Light stick lover - can't win

Sometimes a very minor thing, such as stick choice, can have a major impact on sound and feel. I always loved the subtle differences that can be made or heard by slight changes in gear, technique or in the acoustic variations that arise from placements in a room, etc. For many people, this is boring and analyzing the sound and feel of drumsticks is almost irrelevant. That's fine, if that 's how one feels.

For me, I am almost instantly annoyed when watching a demo video, especially of cymbals, and they don't bother to say what sticks are being used in that video. Some will make a super long list of every little thing that was used to make that video but somehow feel it unnecessary to reveal the piece of gear making most of the sound; the sticks. The sticks is one of the first things I want to know when listening to other drummers.

Last edited:
Sometimes a very minor thing, such as stick choice, can have a major impact on sound and feel. I always loved the subtle differences that can be made or heard by slight changes in gear, technique or in the acoustic variations that arise from placements in a room, etc. For many people, this is boring and analyzing the sound and feel of drumsticks is almost irrelevant. That's fine, if that 's how one feels.

For me, I am almost instantly annoyed when watching a demo video, especially of cymbals, and they don't bother to say what sticks are being used in that video. Some will make a super long list of every little thing that was used to make that video but somehow feel it unnecessary to reveal the piece of gear making most of the sound; the sticks. The sticks is one of the first things I want to know to when listening to other drummers.

But I would think stick selection is just one of many ingredients that result in sound. Personally I think that touch and technique are far more important. A skilled drummer can get a multitude of sounds out of their sticks. Assuming that a given sound coming off the cymbal was a result of a given stick type is a potential over-simplification.

Have you tried Vic Firth 7AN hickory? They are slightly shorter than the Regal Tips ~15 1/2” x 0.512” (approximate) diameter. Nylon tips. Let me know if you can’t find any and I’ll send you these since I don’t really use them much.
Thank you very much. I have tried other 15 1/2's, and I concluded I really need the 16. Thanks again.

Back