Live Recording Clip

NerfLad

Silver Member
Hey guys, here's a clip of my band jamming out the end of Ray Lamontagne's "Repo Man". We recorded it live in our singer's living room. I'd love to know your opinion!

My setup:

Mapex Saturn: 22" x 18"
60's Ludwig: 13" x 9" rack tom, 16" x 16" floor
Tama Starphonic Steel 14" x 6" Snare
14" K hi hats
20" Bosphorus Master Vintage
20" K Custom Dry Light Ride
24" Ibrahim Diril Jazz series

Audix D6 in the bass drum, both heads on, i5 on snare drum, D2's on both toms and ADX51's overhead in a spaced pair configuration.

-Eric

P.S Sorry the file is so huge.

Attachments

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Very enjoyable! I'm liking the vibe, your playing, & the drum sound. Considering the recording environment, I'd say you knocked it out of the park :)

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Your playing is great, no denial there. You've got a great pocket and some interesting foot-hand interaction that I could only dream of.

In terms of the recording, it's quite good. It lacks a little depth and the hi hat is mixed very high but it's not bad at all. I'm not sure how I would go around changing things. My first thought is trying to use omnis for the overheads - I use this approach and it gives a sense of slightly more depth, although in a band situation I can see why you went with cardioids.

NerfLad

Silver Member
Your playing is great, no denial there. You've got a great pocket and some interesting foot-hand interaction that I could only dream of.

In terms of the recording, it's quite good. It lacks a little depth and the hi hat is mixed very high but it's not bad at all. I'm not sure how I would go around changing things. My first thought is trying to use omnis for the overheads - I use this approach and it gives a sense of slightly more depth, although in a band situation I can see why you went with cardioids.
Thanks profusely for the compliments and input, Dunc.

I hardly compressed the overheads at all; only about a 1.9:1 ratio with a medium-soft knee, gentle-ish threshold, and around 60% of the dry sound mixed in. I felt like having hot overheads worked for this mix ::shrug:: ____ Keep in mind it's live :)

I would love to try different mic's, but you're looking at every mic I own. Perhaps this year I'll starve myself/expand my collection. Do you find it's more difficult to keep things in phase when you use omni's?

With regards to what you referred to as depth, can you elaborate? If you're referring to dynamics, I'm glad you're calling me out on it. The original version has about 14db of dynamic range, but I bumped this clip up because it's part of our/my press kit and it's just... easier if it plays back closer to the level of nearly every recording you hear nowadays. I much prefer dynamics, and this clip still runs below average at about -8.5db RMS (if I recall correctly). I'll upload the whole song with full dynamic range, if you're interested in hearing it.

Thanks for responding man :)
Eric

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
By 'depth' I'm really referring to the depth of tone - particularly of the snare. I feel as though there is a surface to everything but little in the terms of overtones. It's a pleasant sound, certainly and the drums are definitely well-tuned but I just feel like something is missing. A little more 'room' in the sound would do some good to add a bit of distance to the recording - even a subtle LDC about six feet away would help but I absolutely understand the difficulty of doing this on a full-band live recording.

I don't have any problems with phasing on my omnis but I'm in the fortunate position of having a decently-sized room with a high ceiling (12') that is broken up nicely by bookcases and even a stored mattress against one wall. The drums are near a corner but diagonal, with the stored mattress right in front of the drums. It's just sheer luck really. My overheads are AB spaced, about four feet above the drums and about six and a half feet high in total - that's a guess.

I use these omnis as overheads:

http://www.karmamics.com/shop/K-Micro-Matched-Pair.html

Very inexpensive but very, very good. I bought a pair for £35 and they match much more expensive microphones that I've used with the advantage of being very small and easy to place. Just EQ out some of the 3-5KhZ and you're good to go.

NerfLad

Silver Member
Those are priced absurdly low. I didn't know about them. I think I'll order a couple and experiment with them!

Here's the drum track straight from the mix, and a screengrab to show you how little I'm doing with them. The gates on the toms don't effect the transient sound, just the bleed. Do they sound better here (not being smarmy, looking for honest feedback)?

EDIT: Nevermind the id3 tags on the file, I forgot to change the tagging settings on my encoder...

Attachments

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
The snare on the second version certainly has a little more growl and low-end to it. I think that's the instrument that was bothering me the most. It sounds much more 'forward' in the original (compression?) and the 2.5--4KhZ was quite prominent on the whole recording. The second version doesn't have that problem.