Lightweight Drums and Hardware

Chuck Martin

I am interested in reducing the weight of my drum kit. I am 76 and play in four bands. What can you recommend ? My current kit is Pearl Master Custom, with double braced cymbal stands ( two, one with a boom arm extension), double braces hi hat and throne. My bass is 20”, side tom 10” and 13”, floor tom and snare are 14”.

Chuck Martin

RickP

Gold Member
I have two lightweight hardware packs I use:
I use the Tama Classic hardware pack along with one extra Tama Classic for one kit - this hardware is fantastic and a far better design IMHO than the DW Ultralight I used to own. I had all sorts of niddling issues with the DW Ultralight. Not one instance with the Tama Classic hardware pack.

The other hardware pack I use consists of 3 x Canopus Jeff Hamilton flat base stands, Canopus Lightweight single brace hihat stand and a Yamaha Crosstown snare stand.

My personal preference is for the Tama Classic series hardware pack with the extra stand. The included padded hardware bag is compact, but still has room for either the Tama Classic series tom stand or the Sonor single tom arm that I use with my kits for mounting the rack tom depending on which kit.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have a Ludwig club date kit with Dw 6000 hardware. The 14x20 kick is very light. The fl. Tom and rack Tom are not as noticeably lighter than my other drums. I think the are lighter though. The DW hardware is pretty good, but the hi hat stand is a little wobbly, but it still does it’s job.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I'm in same boat as you. I'm looking at lite kits with 18" kicks.

I use a cymbal mount on kick drum, so that saves weight of one stand.

I put rack tom on a lite snare stand. The snare stand is lighter than rack mount on kick.

I use DW lite hardware. It's very lite and comes in a heavy bag.

I don't use any boom stands for cymbals. Booms are heavier than normal stands.

I am interested in reducing the weight of my drum kit. I am 76 and play in four bands. What can you recommend ? My current kit is Pearl Master Custom, with double braced cymbal stands ( two, one with a boom arm extension), double braces hi hat and throne. My bass is 20”, side tom 10” and 13”, floor tom and snare are 14”.

Chuck Martin