List of 100+ jazz standards

If you consider a restaurant or corporate gig to be bona fide jazz settings, good for you. My jazz experience over the past 50 years has been in jazz venues. There would be empty tables if they had to sit through Autumn Leaves.
Please excuse me while I bow to you Sire

You are clearly above all of us here

please allow us to bask in your greatness just for a few moments ... please sir ... and thank you

I doubt that Autumn Leaves would be as famous without Jazz versions and tons of standards were musical songs or popular songs before, so it is a Jazz standard. This thread is about getting started and to me that means joining local sessions and meeting people that you can play with. In the end that matters more than any list (of course they are helpful to learn about other tunes) - unless you live in place with 10 Jazz clubs, you'll play with the same 20 musicians most of the times, so you should learn about their repertoire first. For example, I often see a singer that wants to play Route 66 - it might not thrill lots of Jazz fans or make any Top 100 list on a global scale but it's a regular local song. And if you join a session as a novice, then some other players might be rather new to Jazz, too - so you might play something like Fly Me To The Moon or Cantaloupe or whatever they've learned first. The more seasoned players who think those songs are played out, can take a drink in the meantime or play it nonetheless and make it more interesting.

Any number of these pop standards can be given a jazz interpretation. The same can be said for the Beatles' catalog or any other popular song. When they do get called it's more out of recognition of the listener's comfort zone. I can't remember doing any pop standards in a jazz concert setting.
Oh, I would question your actual background in jazz then. Those tunes are standard jazz literature and they get played all the time, in all settings where jazz musicians play and perform.

My jazz experience over the past 50 years has been in jazz venues. There would be empty tables if they had to sit through Autumn Leaves.
So you have 50 years experience playing in jazz venues where people would pass on Autumn Leaves but in the same 50 years that song has been recorded by Wynton Marsalis, Chet Baker and Paul Desmond, Jim Hall and Ron Carter, and Keith Jarrett a couple times. And that's just in my collection off the top of my head. What are these premiere selective jazz venues you've played?

Last edited:
Back