Life n' Drums

Brian

Gold Member
Anyway, back to Roy...

I hope to be playing until I'm 100 plus as well. At age 46 I'm still playing speed metal. (among other things). Most of my work colleagues are playing golf and are 30 pounds overweight.

If you work out, eat right and take care of yourself, there is no reason why you can't be playing right up until its your time to check out. I doubt I will be slamming metal in 50 years but they will have to drag me away from the drums kicking and screaming...
He's the man, no doubt about it. Most of us will be lucky to live to see 80, never mind play until 80.

My grandfather knew Roy Haynes personally from playing clubs, ballrooms and etc. in the Boston area. He had called Roy "just a kid" when I would drop his name, which was funny to hear as Roy was around 75 then.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Hey guys. This thread caused me to do something today that I have been contemplating for a while.

I recently purchased some new cymbal stands and a hi hat stand. Heavy duty stuff for playing gigs. These six stands along with my snare stand and the legs to my floor tom weigh a ton ! I had them all in one case; at least 50 lbs. or more.

I went out today and purchased two suitcases with wheels from a thrift store. I split up the stands between the two suit cases.

Oh my what a relief. Now my hardware is easy to lift.
I think at my age, actually any age, there is no need to get hurt hauling my equipment around............

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
Larry nailed it. You are what you eat. Organic food is more expensive in the short rung t oooooo much cheaper in the long run !!!

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I think about people like Roy and Louie, Buddy and Uncle Ed (who we just lost recently) and I believe they were from a generation that produced the 'Lou Gehrig's' of the drum world
Guy's who kept going until they couldn't anymore. Their bodies gave out but never their passion for playing music.

I also think about my Dad who we lost at 72 yrs.old about 15 years ago and how I want to do whatever I can to stay strong and healthy since heart disease runs in the family.
This is a great subject Abe and here's a little inspiration from one of my hero's burning on the drums at a mere 72 years old himself... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cov9ZrqBoAI

Big Foot

Silver Member
aydee, I would have loved to have had beers with you after that show.

Getting old(er) is something that's always on my mind- not dwelling on it, but conscious of my limits as I age. I lost my father to a heart attack, he was 45.

I work with two guys in a small office and we're all 49. We bitch and complain about aches and pains all the time. The thing is they complain about sore backs or knees from doing a big weekend of golf or renovations. I bitch about my aches from long hours on my bike or skateboarding (in concrete pools).

The difference between my complaints and theirs is my is what I call "good pain" from regular physical activity and it's very temporary. And it also means my body is getting stronger and staying strong. Their aches and pains seem to be chronic from being sedentary.

The take-away message here is; Use it or lose it.

If Roy Haynes wasn't playing as much as he does...he wouldn't be able to play as much as he does.

ps, yes the skateboard is not really what the doctor ordered, but hey we all have our vices.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I had a chance to work a Louie Belson clinic, and then again as a camera man for a private concert Louie's' band did in the 90's. Both times it struck me how frail he seemed away from the drums, but behind the drums he was as flexible and energetic as any 20-something. One minute he can barely walk, the next he's pumping out 16ths on double bass drums.

It gives us hope.

Although thus far I have the opposite problem. I'm exercising way more than ever, and eating healthier than ever, over I feel like I'm better shape than I have been in years, yet none of that shows up when I sit down behind my drum kit.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
"I'm exercising way more than ever, and eating healthier than ever, over I feel like I'm better shape than I have been in years, yet none of that shows up when I sit down behind my drum kit."

Yes but in doing so, you'll have more years to be able to play drums than if you didn't take care of your health.

EarthRocker

My grandfather only lived to 67 I believe, and in his time he was a very notorious bluegrass musician. If you're familiar with Bluegrass, he's probably worked with about anyone you've heard of at one point or another. He was a full-time musician in the 50s and 60s, and even done a lot of work in the 70s. He played Mandolin mainly, but he was also a very skilled guitar player, banjo, and Fiddle (Violin)

From the time I was born in the 1990s, I watched him play at his very best, and slowly decline as arthritis started to get the best of him going into the 2000s. In about 1998 or 99' I noticed he would go places with his band and sing, but he had another gentleman play Mandolin full time. He'd get his out of the case occasionally and strummed around, but as far as playing professionally, he never touched it again until he died in 04'.

