London Drum Show forum report

Ok, here's a fun video of forum members messing on drums. Warning, it features extreme "Duncan Dancing" (or DD for short eh Elle;). Our stand instigated a policy of no Gospel chops. Instead, we allowed only Billie Jean grooving (well, mostly), then proceeded to allow ourselves the luxury of breaking the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-h4io7INw&feature=youtu.be
Dancing Duncan, or Duncan Dancing, are both great DD's. ;) Love how he steals the show! And the drumming was fun to watch as well, of course. :D

Haha, I'm glad the dancing was captured, Duncan.

One of the highlights of the day for me ; )

Mike Dolbear was recording a live Periscope feed from the show setup afternoon, but Andy didn't get the "live feed" memo. I may have inadvertently joked about the apparent amazing powers of a certain bearing edge design's ability to repel invasions from Mars, & requested the comment be posted on the intellectual property owner's social media.

Thankfully, the worst of the comments were obscured due to mike Dolbear beating a hasty retreat, & anyhow, I just checked, & the video is no longer available (phew). I'll file that under "breaking down door of apartment at midnight" :)
Hahaha. I didn't know Mike was running a Periscope feed. I would have checked it out. I follow him on Twitter but was so busy the past week or two that I haven't been paying much attention. That would have been fun.

It was a fantastic weekend! Being on the Guru stand with Andrew + Co was an absolute dream. Meeting the crowd (I hope to learn who everybody is over the next few weeks) was awesome. Fantastic people. Andrew's previous experience of the show was invaluable too, he knows the perfect food spots! Great to meet Madge, talk pedals, and actually tweak the settings for her as she played! Apologies for the slight 'thread hi-jack', it was the best way to 'join the forum!'

Mark - Malleus

It was a fantastic weekend! Being on the Guru stand with Andrew + Co was an absolute dream. Meeting the crowd (I hope to learn who everybody is over the next few weeks) was awesome. Fantastic people. Andrew's previous experience of the show was invaluable too, he knows the perfect food spots! Great to meet Madge, talk pedals, and actually tweak the settings for her as she played! Apologies for the slight 'thread hi-jack', it was the best way to 'join the forum!'

Mark - Malleus

Indeed, what a perfect way to join the forum! It's really cool that you got to meet them and hangout. :)

Hey everyone, lovely to meet some of you on Saturday - the Guru stall is the place to be! The best part about going early is getting to try gear out before the crowds arrive. Andy I couldn't quite hear what you were saying about the tuning on the Guru kits though - those were really nice intervals to tune to, is there any background to that choice?

The after party was so much fun.. Yeah ok I should probably accept some responsibility for the dancing (although I'll in turn pass some of that over to the bar and a killing rhythm section..) I wasn't there on Sunday though so that video was all you haha ;)

Hey Madge, yeah Mike's a great drummer.. He's not my partner though, we just arrived together.

Take care everyone,
Caroline

Hey everyone, lovely to meet some of you on Saturday - the Guru stall is the place to be! The best part about going early is getting to try gear out before the crowds arrive. Andy I couldn't quite hear what you were saying about the tuning on the Guru kits though - those were really nice intervals to tune to, is there any background to that choice?

The after party was so much fun.. Yeah ok I should probably accept some responsibility for the dancing (although I'll in turn pass some of that over to the bar and a killing rhythm section..) I wasn't there on Sunday though so that video was all you haha ;)

Hey Madge, yeah Mike's a great drummer.. He's not my partner though, we just arrived together.

Take care everyone,
Caroline

What can I say Caroline? You inspired me!

And the drumming was fun to watch as well, of course. :D
Drumming was just good honest fun. "breaking the rules" during the money beat session was a blast :)

Haha, I'm glad the dancing was captured, Duncan.

One of the highlights of the day for me ; )
Jon, if Duncan dancing was a highlight, you need to get out more ;) Enjoyed your playing immensely BTW.

Hahaha. I didn't know Mike was running a Periscope feed. I would have checked it out. I follow him on Twitter but was so busy the past week or two that I haven't been paying much attention. That would have been fun.
Fun indeed, followed swiftly by a law suit :( That wasn't the only potential "hot water" we were implicated in either ;)

Mark - Malleus
Mark, I'd say it was an honour to have you grace our stand at LDS, but of course, I'd be guilty of pure c***tary ;) Seriously, always a pleasure to feature quality on a Guru exhibition stand.

