Logo for Bass Drum Head

zildj

I want to put my band's logo on my bass drum head. I have the art in jpg and pgn files. I went to the drumart.com website and designed a head. It looks good. Drumart.com wants $115 for the job, which I'm willing to pay, but they want $70 for shipping, which seems exorbitant. I'm looking for alternative ideas.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Get a pack of sticker paper and print the logo yourself, maybe $5 for a pack of 10 or 12 sheets. Have done for years.

cbphoto

Gold Member
For the price of $185 perhaps you can buy the resonant drumhead of your choice and find a skilled airbrush artist to paint the artwork.

K Chez

I can help you out as this is what I do (vehicle lettering & signs) Tons of options, full print, print /cut, all cut, hand painted, you get the idea. The fact you have the art is the most expensive & time consuming part of the project. Just for comparison. if I were doing a full size decal for a 24" drum with supplied art, I'd be at $65.00 +shipping which should only be around $12-15. (I don't upcharge on shipping)
If you're interested, my contact is: phenomenondesigns@usa.net.

trickg

Silver Member
For the price of $185 perhaps you can buy the resonant drumhead of your choice and find a skilled airbrush artist to paint the artwork.
I've done this in the past - as long as you don't need something continuous bigger than about 10", or you can piece it together, it's very easy to do, and much much cheaper than trying to have a custom logo head made. While a custom kick head is always going to have a professional, polished look to it, if you are careful doing it with sticker paper, you can get pretty close. In my case, once the sticker was printed, I coated it in some kind of gloss clear spray - might have been poly, or it might have been clear acrylic. That way it blended a bit better with the glossy black resonant head I had at the time.

cbphoto

Gold Member
That way it blended a bit better with the glossy black resonant head I had at the time.
Does it matter whether the reso head is black or white or "calfskin"? Is it best to have a glossy surface to apply stickers and/or paint?

trickg

Silver Member
Does it matter whether the reso head is black or white or "calfskin"? Is it best to have a glossy surface to apply stickers and/or paint?
I think it's going to be specific to the individual situation. In my situation, the reso head was the original smooth black Pearl logo head that was on the kit when I got it, so that's how I set it up. If it was a "skin" type head (Fyberskin) I'd probably still have coated the sticker, but I'd have used a satin finish spray.

One nice thing about the smooth head was that later down the road I wanted to take the stickers off, and I was able to use nail polish remover to get the adhesive residue off without hurting the head. Probably won't be able to do that with a coated or fyber reso.

Old Dog new Cans

I know a lot of peeps are down with Ebay. But, something to check into. They have 100% feedback.

RickP

Gold Member
I have had good luck with Inked by Evans. You design it through their website then you order it and pay through your local dealer.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I recently worked with a graphic artist named Erik Zap who created a nice static cling for one of my musical projects that can be attached to a bass drum reso. The nice thing with the static cling is it can be removed and transferred to another head. Erik does great work and can be found on Facebook. He's a super-nice guy who will help you figure out what works for you. https://www.facebook.com/erik.zap.3

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
Just avoid the "Inked by Evans" (more like Stinked by Evans) .I'll admit I have a heavy foot but this should have lasted more than a few months - all from batter side playing, no accidents and etc.

K Chez

Non coated for decals and coated for paint. The other way around will not be durable - paint will crack/flake on a smooth head and most vinyls won't adhere well to a coated.