List of boutique builders

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I wonder if Conway are still a thing.

In like 05-06 over at the mxtabs drum forums where I hung out, they were absolutely huge in their hype. Several forum members got custom orders for them, I think more people had Conways than all other boutique brands combined. They used Keller shells, but they were pretty inexpensive for custom orders.

vyacheslav

Ellis Drum Company from Minnesota
Holloman Custom Drums. A small father and son business out of Toledo, OH (where I was born). They make great stuff. Plus I am friends with the son (Robby), so I wanted to give them props here! Excellent craftsmanship and outstanding customer service.

RickP

Gold Member
I wonder if Conway are still a thing.

In like 05-06 over at the mxtabs drum forums where I hung out, they were absolutely huge in their hype. Several forum members got custom orders for them, I think more people had Conways than all other boutique brands combined. They used Keller shells, but they were pretty inexpensive for custom orders.
They went under years ago

Seafroggys

Silver Member
They went under years ago
I seem to recall the guy got a little behind on his orders because of how popular they were getting, but considering how cheap the drums were for the quality they were (that the other forum members swore by) probably just couldn't make enough money to make it worthwhile, and couldn't keep up on the demand without sacrificing quality. You can win with high volume, low margin, or low volume, high margin, but low volume and low margin is tough.