Maple that I should receive this week, and some time next year I plan to add 2-3 more toms and a 24 or 26" bass. Of course, this will end up costing more as well.

?uesto

Silver Member
Meh, pricing out the Taye drums at justdrumsonline, you're still likely going to overshoot your budget. Looks like you might be able to meet your price point in Pearl Visions, but not the exact sizes. MCXs would come in above your budget, so would Gretsch Renowns, not sure that you can get it in a Catalina other than through the club Rock shell pack, would have to check with a dealer about ordering the bass separately.

Getting 2 bass drums makes things expensive. Getting 20 and 24" bass drums makes it harder. Getting the specific depths you want makes it impossible without going well north of your budget. I think you're going to figure out where you want to compromise in your requirements, or else find something used that gets you mostly where you want to be so you only have to add one or two more drums.

For what it's worth, the kit you want is almost like what I plan on getting. My compromise, as it were, is to not get everything immediately. I've ordered a 12/16/20 3-piece Ludwig Classic Maple that I should receive this week, and some time next year I plan to add 2-3 more toms and a 24 or 26" bass. Of course, this will end up costing more as well.

Well the Renowns come in a 16x20 and 16x24 and jazz size rack toms. I was also thinking about coughing up a bit more and maybe going with Ludwig Maples. They have all the sizes I want, a great selection of finishes, and they sound awesome. I'm not so sure about MCX. I feel like for the money, you don't get much with Pearl anymore, and I absolutely hate the mounting system. And I know the extra bass drum will be a hefty extra charge. Bass drums usually list at atleast $1,000 for anything above a beginner kit. But I really would love a 24" for my rock band, and for recording, and the 20" for just about everything else.

If I decide to just go the cheap[er] route, I might just go 18x24 and chop it down. My local drum builder does stuff like that for the low price of a six-pack. =D

Cameo

Gold Member
I'm thinking about getting a 10" and 16" tom for Renowns. Even here in Sweden you CSN get them cheap.