Longer lasting sticks

AVA

I've been rocking out with some of my home made laminated sticks.
They are 7 ply laminated hickory.
Currently I'm just making an A and B weight timbale/rock knocker style.
I definitely don't play lightly and these things are crazy durable. They feel like a regular stick but don't snap unpredictability as there's no natural grain line to fault along.
Might branch out to turning them with an oval tip to be more drumstick like.

There's quite a bit of work to make but I might start making them to sell.
They'd be in the 40CAD price range.

Zildjian do a birch laminated but I'm all about hickory for sticks!

Anyways just thought I'd share.

20230202_141118.jpg

Last edited:
Those look pretty slick. I like the double ended ones like those. I started playing timbale sticks, which last longer and you can turn them around at least until they develop splinters.

Reactions: AVA
Those look pretty slick. I like the double ended ones like those. I started playing timbale sticks, which last longer and you can turn them around at least until they develop splinters.

Thanks. I used linseed oil on these.
The pores on the wood remain open so they have great grip. 👍
I'm kinda bored with expensive sticks snapping. And I usually inspect every pair I buy to make sure the grain travels from end to end... stick prices here are pretty crazy now.

They are 7 ply laminated hickory.
... They feel like a regular stick but don't snap unpredictability as there's no natural grain line to fault along.

Question. Because the plies are glued (I assume), doesn't that create a multiple seams that can snap?

I ask only because of my experience with the original Silver Fox lamo sticks (made by the guy who made them at Ludwig!) The first time I used them (back in 1985) I had a brand new stick splinter and break off along the laminated seams. I don't know how chronic the problem was, I stopped using them immediately. But I've heard similar stories from other drummers.

Hopefully you've got a better system!

Question. Because the plies are glued (I assume), doesn't that create a multiple seams that can snap?

I ask only because of my experience with the original Silver Fox lamo sticks (made by the guy who made them at Ludwig!) The first time I used them (back in 1985) I had a brand new stick splinter and break off along the laminated seams. I don't know how chronic the problem was, I stopped using them immediately. But I've heard similar stories from other drummers.

Hopefully you've got a better system!
Yes, glued. I use good quality glue.
I work in the wood trade as my day job I use 45 gallon barrels of the stuff at a time.
I have a roller system that glues the laminations at the same time and they are in the press in under a min with about 20secs of open to air time.
A good glue joint is considerably stronger than the actual wood.
So far I've really been happy with their performance.

I'm all for stronger sticks, good luck!

If you need a torture tester, I do this to AHEAD sticks eventually:

20230207_163628.jpg

No stick is safe with me. They all eventually break. The above lasted 13 months.

The Zildjian laminated sticks are rock hard, and rock heavy. For me they’re way too heavy, but I don’t I could break them if I tried. It’s difficult to break laminated wood. I imagine the tips would wear out before you would break a stick. I bought the Zildjian to use as a heavy workout stick with the same diameter as my regular stick.

13 months is impressive by any standard. I break Ahead sticks too, but they do last me much much longer than wood.
I have two pairs a Lars Ulrich Model that I bought around 2000 (so yes 23 years ago) and a lighter one that I bought about 2 years ago that I use for my electronic kits. The original pair I had to change the sleeves once. Granted I don't play as much as I would like , even with moderate playing the sticks had lasted me a long time, which is a testament of their ...I don't want to say quality I should say longevity. I have played with all brands of wood sticks and plastic sticks over the years and IMO Ahead meets most of my requirements: The sticks are perfectly balanced, they don't transfer as much backlash to my wrists, the tip is just the right size and consistency to give my ride the ping that I like. The only con I can see is that when your hands are sweaty the sticks feel slippery, but that is true of all sticks unless they have been coated or covered with grip tape. So basically if I was to try to calculate the amount of $$ I would spend in wood sticks vs a single pair of Ahead sticks, I think I would have to buy too many pairs to last me as long as a single Ahead pair would. So while they might seem expensive for a single pair, once you take that into account you are actually saving a lot of money. I know the sticks take a little to get used to, and I also know that some people will never get used to them, but if you have not tried them, I would say at least give them a shot, they might be for you. (Not sponsored by Ahead, I wish I was).

Back