Logo resonant head <-> Roll your Own !

evilg99

Platinum Member
So I recently picked up a Gretsch USA bop kit , 12/14/18, and then also scored a 20" Broadkaster bass drum in the same natural satin maple as an option.

I am absolutely thrilled with the drums - the 18" came with the standard coated white ambassador resonant head with the standard Gretsch USA logo. The Broadkaster came with the same standard coated white head, with the Broadkaster logo.

Problem is, I LOVE Fibersyn resonant heads, and much prefer them to the coated white. So I ordered one for the 18" over a month ago. Still waiting :(

Then I got the idea to try and make my own logo, since I have several Fiberskyn heads, for various sizes.
I got some Avery clear labels for inkjet printers...then found the logo online, downloaded, and used the online Avery label template program on their website. Printed it on a standard Brother ink jet printer.

Better yet, I can make the logo a reasonable size. I think it looks pro. I wasn't expecting these results! I now have enough clear labels to make logos for all my drums...vintage Yamaha, you're next!

So, save yourself the cost of a new head...but some Avery Labels for $10, and print your own - and make them whatever size you need.

Attachments

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
That looks pretty darn good! I'm not familiar with the label printing system. Does the printing process essentially score the letter forms so you can peel them off, or is it a case of spending some time with a craft knife?

D

drumming sort of person

That looks pretty darn good! I'm not familiar with the label printing system. Does the printing process essentially score the letter forms so you can peel them off, or is it a case of spending some time with a craft knife?
I don't think he's talking about die-cut stickers, but the clear backing of the label isn't visible from a distance.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think he's talking about die-cut stickers, but the clear backing of the label isn't visible from a distance.
Ah - ok, I get it. Thanks :) In that case, my only reservation would be potential reflection from the clear backing under changing stage lights.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Hey Andy (good to see you back 'round these parts!) and DSOP;

The label is an Avery# 7663
https://www.avery.ca/products/labels/addressing-labels/avery-clear-address-labels-with-easy-peel-for-laser-and-inkjet-printers-2inch-x-4inch-7663-rectangle-glossy-clear.html

2"x4" clear, rectangle

The adhesive film is very thin; I was concerned about seeing the edges as well, but you have to get really close to see them. I'll try some more pictures with some really bright lights later and see how it goes.