Liquid Wax Recommendations?

leftover7755

Hey all! I have a DW piano black kit that I want to keep clean. DW emailed the following info:

"For a thorough cleaning, we suggest you remove all lugs and hardware from the shell. Clean the drums with a solution of mild detergent (dishwashing soap works well) and water, then dry completely with a soft clean cloth. To add a great shine, procure a petroleum-based liquid wax from an auto parts store. Follow the directions on the wax using small amounts on a soft clean cloth. Applied sparingly will yield the best results."

Can anyone recommend a "petroleum-based liquid wax" that is safe and they've used before on their kit? DW won't recommend an actual brand to me.

Thanks!

Paul Blood

I've had the same Yamaha natural wood finish kit since 1980 and I don't I think ever waxed it. When I take it out, it goes in cases- still looks pretty darn good.

leftover7755

Last edited:

Ghostin one

Not sure if DAWN is considered a "mild detergent", but a drop or two in a cup of water shouldn't hurt anything.

Just be sure dry it off as you go, and avoid any bare wood, if possible.

someguy01

Platinum Member

I-P

Use a good iso alcohol prep spray (also automotive) beforehand to remove all residue from the surface, (follow their directions on applying). Then spray wax.