I think almost every other day how much it would suck if I was just rendered unable to play the drums. I don't consider myself a great drummer at all. I do keep time, and my Pocket has been praised, but as far as fills and such, I'm much closer to Watts than Peart. I'm an appreciator of the instrument more than anything. I love to look at drums, listen to drums, and I really just enjoy being around drums at all. But if I couldn't play them, I don't think I would ever fully recover mentally from the loss.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Hey guys. This thread caused me to do something today that I have been contemplating for a while.

I recently purchased some new cymbal stands and a hi hat stand. Heavy duty stuff for playing gigs. These six stands along with my snare stand and the legs to my floor tom weigh a ton ! I had them all in one case; at least 50 lbs. or more.

I went out today and purchased two suitcases with wheels from a thrift store. I split up the stands between the two suit cases.
Jim, look into the Yamaha single braced stuff. Nice and sturdy but still lightweight. After reading all this talk if older drummers and heavy hardwear I bought pair of Gibraltar flat based stands and my back thanks me every time.

Fun story to contribute to this thread. I was watching a band of seniors playing the other day. Dixieland jazz, really tight sound too, it was evident that they had been doing their thing fr quite some time. I was drawn to the drummer, a frail looking older genteman playing on a 70's Ludwig kit. He was great too, solid meter and didn't miss a beat even on the flashier brakes that he traded with the band. After they had finished I introduced myself and helped him pack up and load his car just for an excuse to chat with him. I can't remember his name because my memory is funny like that. He packed everything into a large dolly which I wheeled to the curb while he pulled his van up. While helping him he recalled how he used to listen to some good jazz back in his hometown before "that Rock'n'roll got popular."

We have the just about all loaded up and he insisted on lifting the dolly into the back of the van. He stopped for a moment and remarked: "I told my wife that I'd retire when I couldn't lift this anymore. Either that or when I turned 80; That was six years ago."

WhoIsTony?

I've seen Roy multiple times in the past 3 or 4 years and never saw him look weak or fall over his floor tom

he didn't look as spry as he once did obviously ....... but in no way was he tumbling over his drums not able to get up nor was there a tech there waiting to pick him up if he did

maybe Roy was feeling under the weather on the night you saw him ?

who knows

but the guy tap dancing in this video from 2012 doesn't look to me like someone who would fall over his floor tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vc6AUeLi0

nor does he look frail dancing here in 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrq0Zz2j9x0&t=13m20s

nor here soloing his ass off in 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrN5tgNxKDw

here he is killing it earlier this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTDa0J8iNRo

so what you saw was definitely under odd and special circumstances

either way ....bless Roy for his contributions and I hope to be drumming until I breathe no more

Last edited:

aydee

Platinum Member
I've seen Roy multiple times in the past 3 or 4 years and never saw him look weak or fall over his floor tom
Maybe he wasnt in that great a shape when I saw him, I dont know. This was the summer of 2011

Sorry, correction. Pulled out a pic from my comp-- July 29th 2010

36474_442645101653_5115061_n.jpg

Last edited:

aydee

Platinum Member

The other little theory that keeps playing up in my mind and Jeff, Grea, Larry and a host of others have touched upon it in this thread, is that we are actually living longer that what we are designed for, structrally..

Ok, I'll explain. I think nutrition, medicine, science have created some miracles towards enchancing our longevity, but there is a lag in our evolutionary development which cant seem to keep pace with it.In other words the body & mind are around a lot longer than they're supposed to.
Thats is perhaps why there are so many more 80 and 90 year olds than ever before dealing with so many more age related issues than ever before.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Im in my 50s, and though perhaps a little premature, I sometimes think of my own mortality and my passion for the drumset, its visceral attraction to me.
Half way through my 50's right now...

Yes, I do think about mortality, diseases, body malfunctions, pains in the back and so on... but one thing remains intact... my passions :)

Without our passions I feel our older life would degenerate very quickly as time goes by, our passions are the keys for a hopefully enjoyable older life, it provides all the kicks and motivations we need, health permitted, of course.

I wonder how long it will last.... will it diminish as the skills and the body will?
I'll drum for as long as I can... until I can't physically do it no more, but the passion will carry on that's for sure, when I cannot do it anymore I'll watch others doing it (I already watch a lot of others as we speak, haha... )

Attachments