Lookin' for new Jazz Rides

jodgey4

Silver Member
Guten Abend!
After some previous alluding, I'm pretty excited to announce that soon I'll be ordering a new jazz ride to swing on instead of my Paiste 24" 2002 Ride. I wouldn't sell it, but I wouldn't repeat that purchase :) .
Basically, I've been listening to 'cymbalsonly.com' sound files for a while now, and I've gone through every ride that meets my criteria, not the BIG 3, 21"-22", 1900-2300g, and under $400. For now, I've been looking for just a versatile main jazz ride. Too heavy and they get pingy and almost glassy, too light and they get too quiet and loose. The best ones I've heard have been the pure Turkish companies - Bosphorus, and mostly Istanbul Agop. There's really nowhere to listen to Istanbul Mehmet, Amedia, Diril, and some of the other guys in a way that I can compare them to cymbals I know, because often they are recorded differently and I have nothing as a control to compare them to, so that's out of the question unfortunately. I've narrowed it down to these two contenders -
Istanbul Agop Vezir 21" Jazz Ride 2074g - http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/agop/sf/v/21vj2074k.mp3
Istanbul Agop 22" Traditional Dark Ride 2147g - http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/agop/sf/t/22td2147k.mp3

What would you choose and why? I like the full warm crash and unlathed bottom of the Vezir (I agree with Thomas Lang who says he listens with his eyes as well), and the overall rich character. On the Trad Dark, I like the lower pitch and cleaner wash. I'm leaning towards the Vezir individually; however, I think once I go to add something trashier and drier in the future as the next step (like a thinner Agop Sig/Meinl EDT or a swish), that it might be better to have the Trad Dark for contrast. I've become a fan of smaller, more contrasting set-ups.

So, what would you choose and why? Is there anything else to look at that I missed? Oh, and a special thanks to all the Drummerworld members out there who've taught me a lot, it's all appreciated.

P.S.
As a super-bonus, what ever happened to Matt Bettis' "Siberian Bells" as seen here - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63314 post #11?

Too expensive, and unfortunately fully unlathed 'Turk' style cymbals sound great for lower volume, but they can't always open up all the way to where I like. That's why I like the Vezir series that's only half lathed, best of both worlds. I will say though that Bosphorus' Master Vintage series is one of the best lines out there. Lots of character in them.

Well, I went ahead and placed an order for the Vezir ride. I'll be sure to post pictures when it gets here!

So I take it when you say NOT THE BIG 3 and under $400, that means you didn't even look at the Zildjian Constantinoples? A friend of mine let me play his and if I had the money, I'd get one of those. It's actually good for alot of things, and not just jazz. It just sounds great.

I have checked out many Turkish brands and the one I fell for is Istanbul Mehmet. I will be using them exclusively from now on. They are the sweetest most beautiful cymbals I have ever heard. I just ordered a set last night. 22" Origin dark ride. 15" Sultan hats. 19" X Jazz fusion crash. 17 Traditional crash.

I am very happy we are able to purchase Turkish cymbals these days. I am so sick of the Big Three.

Nice choices wy!
The problem with the Istanbul pies is that they all sound so good that it is almost impossible to choose!
I love mine and I am always on the prowl for another one.
I have Sultan's and Traditional series currently.

Sorry Bo, but the Agops are what the Constantinoples wish they could be. Agops come with more options to choose from, are completely hand-hammered, often cheaper, and sound more refined - yet simultaneously more spontaneous and characteristic. Plus they look great. The K's look weak, ordinary, and machine made. Look at a K, then at a Sultan, Turk, or something special like an Agop Sig, and you'll fall in love before putting a stick to it. The K's just look too ordinary to fully steal my attention.
Where did you purchase your Mehmets? I've really wanted to hear these in context with a kit. I'm a fan the Sultan style cymbals...
BTW these will be going with my 13" Paiste Trad Medium Light Hats. I just need to hunt those down and get them back soon :). I wish I could get those 14" 30th Anniversary hats...

Sorry Bo, but the Agops are what the Constantinoples wish they could be. Agops come with more options to choose from, are completely hand-hammered, often cheaper, and sound more refined - yet simultaneously more spontaneous and characteristic. Plus they look great. The K's look weak, ordinary, and machine made. Look at a K, then at a Sultan, Turk, or something special like an Agop Sig, and you'll fall in love before putting a stick to it. The K's just look too ordinary to fully steal my attention.
Where did you purchase your Mehmets? I've really wanted to hear these in context with a kit. I'm a fan the Sultan style cymbals...

