Light tripod hi hat stand - Thoughts?

Jml

Was looking for a light hi hat stand. Came across and got the GLRHH-SB stand from Gibraltar. Selling point is the telescoping rod which “disappears” into the upper tube when breaking down, in order to save space. It is single braced and lighter than most hi hat stands. It also goes as low as you want so you don’t have a rod sticking out high above the hi-hats when playing. I’ve seen one or two reviews about the rod either getting stuck or sliding down during play. I also notice the rod doesn’t screw into anything, even though it has a thread on the bottom, indicating it SHOULD be screwed into something. Anyone have first hand experience with this hi hat stand? Haven’t had a chance to use it on a gig yet. Only practiced with it a little at home, and it seems stable. Don’t want a flat based hi hat stand due to their issues, but am looking for a light tripod based hi hat stand. Any input from you guys would be helpful.

P.S. Another option would be the old, vintage Ludwig SpurLok hi hat stand. Would that be a safer (less likely to break down during a gig), better option?

I had been using the old Ludwig HH to save weight but being it was old it was a bit worn. I replaced it with. Canopus which was almost an exact copy.

I am looking to get a small, light weight HH stand to replace my 1955 Ludwig one...don't want to put any more wear and tear on it...will follow this thread.

Looked up the one you referenced, is it the 6707?

I am looking to get a small, light weight HH stand to replace my 1955 Ludwig one...don't want to put any more wear and tear on it...will follow this thread.

Looked up the one you referenced, is it the 6707?

No, its model number is the GLRHH-SB. It’s single braced.

The Yamaha crosstown is apparently very good. I've not had first had experience but I've heard very good things on here and on FB. In the UK they are priced similar; around £81.

Any issues with the Crosstown hi hat? I know about the lack of tension adjustment, and swivel to accommodate a double pedal, but I don’t use one.

I like the Yamaha Cross Town Hi-Hat stand. Very light! The heaviest thing about it is actually the footboard!

I also love the old Ludwig 1123-1 "Spur-Lock" Hi-Hat stands. They are reliable, very light, fold up very compactly, and best of all, look cool!

So I had a chance to try the Yamaha Crosstown hi hat stand. Didn’t love the tension it was set to, and it can’t be modified - so I passed. The store had a vintage (but cleaned up) Ludwig Spur Lok hi hat stand as well. Even though the tension can’t be changed, it felt lighter and easier to play. Bought it and took it to rehearsal tonight. It worked perfectly with my Paiste hi hats! Loving the light weight and great response. May become my go-to hi hat stand!

Are you talking about the two leg hi hat stands? I have a Pacific version that I love. It's great because it accommodates the double bass drum pedal (I still can't play double bass even though I have the pedals set up) and it's lighter because it doesn't have the third leg. And it's pretty beefy.

So I had a chance to try the Yamaha Crosstown hi hat stand. Didn’t love the tension it was set to, and it can’t be modified - so I passed

The Yamaha is a great lightweight stand, but yeah, the spring tension is a little soft and not adjustable. So, I mount the top cymbal about an inch higher and it sits and plays just fine. Even better is the price, $129!

light weight is important but one thing that you wont regret looking for is swivel legs. I constantly swivel the legs on my Yamaha stand when setting up at gigs, each space is a little different and being ably to move the legs just an inch sometimes makes all the difference.

I've got an older Tama hh stand with swivel legs. Got it for a song, and doesn't weight a lot. It's great!

I have the Yamaha Cross Town Set around 6 mths. Hat Stand is 100 Euro. I like it very much. Similar tension to Yamaha 600 Hat Stand which I find comfortable. Very light but stable and can take all my playing hits. Can't rotate the tri-pod legs though, this isn't a hugh concern for me. I have no experience of vintage light weight hardware. I highly recommend this new version from the shams in Yamaha cuz it's robust and practical. Just don't add heavier hardware into bag when travelling. Peace out lad's, keep playing

Just an FYI, if you want a little more tension on your hi-hat you can add it. If you take apart the lower assembly (separate the lower pull rod from the foot board to get at the internal spring), you can add a nylon spacer from a hardware store. Put the spacer in between the top of the spring (furthest away from the foot board) and the washer that the spring rests against and compresses against. The wider the spacer, the more tension it will add. You can experiment with different widths of spacers.

I've done this before and it has worked well for me.

I use this. Pearl H-830. It's light because it's inexpensive, only $85 USD but not cheaply built. I have been using it for a few years now with no issues. I was skeptical about the no heel plate thing, as I've always had heel plates. It turned out to be a non issue. It has no spring adjustment, because it's inexpensive. I've felt no need to adjust the tension. The footplate does swivel. The rod can hide in the bottom part for travel. It's light compared to every other hi hat machine I've owned.

Last edited:
I have one of these. Has the best of many worlds including swiveling feet, lightweight, decently-robust tubing, and tension adjustment. Doesn't come with one but I added my own memory lock from my spare parts to the downtube.

I ended up returning the Gibraltar hi hat with the telescoping rod. I realize I need some part of the rod to extend beyond the cymbals because I put my tambourine on it. Plus it wasn’t much lighter, if at all, from my regular Tama 200 series hi hat stand. So I’m using my Tama or the Ludwig Spur Lok, which is fantastic and REALLY light. Great find.

Back