Live & Let Die - revisit

Andy

Honorary Member
It's been 6 years since me + keys + guitarist played this number, so we brought it back into last night's rehearsal to see how it would sound with a different vocalist & bassist. Needs a bit of tidying, but I'm pretty damn pleased with the potential.

While I'm here, this is our second try out of this classic Simple Minds number. It's the live arrangement (with space in the breakdown for audience sing along). Still needs refinement / detail, & a better ending, but it's getting there. This is two clips stitched together. We played through the first half, then discussed and played the 2nd half separately, hence the slight tempo lift.

Live and Let Die, I would have preferred a piano opening instead of a synth keyboard sound. One mans opinion.

Those Exports sound ok i guess...Also, where the heck are you guys rehearsing?
Forums, I'll have you know ;)

Rehearsal room is in a barn complex. This is a small function room / bar. We chose it partly because it's a very comfortable sounding room :)
Live and Let Die, I would have preferred a piano opening instead of a synth keyboard sound. One mans opinion.
Grunt - what are you listening through? Intro is piano (albeit electric) & guitar ;)

For rehearsal, keys are only through a small monitor speaker, & this is recorded on a Zoom Q8 camera, so a bit thin, nevertheless, it still sounds like a decent piano patch to me.

Sounded great. I really like what you were doing with the high hat and the snare around 1:35 . I used to do that a lot , it made me realize I never do it anymore. The Simple Mind song sounds really good also. I've always liked that song. You guys play some really good music.

Forums, I'll have you know ;)

Rehearsal room is in a barn complex. This is a small function room / bar. We chose it partly because it's a very comfortable sounding room :)
Grunt - what are you listening through? Intro is piano (albeit electric) & guitar ;)

For rehearsal, keys are only through a small monitor speaker, & this is recorded on a Zoom Q8 camera, so a bit thin, nevertheless, it still sounds like a decent piano patch to me.
Very good speakers. I think the guitar may be bleeding over. Rock on.

Sounded great. I really like what you were doing with the high hat and the snare around 1:35 . I used to do that a lot , it made me realize I never do it anymore. The Simple Mind song sounds really good also. I've always liked that song. You guys play some really good music.
Thanks Lefty :)

TBH, I don't use that snare & hat snap thing very often. It's a bit of an extreme accent in my world, but when the keys are higher in the mix than they are here, it serves it's purpose.

Very good speakers. I think the guitar may be bleeding over. Rock on.
Thanks Grunt. As this is only a camera capture in rehearsal, the balance isn't what it should be, so I get where you're coming from. "Live", the piano would dominate more and be a more rounded / satisfying sound.

Man that Live and Let Die is outta da park-even after a 6 year hiatus!-great addition to repertoire. Never been a fan of Simple Minds number but maybe you fellas can win me over-sounds promising for audience appeal though which is what it's about (so I'm not going to let my own bias jade my opinion). The band has really congealed into something special and I like the recent additions. That's when you know you're gelling is when you can play a song after a long hiatus and pretty much nail it because the band is on same wavelength. Lefty's Kansas reunion videos of late made me think the same thing-"Wow now that's a band-still got it after all these years". You guys got it too Andy. Damn fine band to be in and you seem to more comfortable in your part I notice-fine playing. I guess it's in black and white for memory issues so video isn't as critical as audio?

I dig them both... Thought you guys did a (more than) fine job on them.

No issue with the keys\piano that I wouldn't attribute to the recording. Certainly in the room must have sounded great.

Love your controlled energy Andy. Very precise yet giving off a great vibe...

Andy, I don't know if you've caught the drift of opinion on this site or not, but we are surely unanimously in awe of your band. Your group represents the pinnacle of what a professional cover band should be, and we all know it. Every member of the group consistently nails their part. There are no weak links.

I've been in bands that were satisfied with "good enough," and I've been in one band in which the leader insisted on absolute loyalty to the original recording, and it was a joy to be part of. The really rewarding part of that group was that it didn't take tons of work to make that happen because all of the band members (except me) were exceptionally talented musicians. That's the case with your band, and it shows.

I'm not saying that your band is the one-and-only best cover band out there. YouTube has a number of them that display the same kind of exceptionalism. But I certainly salute you and all the other great bands who are blessed with great musicians and singers who bring their talents together to give audiences their money's worth. What in the world can be better than doing that - and getting paid for it, too??????

GeeDeeEmm

Man that Live and Let Die is outta da park-even after a 6 year hiatus! Damn fine band to be in and you seem to more comfortable in your part I notice-fine playing.
Thanks Art - it's showing promise. Definitely a lift compared to previous singer & bassist.

Back to more new stuff next - Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" I believe = my kind of groove :)

I guess it's in black and white for memory issues so video isn't as critical as audio?
The video quality of a Zoom Q8 camera is poor. It's party trick is very good sound for the money. I made these black & white mainly because the colour image wasn't that great.

Love your controlled energy Andy. Very precise yet giving off a great vibe...
Thank you :) There's more performance needed for sure. I'm in rehearsal mode here, just trying to see what works, & what doesn't.

I love recording rehearsals. As soon as I review them, I'm immediately into "Oh, that needs changing, or that bit's nice - let's do more of it".

Andy, I don't know if you've caught the drift of opinion on this site or not, but we are surely unanimously in awe of your band. Your group represents the pinnacle of what a professional cover band should be, and we all know it. Every member of the group consistently nails their part. There are no weak links.
GeeDeeEmm
Thank you, but believe me, we have our fair share of detractors too :(

This band does have frustrations for me, mainly based around availability, as everyone is super busy (some in music, some with other work stuff), but when it comes together, the pros well outweigh the cons,

Dang Andy those were some clean 16ths! Love the relaxed flow and time.

Dang Andy those were some clean 16ths! Love the relaxed flow and time.
Thanks Doc :) Although we're playing this a touch faster than the record (as Simple Minds typically do live), it's still one of those numbers that's sensitive to rushing. It's also a number that can feel ponderous if you try to repeat the recorded tempo live.

Back