Live Drums - Nic Pugh and the Bad News

Mr. Pasquini

Gold Member
I haven't been on DW in a very long time but I used to be very active here. Caught this little video of myself with Nic Pugh and the Bad News and I thought of this community. This was during a short tour at The Fuzzy Cactus in Richmond, VA.

Give it a gander!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Love your verse grooving, & my goodness you give it some beef in the chorus!

bud7h4

Silver Member
I like the subtle change in the hi-hat leading up to the prechorus (slightly less closed). The first person I noticed doing that was Rick Allen on the High 'n' Dry album.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I try to put some BUTT in it when needed. Thanks for your response!
A bit of BUTT is a good thing :)

I like the subtle change in the hi-hat leading up to the prechorus (slightly less closed). The first person I noticed doing that was Rick Allen on the High 'n' Dry album.
That's a dynamic change I make frequently, and used by many players to build the vibe ahead of the chorus - an announcement of sorts, & well used in this fine playing example :)

basset52

Great - loved it!. I wish I could look as relaxed and having fun as you do. All the shots people have taken of me shows me concentrating like hell!

Mr. Pasquini

Gold Member
Great - loved it!. I wish I could look as relaxed and having fun as you do. All the shots people have taken of me shows me concentrating like hell!
Thanks!

Smiling and interacting didn't come totally natrually (though now I can't imagine playing without.) Try to actively look at people and smile, and smile big with all your teeth. It takes effort.

When I was a kid playing in thrash metal bands, my girlfriend's mom told me I looked way too stiff and serious on stage. Since then I've been made fun of by band mates for cheesing, but crowds seem to really like it and I'm a goofy guy so it works for me.

I try to look at people in the crowd, I try to smile, I try to ham it up and dance a little when I can.

People go to shows to see you have fun. Give them what they want!