Long lasting changes because of the Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macarina

Silver Member
Not sure how long the LockDown will take and change our daily lives...
.....Curious to your thoughts on what long lasting changes to our behaviors we’ll realize in the future?

For instance I think some things may change permanently from here on out...

- Healthcare... from the healthcare institutions to the healthcare company covering me, and to how my company will cover me.

- Virtual work may be incorporated completely, dependent upon the type of job that it makes sense for.

- Schooling online... full time... dependent upon the degree.

- Buying vehicles online

Other things I think will bounce back to the way it was would be restaurants, vacationing, shopping and hanging out with friends and family.

I envision the Drummerworld forum feeling nostalgic and waxing poetic about days of music and drumming.

I’m just hoping this don’t sum it up.

Attachments

• C52D3F87-7E8E-4BC0-B00C-634DC26B33D4.jpeg
    C52D3F87-7E8E-4BC0-B00C-634DC26B33D4.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 11
Increased environmental awareness - small changes make a big difference when spread out across 5 billion+ people.

Similarly, maintaining a respectful distance between civilization and wildlife and understanding the health risks that occur when they are mushed together.

International travel is mostly over. ESPECIALLY plane flights. People may still take some international cruises, and they’ll still travel to some neighboring countries. But the whole thing of taking a plane flight to the other side of the world is going to mostly stop.

International travel is mostly over. ESPECIALLY plane flights. People may still take some international cruises, and they’ll still travel to some neighboring countries. But the whole thing of taking a plane flight to the other side of the world is going to mostly stop.

I would think cruises would go the way of the dodo bird as a result of the virus. Floating bacteria farms and terrible for the environment.

I don't think, once it's over, life will be much different. Most people need and require interaction with other humans. I think it will be slow at first, but we will all eventually realize the world isn't ending and we return back to how it was.

-OR-

Supply lines crumble, people are panicked and at their limit, governments descend into chaos, anarchy ensues, and it's everyone for themselves.

-OR-

People will wake up, realize we aren't as great as we think we are, and start acting civil and caring about one another. We will provide for the necessities for everyone in life. Food, water, medicine, education, it will all become basic human rights available to everyone regardless of anything. Things like money, social status, and power will become notions of past mistakes, and their importance will become miniscule. People will realize that we all matter, no matter race, Creed, gender, language, social status, whatever. The planet will come together to solve problems that effect us all, and we will live in peace and harmony forever.

I like the last scenario, but expect the first to prevail. However, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the second happens because people.

I think we’ve got some hard times ahead. But eventually I do agree that things will change for the better. People have to suffer before they gain in wisdom, though. And there’s not enough free-floating wisdom around just yet. Suffering will fix that.

- Buying vehicles online

I know that dealers are offering this now, and I think we've all seen the mattress ads where you order online or by phone.

Granted, I'm from a bit of a different generation, but why would you choose a mattress without being able to lay in it first to see if it's comfortable? It doesn't matter if they have an 'easy' return policy, why test the unknown with such a personal, tactile product like that? The same would apply to a vehicle. How do you know how it handles - just by reading reviews and specs?

The same goes for cymbals and drums. Anything that makes a sound needs to be heard in person, or at least in a high-quality recording.

No, I don't think the online car thing will last. Mattresses, too. The millennials will suddenly wake-up to what an iffy process that is, and return to actually trying before they buy.

Bermuda

Here is what I hope DOES NOT happen:
A large majority of people get used to living without going out to listen to live music.

Millennials or generation z? I think millennials tend to be a little further along the curve when making big purchases like cars or mattresses

I kinda agree with this.

Cruise ships have always been mired in bad history as breeding grounds for bad health. They aren't really essential so the day of the cruise ship may be over.

I think airlines will get back on track..... eventually. In some ways they have proven to be important in how we travel.

But personally, I actually think that we travel too much. Too much intermingling and too frequent. Our level of mobility now is just extending further and further. It seems that no one stays in the home anymore. Apparently the world's population lives in airplanes and hotels and are seemingly in perpetual holiday mode.

