Listen to your hearing

Towards the end of last year I started to suffer from a low pitched hum every night, often accompanied by a high pitched buzz. I've had what I consider to be minor issues with fluid/infections in the past but after a couple of weeks I decided that I needed to seek help as it actually interfered with watching TV and it wasn't going anywhere, I went to see a nurse who couldn't find anything so advised a nasal steroid and decongestants, if that didn't work she'd send me to ENT. At the same time she gave me a flu jab and checked my blood pressure which is where things get "interesting" because I was in the grip of full blown hypertension, The ear issue went on the back burner while I focused on monitoring my blood pressure for a month. After a fortnight it it was still so consistently high that I got back to the nurse and requested medication (I knew what I wanted but a cardiologist friend confirmed my thinking). During this time the ear issue went away, my evening BP is now averaging at around 130 over 80 which given that it started at 180/120 is reason to celebrate.
None of which helps you Andy other than mentioning that sometimes even worse issues can be headed off following a visit to your GP or Nurse.

I always thought that my hearing loss was attributed to drumming/loud music and shooting guns without protection. I want to an audiologist last year because my family s tired of me saying "what" all the time. Come to find out, the loss of hearing in my left ear is most likely from a childhood virus. I used to get strep thought all the time as a kid. So, I now have a custom in ear hearing aid in just my right ear. Coolest part is that its Bluetooth so i can listen to music on my phone etc. Also, thank god for health insurance, it was 4800 bucks but i didn't have to pay a dime.

Thank you all for your supportive & informative posts = much appreciated. Primary purpose of my post is to encourage regular checking / comparison between left & right hearing.

OMG Andy. You must be really shaken over this.. Like your whole world must seem like it's permanently changed now. I'm praying right now this is just temporary.
Thanks Larry. I'm informed the low frequency loss to the left ear stands a significant chance of being permanent. I can take that, as low frequencies are omni directional, It doesn't change my overall low frequency perception so long as I'm listening with both ears. Of course, things could progress, & that could be a much more negative impact.

Andy since you had a brain stem stroke do they think this may possibly related to that? Your 8th cranial nerve (Vestibulocochlear) exits the brainstem.
Thanks Art - this is an avenue currently under investigation.

Back