Living next to an unemployed toolman!

Piebe

Hi everybody,

Being a drummer i am caught up in a dilemma. I have a neighbor who is unemployed and fixes cars and boats all freaking day. His constant hammering drives me literally up the wall, not to mention i despise his loud mouthing saw. But what can i say about it since he naturally will kick in the door about my drumming, which i don't nearly do as often as he uses his saw nor outside the house like he does. Sometimes i am sitting in the smoke of his labor when i want to catch a breathe of fresh air. What can i do?

I'd get a sound level meter. There are apps, but if you don't have a phone that uses apps, you can buy one at Radio Shack.

Take sound level tests of everything. Your drums. His equipment. Your drums from his perspective. His equipment from yours.

If you approach him honestly and straightforwardly and tell him there is virtually no difference between your drums and his saw, he should listen. That's what I'd do.

Sorry...I don't think they have Radio Shack in Holland. Mediamarkt? Or something like it should have it.

When is he doing this? During the day, or at night? Sounds like the perfect time for drum practice. Why do you think he'll kick in your door? Isn't that what police are for?

Find out if he's collecting "unemployment benefits" from the government. If he is you can always get him in trouble for working under-the-table while collecting from the government. Just call the employment office on him.

It won't help your drumming but at least you can stick it to him.

However, if he is busted by the Feds, he might be forced to take a day job - now he's not a problem...

Last edited:
Jam with your Pal...You are the drummer and He is the percussionist!

Find out if he's collecting "unemployment benefits" from the government. If he is you can always get him in trouble for working under-the-table while collecting from the government. Just call the employment office on him.

However, if he is busted by the Feds, he might be forced to take a day job - now he's not a problem...

Really? You think it's worth kicking a man when he's down just because he makes noise? And you assume he can't get a job just because nothing is forcing him to?

As to the OP . . .

My suggestion would be to just talk with him. Is he an unreasonable person? Is there any reason to be hostile with him? I.e., does he know this bothers you already?

Really? You think it's worth kicking a man when he's down just because he makes noise? And you assume he can't get a job just because nothing is forcing him to?

As to the OP . . .

My suggestion would be to just talk with him. Is he an unreasonable person? Is there any reason to be hostile with him? I.e., does he know this bothers you already?

Sounds like Piebe is worried about getting his "door kicked in" as he says (and maybe his face) by someone who's probably not really into talking.

And are you kidding, if the guy is working so much out of his house he's either got enough money to pay for all those toys (takes money to fix old stuff too) or he's bringing in plenty of cash under the table doing jobs for other people. It's probably both.

And I didn't suggest he can't find or get a job - he sounds like a really hard working guy. Some people prefer to work under the table to not pay taxes.

But, you are right he should go talk to him...

This could be an idea!

There's just too much of this scenario left unknown. Like, how old are you? How old is he? Do you own your current residence? Does he? These "vehicles" he's working on ... are they his .... or other peoples?​
Also .... how do you know he's "unemployed"? Maybe, his working at home is his employment. Certainly, depending on city ordinances, he might not be allowed to operate a business (especially industrial) out of a residence .... but that's info. you need to find out. No one here is gonna know your local ordinances.​

What is wrong with you people? A drummer complaining about neighbor noise? Seriously?

There's just too much of this scenario left unknown. Like, how old are you? How old is he? Do you own your current residence? Does he? These "vehicles" he's working on ... are they his .... or other peoples?​
Also .... how do you know he's "unemployed"? Maybe, his working at home is his employment. Certainly, depending on city ordinances, he might not be allowed to operate a business (especially industrial) out of a residence .... but that's info. you need to find out. No one here is gonna know your local ordinances.​
We both live with are mothers and are way too old to do so, but sometimes shit happens. I finally found an apartment elsewhere so my problem will be solved within a couple of weeks. And how i know he is unemployed? Because he told me.

What is wrong with you people? A drummer complaining about neighbor noise? Seriously?
Trust me, i hardly complain about noise, but the sound of a saw for about 12 hours a day beats an hour of drumming whilst i whisper when doing so.

Sounds like Piebe is worried about getting his "door kicked in" as he says (and maybe his face) by someone who's probably not really into talking.
I was speaking metaphorically, kick in the door as in 'you are a drummer, how the hell can you complain about sound?'
But you got me a little worried now it may become literally too.

We both live with are mothers and are way too old to do so, but sometimes ....
And especially in these times, stuff does happen. In any event, it's really more your mom's decision, if anything should be done. Her, and surrounding neighbors.​
I finally found an apartment elsewhere so my problem will be solved within a couple of weeks.
Indeed, problem solved.​

Trust me, i hardly complain about noise, but the sound of a saw for about 12 hours a day beats an hour of drumming whilst i whisper when doing so.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to do 12 hours of drumming to me. I'd also keep earplugs and noise cancelling phones around.

Hi everybody,

Being a drummer i am caught up in a dilemma. I have a neighbor who is unemployed and fixes cars and boats all freaking day. His constant hammering drives me literally up the wall, not to mention i despise his loud mouthing saw. But what can i say about it since he naturally will kick in the door about my drumming, which i don't nearly do as often as he uses his saw nor outside the house like he does. Sometimes i am sitting in the smoke of his labor when i want to catch a breathe of fresh air. What can i do?

It is not often we hear of a dummer complaining about a noisy neighbor. Trippy.

In most places, it is illegal to operate a business like this in a neighborhood. If he were discreet and considerate, I wouldn't report him. But I'll bet it's an assault on the senses living next to this fellow- noise, junk cars and bad odors. Call code enforcement in your city.

Agree with most of the above especially play/practice your drums when he is making sounds.
Maybe play to his sounds? ....when you are busy with your other hobbies...how about headphones, the kind that you select different sounds like ocean waves, the wind etc? I've
done this when in a similar circumstance years ago. Unless you can afford to get the place
and circumstances you want (most of us can't) it's always a trade-off. Make the most of it.
It is a blessing in disguise that he isn't quiet all the time really. I'd just talk with him.

Back