Lookin' for new Jazz Rides

The first time that I played a flat cymbal I was amazed at the sound.
I have been thinking of getting a flat ride.

I swore off flats for MANY years till I heard what Agop had to offer on the subject Bob.

Now I have two....the other one being a 18" Agop Signature flat. Flat joy supreme.... :}

I was recently surprised by a Agop Signature Flat, especially in the 22" size. The only few other flats I had heard sounded like a gust of wind more than anything else, with a smokey sizzle hiding in there somewhere, with no volume. This one had life and character. Flat rides definitely have their uses! Thanks a lot for the pictures Steamer, & I'd like to personally thank you for bringing Turkish cymbals to my attention. The first ones I saw were yours in the Agop picture thread, and has since developed into a grand passion for hand made pies.
Also, I'd like to say that Tony at cymbalsonly.com replied to my email 45 minutes ago, and I'll confirm the purchase tomorrow. The fact that he responded on a Saturday night in under 2 hours was unexpected, and appreciated. All seems to be going well!

The next cymbal I order will be a 22" Istanbul Mehmet Turk flat ride.

Then I will get a 22" Traditional flat ride.

I love flat rides. :)

I swore off flats for MANY years till I heard what Agop had to offer on the subject Bob.

Now I have two....the other one being a 18" Agop Signature flat. Flat joy supreme.... :}
It was a K Con 20 inch flat that I played and liked.
I would like to try a sig like you have.

I was recently surprised by a Agop Signature Flat, especially in the 22" size. The only few other flats I had heard sounded like a gust of wind more than anything else, with a smokey sizzle hiding in there somewhere, with no volume. This one had life and character. Flat rides definitely have their uses! Thanks a lot for the pictures Steamer, & I'd like to personally thank you for bringing Turkish cymbals to my attention. The first ones I saw were yours in the Agop picture thread, and has since developed into a grand passion for hand made pies.
Also, I'd like to say that Tony at cymbalsonly.com replied to my email 45 minutes ago, and I'll confirm the purchase tomorrow. The fact that he responded on a Saturday night in under 2 hours was unexpected, and appreciated. All seems to be going well!

You're most welcome and good luck believe me once the Turkish madness fully hits :}

Just in case you missed it here's the 18" Sig flat in action featured on this take from the recording studio for a upcoming CD release down the road. Low res and compressed to fit YouTube but you get the idea....sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sjdjF2nnEM

Obviously, the sound one gets with the cymbals he owns is going to be subjective. I've been using the same ride for everything for at least the last 18 years (a 20" Zildjian K Custom Dark Ride) and it does everything I ask. I 'd like to have another one, but I don't.

I'm cool with the disagreement, that's the cool thing about being human - we're all different. I'd like to try some of these Istanbuls I've been hearing about and maybe one day when I tell myself, "that ol' K just ain't doin' it anymore" I will. Maybe after Andy tells us of his experience with Amedia I'll feel the bug to try something new.

But I must be playing for real unsophisticated audiences because nobody ever tells me whatever I played just didn't sound right because I didn't have _________ drums or cymbals.

Every cymbal that I own I like.
I selected it because I liked it.
I keep it because I like it.
There are some days when I say to myself, "Today I Want to Play My K's"
or, "Today I want To Play My 2oo2's"

Cymbals help to make drumming interesting.
A cymbal that sounds good is a good cymbal, no matter who made it.
I'm glade that there are many manufacturers with many different pies to choose from.
I sample every cymbal that I see that I think will interest me.
I can't afford to buy all of the ones that I like so I buy one every now and then.

Bo nobody is saying Zildjians are bad. I for example am saying I am sick of Zildjians after playing them for 30+ years. Great cymbals, but I am over it. There is nothing wrong with my feeling this way.

Bo nobody is saying Zildjians are bad. I for example am saying I am sick of Zildjians after playing them for 30+ years. Great cymbals, but I am over it. There is nothing wrong with my feeling this way.

I didn't get the "zildjians are bad" underlying message in this thread, and I'm not implying there's anything wrong with you for feeling the way you do. I'm just pointing out that nobody has ever told me they would've liked my performance any better if I had such-and-such cymbals or drums.

As much of a relationship we have with our gear, I'm just sayin' they're merely tools to get the job done. Like Craftsman wrenches versus Klein Tools. I happen to play and like my Craftsmans. I will absolutely tear it up on any (how's that for a bit of un-modesty, eh? ;)

Well, I suppose that last bit depends on who I'm playing with...

Bo, tools???? Ha ha, on a light hearted notion, do we really think of our sound sources as tools? Your point made me wonder if they are voices, not tools. Hardware seems to me to be tool like. But my snare drums, cymbals etc I feel are more expressive than screwdrivers.

OK, that's enough! We call our drums and cymbals many names just as a guitar is sometimes referred to as "An Axe"
This thread is getting a bit silly to me.

I have found fine cymbals and drums that I like from every maker.
I also have been playing for many years.

Bo, tools???? Ha ha, on a light hearted notion, do we really think of our sound sources as tools? Your point made me wonder if they are voices, not tools. Hardware seems to me to be tool like. But my snare drums, cymbals etc I feel are more expressive than screwdrivers.

Well, call 'em what you like. Here's how I look at it:

Client calls me to play drums. S/he will pay x amount of dollars for it. I show up and play, they give me a check. I go home and pay the bills with it.

No where in that entire exchange does the client discuss what tools I am to use. They simply want someone to play the drums for their event or recording, or whatever (yes, I can claim to being that kind of whore too). They are assuming I have the right tools to do the job they want to get done, otherwise they wouldn't be calling. If they don't, they would have hired out exactly what they want me to play (I've been there too). When, in this case, the music says "play ride cymbal here", I do so. The client just wants to hear a ride cymbal there.

I may be poking the bear at this point, but you've done gigs like this, yes?

All in good fun, you know ;)

I came home today, and look at what arrived! The color is closest to the fifth picture, the bottom looks like the second. It loves stick marks. Great dry crash and trash. The bell's a little weak but makes up for it with a phenomenal sound.

Attachments

• Agop Vezir Jazz 21 001 small.jpg
    Agop Vezir Jazz 21 001 small.jpg
    911.5 KB · Views: 476
  • Agop Vezir Jazz 21 002 small.jpg
    Agop Vezir Jazz 21 002 small.jpg
    902.7 KB · Views: 508
  • Agop Vezir Jazz 21 003 small.jpg
    Agop Vezir Jazz 21 003 small.jpg
    932.3 KB · Views: 480
  • Agop Vezir Jazz 21 004 small.jpg
    Agop Vezir Jazz 21 004 small.jpg