London Drum Show

Someone's Dad

Got the feeling from some of the recent threads about the UK (Manchester) Drum Show that the London Drum Show is a bit “meh” in a lot of people’s minds. Which is marvellous, because I’ve got two tickets for me and the boy...

Any thoughts, or advice (aside from taking ear plugs) to get the most from the London event? I’m hoping to re-ignite my boy’s enthusiasm for his drumming, because he’s been drifting (just a little) towards his guitar-playing recently.

Cheers, I’ve got tickets for the Sunday and Jimmy Chamberlin’s set on the main stage, but that ties in nicely with Steve White on the education stage, so I’ll make sure we catch that. Looking at the website, Colin Woolway appears to be running a series of shorter sessions throughout the day, so should be able to catch at least one of those - I like the look of his “Double pedals... yes or no?” session. That’s a debate that me and the boy have from time to time.

Colin is a fantastic and inspirational educator. Definitely, definitely go to see him.

If I find myself in London that weekend I might tootle along.

Just got back. Was only there about 3 hours and after the first I felt like I'd seen it all already. Could have left a lot sooner were it not for the Main Stage, Eduction Zone and Masterclass Room.

The layout was poor and the exhibitor stands smaller with lots of open, empty spaces. I know there is always going to be a lack of people exhibiting from companies choosing which out of the two major drum shows the UK now has to attend but I think the organisers need to figure out how to get exhibiters back (i.e. Make it more affordable) or downscale for next year. Was the smallest it's been in the five years I've gone. A shame as I've enjoyed previous years.

Drum wise most the usual major companies were represented (didn't see Yamaha or Pearl though) but hardly any of the usual independents at all. Cymbal wise I Didn't see Sabian there or Paiste. From memory it was only Zildjian, Istanbul and Dream.

Strangely enough the noise was even worse. Bad day to forget my hearing protection and I didn't see anyone handing out free ear plugs like previous years. Ha!

Some good stuff in the masterclass and education zones as per usual but overall it needs a rework for next years event, to say the least. It's only a short-ish trip from my house but if I would have come from further away I probably would have felt a little short changed.

I have no affinity with either the U.K. Drum Show or The London Drum Show and I'd honestly like to see them both (and the companies who exhibit also) do well so that it benefits the U.K. Drumming community, but the London Drum Show needs a rethink/reshuffle for next year- without question as it was well below the UK Drum Show in terms of overall value.

Last edited:
Definitely not an unqualified success, but the advice that keep it simple gave me made the day worthwhile (so thanks for that).

High points - Jimmy Chamberlin, Steve White’s educational session on the clave, and I would have liked to spend more time in Colin Woolway’s sessions.

Low points - the afternoon ACM sight-reading lesson got hijacked by parents signing up kids who “had never played drums before” and the restrictive time limits on playing in the gear hall played right into the hands of the horde of drum heroes who just wanted to show off their “chops”.

Could not have survived without ear plugs.

Last edited:
Definitely not an unqualified success, but the advice that keep it simple gave me made the day worthwhile (so thanks for that).

High points - Jimmy Chamberlin, Steve White’s educational session on the clave, and I would have liked to spend more time in Colin Woolway’s sessions.

Low points - the afternoon ACM sight-reading lesson got hijacked by parents signing up kids who “had never played drums before” and the restrictive time limits on playing in the gear hall played right into the hands of the horde of drum heroes who just wanted to show off their “chops”.

Could not have survived without ear plugs.

Glad you enjoyed the day out.

Funny enough I saw Jimmy Chamberlin and Steve Whites masterclasses also and both were great. Really good to see Jimmy for the first time - despite some technical issues with the audio at the start delaying him playing for a while. He handled it very well though.

Steve never disappoints, very educational and encouraging to both children and adults alike as per usual. He was great in his approach and playing. Great drummer and educator.

Ps the chops drummers are always the bane of these type of shows ; )

I admit to having a slight vested interest in favour of UKDS versus LDS, but I would much prefer that Drumming should be the overall winner.

Was it Olympia again? The acoustics are AWFUL there. However, I do have a photo of dear David asleep, having been led astray by dear Liam the previous night ... But, I digress.

In other news, Steve White is doing North Wales's first ever masterclass, on 1st December. PM me for details :)

Last edited:
Yes, it was Olympia. The acoustics are definitely part of the problem, but invariably two drummers would sit down next to each other and flail away at different rhythms and tempos, each trying to outplay the other with brute force.
Feels like the show needs a bit of a culture change. I’d prefer it if they got rid of the artificial time constraints around playing and if the exhibitors were just a bit more selective over who plays their demo kits.

I really enjoyed the Rhythm technique sessions and I watched some great performances on both the Masterclass stage and the main stage. It was good to watch and listen to drummers who play genres that I'm not generally into!
I was enthralled by the Buddy Rich tribute with two drummers almost conversing in drum with each other! It was a good lesson in dynamics for me.

I was disappointed with the range of gear on show and for sale. It seemed less than last time I went (2015). Although that might have been because last time I was still very much building my cymbal and hardware collection, so it was like a huge toyshop. This year I really wanted to find a Zildjian Oriental Crash of Doom, but had no luck.

Is there a protocol whereby only one stand can sell say Zildjian goods, to prevent undercutting of prices? I could only see the one Zildjian display, and several of the independents, who I know sell Zildjian in their stores, had none on display.

Overall, it was worth my 4 hour round trip and I'd do it again, for the sessions and performances alone.

Back