I have a direct contact with the company.

I agree about the K's. No contest. Zildjian seem to be taking the piss. Hand hammered cymbals never hammered by hand??? I am through with Paiste, Sabian and Zildjian.

I have a direct contact with the company.

I agree about the K's. No contest. Zildjian seem to be taking the piss. Hand hammered cymbals never hammered by hand??? I am through with Paiste, Sabian and Zildjian.

It's funny how the only cymbals I like are the hand-hammered ones. Paiste and Sabian's got a few that kinda count as hand-hammered... so I won't count them completely out, but the Turkish companies have more than enough. I'll always go to them first from now on. Thanks guys!

It's funny how the only cymbals I like are the hand-hammered ones. Paiste and Sabian's got a few that kinda count as hand-hammered... so I won't count them completely out, but the Turkish companies have more than enough. I'll always go to them first from now on. Thanks guys!

One contributing factor for me is that I have owned and used those brands for 3 decades. I am over them. Although if you check my gear thread you will see I still own several. But the thrill is gone. It's like a marriage that is past its use by date.

You should also check out these.
KIS turned me on to them.
http://www.amediacymbals.com.tr/

"There's really nowhere to listen to Istanbul Mehmet, Amedia, Diril, and some of the other guys in a way that I can compare them to cymbals I know, because often they are recorded differently and I have nothing as a control to compare them to, so that's out of the question unfortunately."

Too lazy to retype, haha. Long first post, so I don't expect everyone to read it. I don't even know where to buy Amedia and some others to be honest either, but I've heard great things. If I could, I would.

In all fairness, I still like my 2oo2 rides and my K Custom Hybrids.
I still play them frequently.
I haven't turned entirely to Agop's

"There's really nowhere to listen to Istanbul Mehmet, Amedia, Diril, and some of the other guys in a way that I can compare them to cymbals I know, because often they are recorded differently and I have nothing as a control to compare them to, so that's out of the question unfortunately."

Too lazy to retype, haha. Long first post, so I don't expect everyone to read it. I don't even know where to buy Amedia and some others to be honest either, but I've heard great things. If I could, I would.
I have the same problem. I can't go to the store and play all of these wonderful pies.
I simply buy them based on a few sound clips and what I read about them.
So far I have liked every Agop that I have bought.
I am going to try an Amedia soon. I haven't decided which one yet.

In all fairness, I still like my 2oo2 rides and my K Custom Hybrids.
I still play them frequently.
I haven't turned entirely to Agop's

There is nothing wrong per se with any of those brands.

Thanks for your earlier kind comment about my choice Bob.

There is a line I will continue with that is not I M. For splash cymbals I will use UFIP. They make great splashes.

I have to agree with Bo Eder. I have the K Constantinople Hi Bell Thin Ride, Low Cymbal 22 Inch and I love it. Great jazz cymbal for sure but man it has such presence and can be LOUD so it great for rock or just about anything. It was kind of a monster when I first got it, but I tamed it. Did cost around $490, so it is a pretty penny. I went to the zildjian site and cymbals.com to listen and compare cymbals to find a cymbal that would blend well with the zildjians I already had. I wish you could do all combinations of cymbals, drums, drum heads, etc to compare products. Well one day.

I don't have anything against the K Cons either,
I owned one for years. I loved it. Sold it to a friend three years ago.
I wish that I hadn't sometimes.

Well, I went ahead and placed an order for the Vezir ride. I'll be sure to post pictures when it gets here!

Good choice!

Really love the Vezir line. Very smooth lush wash with these pies combined with a excellent mix of high shimmer and dark, complex lows. Nice and controlled with a killer woody stick sound with the rides too.

Something to wet your appetite well you wait...my 20" Vezir Flat :}

Attachments

• Vezir Flat 1925g.jpg
    Vezir Flat 1925g.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 523
  • Vezir {back} 1925g.jpg
    Vezir {back} 1925g.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 534
The first time that I played a flat cymbal I was amazed at the sound.
I have been thinking of getting a flat ride.

Back