Looking for a Hi Hat Stand W/2 legs

d..m..b

Hi,

Beginner drummer here, I am looking for a new hi hat stand that fits well with my double kick.

What would you recommend? I have been looking at the DW ones at around £130. But didn't know if the iron cobra at £100 is a better buy for example!

Thanks In advance!

Dan

The PDP HH820 runs between USD$75 and $100 and is probably as much hi-hat as any beginner drummer needs. It's very sturdy and stable and is essentially a lower-cost DW stand.

Hi,

Beginner drummer here, I am looking for a new hi hat stand that fits well with my double kick.

What would you recommend? I have been looking at the DW ones at around £130. But didn't know if the iron cobra at £100 is a better buy for example!

Thanks In advance!

Dan

Do you actually have two bass drums or is it safe to assume you’re talking about a double pedal?

If you are talking about a double bass drum pedal, I’m not sure I’d recommend a mid-level two-legged stand. I much prefer the sturdiness of the big expensive ones due to the weight and engineering. If you’re saving some money, have you considered a tripod type with swiveling legs? I think three legs is much more stable. But I’ve been argued down about it before.

Look for a used Mapex Falcon. They will run around $80 and have detachable legs if you decide you want to go double bass, or get a rack at some point. The Falcon is a very well built stand with a great feel. With the legs on, it weighs as much as a DW5000. With the legs off, it weighs as little as the Yamaha 700 series. It’s way more top shelf than the price suggests.

PDP HH820 is a great stand---I have 2 of them, and they are bulletproof, stable, and very smooth.

egtCzNKl.jpg

Where?!? I've been coveting one of these but they're $199 new and rarely ever show up used, and if so not for $80...

Well, that sure as heck is interesting. I bought a Falcon single pedal and a Falcon HH stand used from Guitar Center earlier this year, in excellent condition for $80 each. I just double checked my receipts to make sure. Did a search just now and you're right! They are priced almost as high as new. Not sure why...It's not like they have been discontinued!

Personal opinion of course, but even at the price of new, the HH Stand is still nicer than anything in or above it's price range. Way lighter than the DW9000 and just as smooth. Smoother and more adjustable than the DW5000 and still costs less. Pedal height adjustment, premium quick release clutch, detachable legs and as stable as a 3 legged stand. Pretty tough to beat, unless going super light weight is the ultimate goal.

Just as thrilled with the Falcon BD pedal and I went through all of the mainstream ones over the years, except the JoJo Perfect Balance Pedal.

Falcon is great hardware, but I too have no seen any going for a good used price. I have some Falcon cymbal stands and a snare stand and they are outstanding.

I'll also second the recommendation for the PDP stand. I got one that was thrown in with some used gear I bought and it is pretty solid. I use it on my back up kit and it functions just fine. For a beginner, it's a home run.

Personal opinion of course, but even at the price of new, the HH Stand is still nicer than anything in or above it's price range. Way lighter than the DW9000 and just as smooth. Smoother and more adjustable than the DW5000 and still costs less. Pedal height adjustment, premium quick release clutch, detachable legs and as stable as a 3 legged stand. Pretty tough to beat, unless going super light weight is the ultimate goal.

Yes, I am converting to a lighter duty, all Yamaha setup but when I need to get a heavy duty hihat for certain gigs I would break brand and get that Mapex. The mere fact that they have a clamp to keep the folded pedal from flopping around in transport seals the deal for me...

Hi,

Thanks In advance!

Dan

Love my Yamaha HS110. An oldie, but a goodie.

If two legged stands are too pricey, the Yamaha HS740A may be a good alternative. It is 3 legged, however the tripod legs can be rotated to accomodate double pedals.

It's just as personal as BD pedals and I think it does matter. Beginner or not, it's more about age and what's appropriate for you to work on, but it should feel comfortable to you. Anything, but keeping it closed or constant chicks is quite a lot easier with something that fits you. It's not always the pedal. More complex stuff takes a while to get used to, but anyway...

I'm too definetly a sucker for matching brake and accelerator pedals. :)

Anything, but keeping it closed or constant chicks is quite a lot easier with something that fits you.

I think Tommy Lee had/has the goal of constant chicks. Maybe that's why his drumming is so killer.

Back