Looking at buying a throne.

campy

I am new to drumming and bought the Alesis Nitro kit and have been using a stool I bought for a guitar but it seems it's quite a bit higher than the drum thrones I see. Should I invest in a cheap throne and which would be one you would recommend?

I like to sit low. Lower than some thrones go. I am now using a Tama HT130 as I found it to go lower than most other thrones I've seen. I don't sit as low as Vinnie Colaiuta did when he first played with Zappa but my thighs are parallel to the ground when I am sitting with my feet on the pedals. I only wish the padding on the seat was thicker and more cushy. But it does the job.

How heavy are you? A cheap throne probably wont support a big guy well. I bought a new DW DWCP3100 throne about 4 months ago for about USA $ 90. I'm really happy with it. It seems sturdy, well made and comfortable.

I'm 5'9" and I'm about 225 lbs. I'm technically obese. Definitely not proud of that. I have never felt unsafe on it and it has never once given me any indication of it giving out from under me. And I don't baby it. I plop down on it without giving it another thought. I sure hope you haven't jinxed me. :rolleyes:

DO NOT skimp on your throne.

Spend around 150 minimum to get into the real stuff that won't make your back hurt.

Secondly; go to a shop and try out some. There are different styles and types of seats, filler, hardware, "cylinders", feet, adjustments... The list goes on. Anything above 150 dollar range should be good enough to not hurt you as you play and be solid... After that, there's a ton of personal preference in play.

For gigging I have the lightest, most compact throne I can get away with. Fits in the hardware case, saves an extra trip to the car.

But at home I need a sturdy, padded, comfy seat which supports me for hours at a time. Its difficult to test that in one minute in a shop. The comfort of the top section is most important though - thick padding, not too soft.

I don't think I will be spending hours at a time and I don't want to spend half of what the whole kit cost at this point. My main question is the stool I have is 23 inches high and not adjustable and want to know if you think it's too high. I am only 5'7".

I don't think I will be spending hours at a time and I don't want to spend half of what the whole kit cost at this point. My main question is the stool I have is 23 inches high and not adjustable and want to know if you think it's too high. I am only 5'7".

That might be a bit high. I'm 5'7" too and I remember trying my seat at 24" a few months ago. I liked the novelty of it for a little while but in the end I lowered it by a couple of inches for ergonomic reasons.

Gibraltar makes sturdy, inexpensive thrones that are both comfortable and affordable. Check them out.

Any drum kit specific double braced stand from Gibraltar, Pearl, Mapex, Tama etc will serve you well. It may not be “the best” available but it will be at worst fit for purpose. Companies like these won’t be selling badly made, wobbly bases or tops with thick squishy cushioning. As long as you’re avoiding single braced stands and brands that aren’t known for quality or no brand items you’ll be okay (& to be fair some of the no brand items aren’t bad at all but I’m just trying to keep it simple and low cost)

I am new to drumming and bought the Alesis Nitro kit and have been using a stool I bought for a guitar but it seems it's quite a bit higher than the drum thrones I see. Should I invest in a cheap throne and which would be one you would recommend?
I'm with Watso on this. A 'cheap' throne is just false economy, and if $150 is too much, you're probably better off just using what you already have. My adjustable throne is set at about 21 inches for me, and I'm only 5' 00" tall. If your fixed stool is 24", and you're a lot taller than me, that should be good. It'll probably be better for you that it's non-adjustable anyway. Cheaper thrones don't lock from swiveling as well as their more expensive counter parts, and that's where low back comes from - your hips are swiveling around when you need it to be solid because your legs are working. So I'd stay the course with what you have until you can do it right.

I’m finding Mapex and Gibraltar stools on eBay for between £60-£80, I don’t know what the dollar amount would be. There’s also used, refurbished, ex display to look at. I’m pretty sure I paid about £40 for my used/as new Mapex heavy duty stool with saddle top a few years ago.

DO NOT skimp on your throne.

Spend around 150 minimum to get into the real stuff that won't make your back hurt.

Secondly; go to a shop and try out some. There are different styles and types of seats, filler, hardware, "cylinders", feet, adjustments... The list goes on. Anything above 150 dollar range should be good enough to not hurt you as you play and be solid... After that, there's a ton of personal preference in play.

Agree 1000%. I have had a Roc N Soc now for 25 years and it still looks and feels new. 3 years ago I bought a round Pork Pie (in the $150 range) and love it. I expect to have that till my end days.

When I first started I had a cheap throne and it is not worth the inevitable back pain you WILL experience, regardless of age.

I would not INVEST in a CHEAP throne, or will you be investing in a not so cheap Chiropractor in a few years. One of the worst pieces of equipment to skimp on.

My main question is the stool I have is 23 inches high and not adjustable and want to know if you think it's too high. I am only 5'7".

I think it is OK. I am 5'8" tall and my throne is set at 23 1/4 inches high.

I would not INVEST in a CHEAP throne, or will you be investing in a not so cheap Chiropractor in a few years. One of the worst pieces of equipment to skimp on.
My son in law is a Chiropractor and my daughter is a Pharmacist so I am all set.

I ordered a Gibraltar 6608. It should be fine while I am learning.
Man you're a stubborn one just like me! That could have been a quote right out of my mouth when I was a young lad. Looking at where I am today it's weird to think that it all started on a crap e-kit and 50$ throne... Which I guess means that none of it scared me off from drumming, and that's the main thing.

Fair enough. I think your own point probably revolves around limiting your losses in the event you don't end up getting into this whole drumming shenanigans. I understand that sentiment well enough.

But with the benefit of hind-sight, today, I'd rather play on a 150$ throne and 100$ drumkit than the other way round. My butt and back muscles start aching if I so much as look at a cheap throne. Hopefully your new throne works out!

That should be fine, for now. It's adjustable (18-24 inches) and reasonably padded.

Geez, I'd send it back and go with something like this:

Also, go visit music stores if you can. Resale value on drum thrones isn't that great in some areas.

Back