Lockdown made me clean my cymbals

Stefan Brodsky

I'm one of those people who can't stand grimy cymbals. Mine are polished and looking brand new.

I recently started using Barkeeper's Friend Soft Cleanser and I'm blown away by the results. I used to use Groove Juice for everything but my cymbals would tarnish fairly quickly after being cleaned. They look amazing weeks later after being cleaned with BKF. Highly recommended!
Last week I cleaned up several newer Paistes -20" 602 Classic Medium Ride and an 18" 2002 Thin Crash, plus my Zildjian Custom A 14" Mastersound hats with some Paiste Cymbal cleaner. Worked well. I have some older Zildjians that do not have the brilliant finish and was going to Groove Juice 'em. I will likely try the Barkeeper's Friend SC based on your recommendation.

yammyfan

Last week I cleaned up several newer Paistes -20" 602 Classic Medium Ride and an 18" 2002 Thin Crash, plus my Zildjian Custom A 14" Mastersound hats with some Paiste Cymbal cleaner. Worked well. I have some older Zildjians that do not have the brilliant finish and was going to Groove Juice 'em. I will likely try the Barkeeper's Friend SC based on your recommendation.
Hang onto that Paiste cleaner! It's not available any longer unless something has changed recently.

Let us know what you think of the soft cleanser. It's the best cleaner I've tried yet though Groove Juice is good too.

wraub

I have a Zildjian A Custom 8" splash that I got used and looks like a rust monster sneezed on it... Not sure what to do about the looks, ot even sure how to start, but it sounds good, so i'm not in a hurry. ;)

Rhythm666

I have brilliant cymbals so every now and then I clean them with dish washing soap, dry and polish a bit with a dry towel that's it

yammyfan

I have brilliant cymbals so every now and then I clean them with dish washing soap, dry and polish a bit with a dry towel that's it
Very effective method for maintaining new and like-new brilliant cymbals. It's gentle and it won't hurt logos.

The catch is that you have to start this routine early in the cymbal's life to keep staining and discoloration to a minimum.

Yamaha Rider

I have a Zildjian A Custom 8" splash that I got used and looks like a rust monster sneezed on it... Not sure what to do about the looks, ot even sure how to start, but it sounds good, so i'm not in a hurry. ;)
8" splash? At least cleaning it won't take long.

Yamaha Rider

Very effective method for maintaining new and like-new brilliant cymbals. It's gentle and it won't hurt logos.

The catch is that you have to start this routine early in the cymbal's life to keep staining and discoloration to a minimum.
Anyone use aerosol wax furniture polish? That cleans and would seal them from the atmosphere and repel fingerprints etc.

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
Anyone use wax furniture polish? Th

Anyone use aerosol wax furniture polish? That cleans and would seal them from the atmosphere and repel fingerprints etc.
Naptha (one of the key ingredients in in furniture polish) is a good solvent if you find a drop of Dawn doesn't work. It win't destroy the poly clear coat that modern cymbals have. The other half of furniture polish is usually paraffin, which you can probably do just as well without on a cymbal. All it does is fill the pores and coat the surface with goo. I'd probably desire the paraffin if I played live in an environment with a saltwater mist (the beach, Seaworld, etc) or at a bar with chickenwire in front of the stage.