Guys, for those of you who don't know, Mark owns the CNC shop that makes our Origin & In-Tense series hardware. He's also the designer of Malleus pedals & owner of the business. He's not only an accomplished drummer, he's a damn fine engineer too - my kind of person.

Andy I couldn't quite hear what you were saying about the tuning on the Guru kits though - those were really nice intervals to tune to, is there any background to that choice?
Caroline
It's just my default "ear" setting. I tend to use 3rds & 5ths in my tuning relationships, both between drums, & between batter & resonant heads.

Yes, talent at this year's after party was off the scale!

Jon, if Duncan dancing was a highlight, you need to get out more ;) Enjoyed your playing immensely BTW.

Haha tell me about it! I do need to get out more...

Thank you, very kind of you and right back at you! The playing enjoyment was mutual : )

Was lovely to see Madaboutdrums (who is one of the absolute nicest people you can meet)...

Damn, how could I miss such a wonderful compliment!

Thank you Oliver, goes straight to my heart :D

I know Karl-Heinz Menzel of world-famous drum company Sonor is to the right, but who's the bloke on the left? =)

Haga!

Glad you posted this clip Madge, at least I can see it now, I was far too absorbed by the wonderful singer in that song :)

Duncan, you ARE a show stealer!!! :)

I'm really liking that first pic I look really Guru-vy behind a Guru.

I like it too, Guru-vy indeed :)

It was a fantastic weekend! Being on the Guru stand with Andrew + Co was an absolute dream.

Meeting you Mark was definitely a highlight of this year's show, I also thoroughly enjoyed our discussion about your pedal design with Ben in the pub :)

Hey everyone, lovely to meet some of you on Saturday - the Guru stall is the place to be!

After a couple years of cat and mouse chase, we finally met (at last) :)

Sorry - I couldn't hear when you were introducing us :)

Great to meet Madge, talk pedals, and actually tweak the settings for her as she played!

It was rather novel to have somebody other than Duncan at my feet! Mark,
I love my pedal. Tomorrow is my day for adjusting it to work with my killer heels.

Damn, how could I miss such a wonderful compliment!

Thank you Oliver, goes straight to my heart

I love you two. A lot.

No, you were great Oliver, and after some hunting on YouTube I found this clip :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ7fzKdyq5I

There! You're not left out anymore <3

Ohh great stuff!

I wish could have hung with you guys. I have very cherished memories of my trip to London.

Yes, it was GREAT to meet some of you guys. It's the tyranny of distance and the fact that I can't handle the noise.

Again, I don’t know how you do it Andy. You're a force of nature!

True! He gets more done in a week than I do in a year lol

The only downside of the LDS is the forever lasting 15 minutes of each hour where the crowd of drummers display all their gospel chops all at once, it's almost impossible to talk during that time.

It only takes one one gun playing loudly to force everyone else's volume up. The effect is everyone shouting at the same time. It's an odd thing - to approach an instrument and immediately start smashing away. It's akin to being invited to say something and you start shouting at the top of your lungs. While a good thesbian must be able to project the voice there's a matter of taste :)

I want to hear more about this.

Not much to say about it, really. The dear boy keeps kneeling at my feet. He'll tell you it's so that he can look me directly in the face, but I know he just goes weak at the knees when I'm around.

No, you were great Oliver, and after some hunting on YouTube I found this clip :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ7fzKdyq5I

There! You're not left out anymore <3
Well done Henri - Oliver is validated :)

True! He gets more done in a week than I do in a year lol
But it will likely see me into a box early :(

Not much to say about it, really. The dear boy keeps kneeling at my feet. He'll tell you it's so that he can look me directly in the face, but I know he just goes weak at the knees when I'm around.
Mark is just tightening his nuts. It's an engineer thing ;)

Mum used to say, "better to wear out than rust out".
Indeed, that's one of the reasons I do what I do. Taking the easy path has never appealed to me. I have a life, not an existence. Struggle & failure brings balance to the good times. Without it, the successes wouldn't even register as a memory.

As a surprising side note, I returned from the show to find seven venue gig requests for 2016, & another request for me to session on studio stuff. Why? - honestly, I have no idea, but my wife hates me right now :(

BTW, did anyone spot Mrs. Guru on any of the videos? It's her first time at LDS, & despite her best efforts at hating it, she had a great time. She's still jaded from her time as drum widow back in the 80's.

Back