Liking my Supraphonic

P33v3

I traded my Crush Acrylic 14 X 7 snare for a new Ludwig Supraphonic. All I can say is wow. Now I understand. It is quickly becoming THE snare in my kit. My go to snare has been my DW 14 X 5 Collectors Copper and it still is but I'm really digging the Supra. I have a fairly nice collection of snares but if I had to pick just a couple the Supra would be one.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I just got my Supra (LM402) a couple years ago and after having played drums for 30-ish years, all I could think was: "Where have you been all my life?"

Crazy that such a simple snare can sound so gorgeous. I picked up a Black Beauty a few months back and have been using it exclusively ever since, but last practice I thought I'd put up the Supra just to see... man, what a great drum!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
My old Gretsch COB is my version of your Supra.
I purposely put it away from time to time so that it is even more of a treat when I take it out again.
There is nothing like your fav snare.
Good luck with your Luddy.

P33v3

Yeah my Black Beauty is due here end of April. We'll see how it stacks up against the Supra and the others.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Yeah my Black Beauty is due here end of April. We'll see how it stacks up against the Supra and the others.
I'm afraid it stacks up quite well, unfortunately, which means you'll forever be flipping coins to decide which to use!

S

sticks4drums

They stack up quite nicely. Maybe someday I'll own a Black Beauty.It will be the holy trinity of Ludwig's.
PS Congrats on owning a great drum!
Very nice buddy. I have the one your missing. Maybe we could trade for a while. How did you get the top one with tubes. Was that a special addition?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Very nice buddy. I have the one your missing. Maybe we could trade for a while. How did you get the top one with tubes. Was that a special addition?
They can be ordered that way very easily from Interstate music. I would however call Shane up at DrumcenterNH and ask him if he has one available. A lot of dealers will be returning from NAMM this week with tons of gear.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Hammered shell...awesome!!
Try replacing the plastic tape with snare cord and see if you like the difference. It makes a subtle change that some people like.

S

sticks4drums

Hammered shell...awesome!!
Try replacing the plastic tape with snare cord and see if you like the difference. It makes a subtle change that some people like.
Yes I have heard that. Plus the cord just looks way better. I will give it a try. I also like your throw's better than mine. 86's instead of 85's. The store owner told me to leave the original because it is part of the sound of the drum. Will see.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I think you all understand why the supraphonic,in its many variations,is the most recorded snare drum in history.Live or in the studio,it just delivers a timeless,classic sound,in a fairly wide tuning range.

And don't forget the ugly red headed step child...the Acrolite.I just replaced the P-83 on mine with and NOS P-83 after 47 years of service.Not too bad.:)

Steve B

S

sticks4drums

The cheap stock throw off on my Black Beauty is very smooth, it just looks like something my son made in Machine shop. One worry I have. If we all buy the same snare, aren't we all going to sound the same. :)

P33v3

The cheap stock throw off on my Black Beauty is very smooth, it just looks like something my son made in Machine shop. One worry I have. If we all buy the same snare, aren't we all going to sound the same. :)
I already replaced the throw off with the P86. I will be doing the same when the Black Beauty gets here.