Long road trip practice ideas?

phillips99

I'm stuck in the car (not driving) for 18 hours this week and next week. I can only practice rudiments for so long! Any other dashboard drumming ideas?
JDP

Fuo

Platinum Member
Get the 4 way coordination book. That can be practiced anywhere and still be effective.

Don't crash though... It can require some concentration ;)

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Listening time is as important as practice time, and you don't want to annoy you traveling companions by tapping on things 24/7, so maybe load up your mp3 player with all the stuff you should be listening to but aren't. If you don't get car sick, you could try doing some transcribing.

AtomicFlapjack

Whatever you're doing, perhaps tapping your hands softly on your legs will be better than hitting the dash for 18 hours. the driver would probably send the car of the road just to put himself out of his misery!

(You could use this to learn different polyrhythms.)

burn-4

In situations like this I either try playing various simple beats with an 8th note ostinato on the hi-hat foot but left handed (if you're right handed). You'll be amazed how difficult a simple boom boom gak, boom boom gak is at first- especially with swapping the feet around.

Failing that different rudiments with you're feet to your hands- doubles with you're feet over 2's, 3's, paradiddles etc with your hands. Then 3's with your feet and moving from 2's to 8's with hands through different rudiments- all great for your independence and some are surprisingly difficult at first (i.e. doubles with feet over 3's with hands).

larryz

Platinum Member
I keep one of those hand/wrist strength exercisers in the car for when traffic is bad or to use at stop lights..

phillips99

I just remembered one I used to do on a commute:

I would put the metronome at a ridiculously slow speed (with seconds between the beeps) and see if I could hit the next beep accurately.

JDP

Zero Mercury Drummer

I take the CDs from my drum instruction.books and listen to them. You might not have a kit in front of you, but you can still listen to the exercises.
I like Kim Plainfield's Advanced Concepts.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I have the most patient husband in the world.
That's why I love that my girlfriend is also a musician. She tolerates the inane tap-tappery of my constant practicing. Now that I'm learning brushes she has to also suffer the innane swish-swisherry... that poor girl.