LM402 tuning driving me crazy

I have the 402 as well. 2020 model. I can't get it to sound bad. Does it sound different with tuning and heads. YES. It's not defective it's me changing the dynamics of the drum. Is my ear different than yours YES. This is probably one of the best snare drums out there. Good Luck and don't give up. Music is about the feel.

Hey Fritz, is your 402 with you or are you waiting for a space to open up so you can try it? The rehearsal space you mentioned in your post.

Supras were always the most easy snares to tune. I used standard coated Remo Ambassadors for the batter and diplomat for the reso. Of course I never owned a newer model. So, of it's the rims or the snares being insufficient, that-really-sucks. If you know a drum doctor who can give you an assessment, then perhaps you can demand a replacement.

Hey Fritz, is your 402 with you or are you waiting for a space to open up so you can try it? The rehearsal space you mentioned in your post.
I’ll be going there on the first of July (Wednesday) so I’ll keep you updated as soon as I can :)

I would have thought you checked these things straight away and returned it. If it makes you feel better, I bought a set of new Yamahas last year and had to have the edges on all of the toms redone.... I could have returned them but I decided it was a good opportunity to get a different edge cut on them and make the common place kit something unique.

Hey Fritz. I kinda re read this whole thread to better understand your problem. I have the same drum you do it's not vintage it's new 2020 so we got that figured out. I have a few questions real quick. Why didn't you call Ludwig or who you bought it from right from the start? I guess that's my main question. But you did surgery on a new 402 taking the gaskets out God knows what else. Are you sure you know what this drum sounds like in real life? Not You Tube? Hope you get it figured out.

Hey Fritz. I kinda re read this whole thread to better understand your problem. I have the same drum you do it's not vintage it's new 2020 so we got that figured out. I have a few questions real quick. Why didn't you call Ludwig or who you bought it from right from the start? I guess that's my main question. But you did surgery on a new 402 taking the gaskets out God knows what else. Are you sure you know what this drum sounds like in real life? Not You Tube? Hope you get it figured out.

because it’s my first ever snare I got coming from electronic drums and I thought it would be a common fix. Then the coronavirus outbreak started just a few weeks after I got the snare so it was a pretty crappy situation. I wouldn’t call it surgery since many people take apart various parts of the snare to oil it or replace it, I did it to diagnose a problem. Kinda like fixing a bike. I have since put the gaskets back on and everything is as-is right now apart from the strainer which is a puresound 24 wire.
Not having played many snares doesn’t help since I don’t know any unique snare sounds. I have only played on 3 high end snares, which are a Pearl Masters Maple 14x5.5, Yamaha Dave Weckl signature maple with dual strainer and a Ludwig Super Sensitive Black Beauty 14x5. Those drums sounded fine without any excess buzz, even without muffling. I have never heard a Supraphonic IRL before so it may be a misunderstanding on my part but until I do, this is a problem for me. So far I’ve not found anything hugely wrong with the drum like a bent shell or a cracked rim, so it should sound just like other supras. I’m just going to have to experiment and adjust until I get the sound I want from a snare. I doubt Supras make a drastically different sound than normal snares...

Is there a quirk of the Supra that’s apparent with every drum that I haven’t heard of?

thanks for returning to my old post, as I told you before, I will make sure to keep you updated. Just a few days left.

Because it's my first ever snare I got coming from electronic drums. Those are your words not mine. I would stop there and re group.

Because it's your first snare ever coming from electronic drums.
Yes I am used to perfect samples but do keep in mind I do use 3 other snares in my practice space which aren’t mine. These do not have my problem even though they are set up very similarly.

Because it's your first snare ever coming from electronic drums.

Cut the guy some slack. It's a snare drum, not a transmission. Anybody can and should learn how to properly disassemble, repair, and reassemble drums, if you want them to continue to function properly anyhow.

Back