Little box of fun

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Wanted to try a 20" bass drum and have a little fun kit. Seemed like this was made to order. 20x17, 10x7, 12x8, 14x13 and a 14x5.5 snare too. Amazes me how they can get all this stuff in one little box!

Haven't laid a stick to them. If anyone has one of these kits, what kind of batter heads are you using? Stock UT heads look pretty scary !! LOL

Attachments

• 005a.jpg
    005a.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 381
  • 015a.jpg
    015a.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 376
  • 029a.jpg
    029a.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 382
- Evans G2 coated batters with the Resonant Glass resos.
- G2 coated snare batter, remo hazy snare side
- EMAD I on the bass batter, smaller foam insert, stock reso with kickport

Amazing sound at any tuning and very versatile.

Have fun with them - congrats on your purchase!

Sweet kit..I feel like everyone is getting a set of SCs lately. Enjoy!

- Evans G2 coated batters with the Resonant Glass resos.
- G2 coated snare batter, remo hazy snare side
- EMAD I on the bass batter, smaller foam insert, stock reso with kickport

Amazing sound at any tuning and very versatile.

Have fun with them - congrats on your purchase!

Joseph,

Sage advice! Thank you!

Just went thru my existing head inventory and found a set of hardly used Aquarian Response 2's I could try as a sub for the coated G2s on the toms. I have an Evans Genera HD dry here that I've hated on every snare I tried it on. hehe. Lastly a Remo Emperor X coated I could try on the snare and an old Diplomat reso I pulled off of a used DW snare I bought.

SuperMan.......you're next !! lol

cheers,
Todd

G2 Coated over Reso 7 batters. EMAD Heavyweight with stock resonant head on the kick drum (kick is mic'ed all the time so this combo works well for my rock/country/pop cover band).

I don't use the snare, but I did put a Remo CS coated on the batter side.

G2 Coated over Reso 7 batters. EMAD Heavyweight with stock resonant head on the kick drum (kick is mic'ed all the time so this combo works well for my rock/country/pop cover band).

I don't use the snare, but I did put a Remo CS coated on the batter side.

Do you use a ported stock bass reso? I'll be mic'd all the time. Was thinking maybe a 4 or 5" hole in the reso. I'm not crazy about those kickport thingys.

I have the same kit and color but with the 22 bass and 16 floor. Added an 8 and 13 rack and the 14 floor so its now an 8 piece. Absolutely love them. I used the stock UT heads for quite a while....they're not a disaster. Good tuning along with a little moongel or whatever and they sound okay.

Swapped them for EC2's on the toms but kept the UT on the 8" although will be changing that. Still have the stock bass drum batter head with an Evans pillow inside. Sounds good to me at least. Changed the snare head several times and currently experimenting with an Evans black hydro.

I'm still not 100% sold on the clear EC2's and will probably try something else at some point.

Last edited:
Very nice. Great look, sizes. Did that all come in one box? Wow....

Very nice. Great look, sizes. Did that all come in one box? Wow....

Hey thanks everyone, and yes it's all in one box. Just set it up about an hour ago. What a nice little kit! Snare is going to take some effort and experimenting but the toms sound great even with the low-end UT stock heads. Kick has a nice feel and attack but will probably need a better head on the batter side. No rush though as I didn't buy this kit to pour money into it. Probably a new kick head and that'll be that. I've got 3 other snares I can use with it.

What a nice kit this is for someone on a limited budget. Finish and bearing edges are VERY good quality. YESS system will take some getting used to for me but appears to be very stout. Lugs and chrome are nice as heck! I'd play out with this kit tomorrow! hehe

Attachments

• 006a.jpg
    006a.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 028a.jpg
    028a.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 320
  • 023a.jpg
    023a.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Any photos of the edges and shell construction? I know you just built the kit and are probably having fun playing it, but for informational purposes do you care to show some images? I'm always curious to see how things are made.

Hey Tom, I'm going to play them as is for a week or two just to get a feel for what I have but when I swap the Aquarian Coated Response 2's on there for a test run, I'll take some pics of the bearing edges for you. I put the floor tom on a glass top coffee table and it sat dead flat on both top and bottom. Put a level around it too while on there.

In the meantime, here's a relatively recent review of them since the 2014-2015 upgrades that will give you some info on the construction of them.

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/drums/yamahas-stage-custom-kit-611263

cheers,
Todd

My only complaint about this kit was the the inside edges of the hoops on the kick drum are unfinished. I used some clear rub-on poly lacquer on them to protect the wood from fingerprints, but I would have liked to have seen them finished out of the box. It seems like such a small cost savings that I can't imagine why they would have made that call.

My only complaint about this kit was the the inside edges of the hoops on the kick drum are unfinished. I used some clear rub-on poly lacquer on them to protect the wood from fingerprints, but I would have liked to have seen them finished out of the box. It seems like such a small cost savings that I can't imagine why they would have made that call.

Yeah, that is kind of funky. What was the product you used on the hoops? I don't want to mess them up. I would have liked 8 lugs on the 14x13 FT too. Although I was able to tune it up pretty easy. I expect a certain level of "cheapness" on a kit in this price range. It makes me appreciate my higher end kits.

Yeah, that is kind of funky. What was the product you used on the hoops? I don't want to mess them up. I would have liked 8 lugs on the 14x13 FT too. Although I was able to tune it up pretty easy. I expect a certain level of "cheapness" on a kit in this price range. It makes me appreciate my higher end kits.

Put some painters tape over the painted side of the hoop and sand the unfinished areas of the hoop to 400 grit. Apply a couple coats of shellac to the unfinished areas of the hoop (sanding between coats) and finish it off with a final sanding up to 800 grit. You can apply a coat of Johnson's wax to the newly shellaced areas and peel off the painters tape. Voila!

Put some painters tape over the painted side of the hoop and sand the unfinished areas of the hoop to 400 grit. Apply a couple coats of shellac to the unfinished areas of the hoop (sanding between coats) and finish it off with a final sanding up to 800 grit. You can apply a coat of Johnson's wax to the newly shellaced areas and peel off the painters tape. Voila!

Cool, thanks ! Just an FYI as far as how the kit plays, the only thing I've done is change the stock head on the snare to an Evans Genera HD Dry. That head can basically tame any low budget snare. The rest of the kit is bone stock and sounds pretty darn good.

That is one nice kit...drum on! Peace and goodwill.

That is one nice kit...drum on! Peace and goodwill.

I sold them already. I wasn't crazy about the sound. Kind of generic. Wanted to try a 20" bass drum and that really didn't cut it either. Thanks for the kind works though.

Whatever you do, steer clear of Yamaha Gigmakers. They are the worst thing Yamaha ever made. And I love Yamaha stuff, all of it. I too was looking for a 20" bass drum a while back. Not many offerings. I also got the Sonor Players kit, 20 x 12 BD. 10 and 14 toms. I like that and use it regularly.

I'm surprised you sold the SC. Even Tony was singing their praises, and he has the birch kit. 17 is kind of deep on a 20" drum. A 20 x 14 is more like it.

Back