Looked at some used Gretsch Renowns today

T_Weaves

Silver Member
These are local to me so I took a run down the store to look at them.

http://www.musicgoroundmonroevillepa.com/p/658650/used-gretch-renown-57-black-5-piece-drum-kit

At $799 I thought they were a pretty nice deal. A little pedal rash and would need some new heads but in VG Condition. I liked BD mount for the rack toms.

Then........... I picked up the floor tom to look at the reso head. OMG, these things weigh a TON !! I can't imagine gigging these around. My Tama B/B's are pretty stout but damn, these Renowns are crazy HEAVY !!

I'm going to pass on them due to the weight but if anyone in Pittsburgh area wants some nice black/white Motor City renowns, you should definitely check these out.

pgm554

Platinum Member
These are local to me so I took a run down the store to look at them.

http://www.musicgoroundmonroevillepa.com/p/658650/used-gretch-renown-57-black-5-piece-drum-kit

At $799 I thought they were a pretty nice deal. A little pedal rash and would need some new heads but in VG Condition. I liked BD mount for the rack toms.

Then........... I picked up the floor tom to look at the reso head. OMG, these things weigh a TON !! I can't imagine gigging these around. My Tama B/B's are pretty stout but damn, these Renowns are crazy HEAVY !!

I'm going to pass on them due to the weight but if anyone in Pittsburgh area wants some nice black/white Motor City renowns, you should definitely check these out.
I've got the bop 57 config in the same color.
I'm from the area(Brownsville) originally,but stuck in the SF bay area for the time being.
Great sounding kit.

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
I loved the sound of my Renowns, but you are right, they are some heavy drums. I actually downgraded from a Renown kit to a Stage Custom because I got tired of lugging the drums around. Went from an 18x22" to a 17x20" bass drum. The Renown bass drum alone weighs more than my current kit.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
From what I have seen on Ebay, that is a great price. Pedal rash can be cover with a piece of rubber like a skin diving suit. My 14 inch floor tom weights more than my 16 inch Catalina floor tom.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I loved the sound of my Renowns, but you are right, they are some heavy drums. I actually downgraded from a Renown kit to a Stage Custom because I got tired of lugging the drums around. Went from an 18x22" to a 17x20" bass drum. The Renown bass drum alone weighs more than my current kit.
Hehe, I don't doubt that! I had previously played some renowns that were already setup and loved their sound. Funny you mention the Stage Customs as I'm selling a set of those today and just moved them up from the basement. Also the 20" BD / 14" FT version. Like night and day compared to the Renowns. Great little kit. I'm glad I got to play them for a couple months. I just don't need 3 kits at this point.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've had a bunch of Stage Custom kits, and I'm always kind of shocked at how heavy many other drums are.
If you've got to move them a lot, you could get really spoiled with the SC's,
or similar sets, just for the weight factor alone.

opentune

Platinum Member
So what is making Renowns so heavy? Shell thickness differences between these modern drums cannot be that large can they. The hardware is that much heavier?

KamaK

Platinum Member
So what is making Renowns so heavy? Shell thickness differences between these modern drums cannot be that large can they. The hardware is that much heavier?
Heavy cast lugs
Heavy cast rims
Heavy metallic foil chevron
Heavy Cast mounts
Heavy 12.7mm FT Legs.
Gloss black lacquer/poly finish
Maple ~> Birch

If you're looking for a lightweight kit in roughly the same echelon, grab a used Signet 105.
Renowns are great for those who want a USA Gretsch kit, but only have $800 in their pocket. (Note, Renowns are taiwanese)

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Yep, they're weighty. That's why mine stay set up at home. I'm not saying I'll never use them for a gig again but for most of my gigs right now the weight plus the long bass drum are not ideal. Not to mention mine has a virgin bass drum which also means I need to use beefier stands to mount the tom(s).

That being said they are excellent quality and sound great. Truly a poor man's USA Custom. Like I've said before, if you took someone who didn't know much about Gretsch and put a Renown and a USA in a similar finish next to it they would have trouble guessing which one was the more expensive kit.