It's all great until crap like this happens.

The human species will need to look inward now. This is one hell of a hard lesson.

I don't know what's gonna happen but I'm feeling a paradigm shift.

I also think that the medical world is having a HUGE wake up call.

There will be far greater policies and procedures in place for the future.

Much better resources available.

Infrastructure will be far more appropriate.

As an example.........in the ICU where I work, it took 5 DAYS for the renovations needed to improve our department to be completed.

And yet, we've been asking for these changes for the past 8 YEARS!

I think every nation should have an independent Pandemic reserve much like the US has an independent federal reserve. Take the political aspect out of it. That stuff is neither here nor there and doesn't help. Most countries have decent medical care and address epidemics fairly well so mostly prepared for average health issue (yeah that debatable but not my point) but pandemics do seem to be increasing in incidence. So an infrastructure and reserves for these pandemic emergencies-a budget to keep it ready for the advent it's needed. Take the decision out of government but they financially support. A medical surge army or reserve-even train for such events. It takes to long to bring all the elements together in typical governmental bureaucracy so more like the "intergalactic police" from the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still to save humanity from their own stupidity.

We have to recover from the current crisis first. I think it will take years to get the US economy back going again. US could take the opportunity to institute mass surveillance like China has. That would change life in fundamental ways that dwarf anything else we Americans can imagine. Not necessarily the life impact, but the pure psychology of it. Without PPE, either we lose half of our healthcare professionals, or the pandemic goes out of control because they won't put themselves at risk without proper PPE. The current POTUS will surely be voted out due to the loss of life and economic downturn of this crisis. And regardless of whether it's his fault or not.

EDIT: China was the emerging super power leading up to the crisis. They're also the first country recovering from the crisis (and it seems rather quickly, in time for their CBA season) and therefore in a position to find new partners for trade, completely independent of the US dollar. The US being a consumer economy may have to completely crash and start over with manufacturing again, and doing so with complete disregard to the environment in order to be competitive with China. This could be a time of emerging new currency that merges Mexico, US and Canada.

Last edited:
We have to recover from the current crisis first. I think it will take years to get the US economy back going again. US could take the opportunity to institute mass surveillance like China has.

The economic devastation will be pretty bad for the survivors, and for a fairly long time.

As one of the people that implemented the mass surveillance systems and aggregators in the US, EU, UK, MX, CALA, and ZA, I can state with authority that it's been here since ~2006.

Ultimately, the world will recover and forget. In 30 years, snotty 20 year olds will coin the phrase"OK COVID" in an attempt to disenfranchise the wiser generation.

I have my fingers crossed that we find a vaccine sooner rather than later, as respiratory failure is a horrible way for anyone to go out.

I think we’ve got some hard times ahead. But eventually I do agree that things will change for the better. People have to suffer before they gain in wisdom, though. And there’s not enough free-floating wisdom around just yet. Suffering will fix that.

I wish that were the case. History has shown us that humans have very short memories. And they replicate the same mistakes over and over and over again.

I wish that were the case. History has shown us that humans have very short memories. And they replicate the same mistakes over and over and over again.

This. Sadly, I don't think this will translate into any kind of increased awareness or readiness for important matters (climate change, disease prevention, etc).

It may change some fairly big things on a political level, like healthcare policies, etc, but people in general will not change. Once this is over, we'll be right back to being consumers and travellers who neglect to wash our hands properly. Our leaders will happily allow us to do so because they want to end any form of unpopular policy as quickly as humanly possible in order to get reelected.

One thing that it might do on the biggest scale is to completely tip the power balance between countries. If these lockdowns go on for months, some countries will have their economies and maybe entire societies completely devastated by this, while others will get through fairly intact. Take a look at Italy - They're already so deep in crisis that this will take many years, maybe decades, to recover from, and there's still no end in sight for them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back