Live And Let Die (1990)

Al Strange

I bloody love this track, and it’s the best Roger Moore Bond movie in my book…even as a hard rocker I was confused by G’nR’s version back in the day, but I guess they just loved the track?! Nicely played @Chris Whitten !!👌👏:)💥

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Thanks Chris!

Bozozoid

It's been so long since I've read your interview in modern drummer. Not to take a left turn here but your nerves may have been frayed a bit? to have counted this tune out with Mcartney. Not only because the tune itself is layered with various twists and turns but you are playing in sold out arenas with a Beatle!. Did you ever once have just a bit of oh shit..live and let die is next!. Or was it full speed ahead..no time for doubts or any negative thoughts. Who has EVER been more gigantic than Paul Mcartney?. How did you prepare mentally?. It must be like preparing to see Muhamad Ali looking at you from across the ring. How did you calm the pre-stage nerves. I've always wanted to ask you this.

Chris Whitten

How did you prepare mentally?. It must be like preparing to see Muhamad Ali looking at you from across the ring. How did you calm the pre-stage nerves. I've always wanted to ask you this.
I guess I was naive and fearless.
We rehearsed for a good four months on and off, which included just jamming together, also playing numerous songs before Paul settled on the ones he wanted to play on the tour. I was nervous before the first show (Oslo, Norway) because I didn't know quite what to expect.
Also, the first American show, which was the LA Forum, there were so many huge stars backstage and in the audience.
I was furious with my drum tech Adam, because I got to the second soundcheck and he said he'd met Gregg Bissonette and invited him to the soundcheck. That's all I needed!!!
'We Got Married' was probably more tricky than 'Live and Let Die'. A longer song, also with different time signatures and some long solos.

Bozozoid

I can imagine how you must have felt having Bissonette at sound check but putting myself in your shoes I'd have shook his hand in supreme confidence saying glad to meet you...he was probably thinking so this is the Chris Whitten everyone is talking about. It is good to know that you can get a little pre-gig jitters to like the rest of us mere mortal beings. Your jitters in front of 20.000 people is just a wee bit different than mine in front of 200 lol.

Chris Whitten

Gregg was a regular in Modern Drummer magazine at the time. He couldn't have been more friendly though. And continues to this day to be very positive and encouraging towards me.

Pootle

I bloody love this track, and it’s the best Roger Moore Bond movie in my book…even as a hard rocker I was confused by G’nR’s version back in the day, but I guess they just loved the track?! Nicely played @Chris Whitten !!👌👏:)💥
Agree with everything you say, except that For Yours Eyes Only was definitely Moore’s best Bond movie 😉

Bozozoid

Gregg was a regular in Modern Drummer magazine at the time. He couldn't have been more friendly though. And continues to this day to be very positive and encouraging towards me.
Um...dont forget YOUR interview in Modern Drummer which I STILL have although a Jonathon Mover interview in Drumhead would be a kicked up version. If I'm not mistaken wasn't Mover On the cover Of the Whitten interview? now that I think of it?. Very cool that Gregg is a positive part of your life..from my DVD he seems like a down to earth guy. Am I wrong in thinking that you are this mystery man?. You make this big splash in drum world then it's where did he go?. Do you purposely? keep a low profile?. This is where a Mover interview would leave no stone unturned. Are you still involved with your vineyards?. Jonathon Mover where are! you when we need! you.

Chris Whitten

You make this big splash in drum world then it's where did he go?. Do you purposely? keep a low profile?.
After McCartney I did year and a half on the road with Dire Straits.
I have several drum sample packs with Toontrack. I have also worked with Roland on drum products.