Let's talk bronze...

drumhedd

Hey DW,

After some careful thought and aural research, I've reached the conclusion that my next major snare drum purchase should be something of the bronze-shelled variety. After listening to some Tool and Isis records, and hearing Derek Roddy's snare drum in person at a clinic, I've decided it's the sound for me.

The question is... with so many options available (mostly used due to Pearl, Mapex and Tama discontinuing their bronze snare lines recently), which do I choose? Here are the specifics of what I'm looking for:

Something preferrably 6.5 - 8 inches deep and 14 around
No more than $500 ideally, $800 absolute maximum.

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations/steer-clear advice? I hear great things about Ludwig's bronze models (both high-end and rocker) as well as the Danny Carey Sonor model.

Thanks! :)

Well both my buddy and I bought the Danny Carey snare and we both love it. I also love my 6.5 x 14 hammered bronze Black Panther. It is beautiful and sounds amazing. Bronze rules. Best sound IMO.

+1.

Yeah, I'll vouch for that drum (although it looks a little naked without the Imperials! :) )

I have no idea whether it's the bronze shell or whether it's the hammering, but I find a distinct "woody" characteristic with it. There is a warmth to that drum that I find very appealing. Can only speak for myself, but I've been completely happy with mine and I'm glad that I own it.

My, that Ludwig sounds absolutely heavenly... wow. Is that a cast shell or rolled bronze? Not that it really matters given the fact that it sounds amazing.

Pocket-full-of-gold, that's precisely what I'm after! I love the sound of wood drums, because they have such a perfect tamber when tuned right, but that extra bit of bite that you get from a bronze shell just makes it even better.

I guess at this point it's just down to a matter of who makes a quality instrument for the lowest price... does anyone have any experience with the cheaper Ludwig bronze snares, or the Pearl Sensitone? I have no problem saving longer for a top-end Luddy, I just want to make sure it's really worth it. The Carey snare sounds good, but something about that 6.5" depth is just perfect to me (which is probably why I use my 6.5x14 Rocker wood snare more often than my 5x14 Supra, strange as that sounds...)

I have the 5.5 Bronze Ludwig rocker. For the price you can't beat it. That said if you have money to throw around by all means get the 14x8 DC if that's what you want I can't think of another 8" deep bronze snare that isn't a custom piece. I like the Ludwig because It goes new for under 200 bucks (the 5.5), and it already comes with a Evans g1 batter. I changed the stock reso head and bam sounds great. I use around a 1/2 a piece of Moon-jel so no point in getting a seamless shell since I want more crack than ring. I have at least a half dozen USA made higher end snares and this one is probably my favorite of the "cheaper imports" I've got and I use it with no hesitation.

My, that Ludwig sounds absolutely heavenly... wow. Is that a cast shell or rolled bronze? Not that it really matters given the fact that it sounds amazing.

Pocket-full-of-gold, that's precisely what I'm after! I love the sound of wood drums, because they have such a perfect tamber when tuned right, but that extra bit of bite that you get from a bronze shell just makes it even better.

I guess at this point it's just down to a matter of who makes a quality instrument for the lowest price... does anyone have any experience with the cheaper Ludwig bronze snares, or the Pearl Sensitone? I have no problem saving longer for a top-end Luddy, I just want to make sure it's really worth it. The Carey snare sounds good, but something about that 6.5" depth is just perfect to me (which is probably why I use my 6.5x14 Rocker wood snare more often than my 5x14 Supra, strange as that sounds...)

The Ludwig supra is a 1 piece spun bronze shell.No seam and no welding.The first time I heard one was at a drum clinic with Joe Morello and Danny Gottlieb.Joe played the 6 1/2 and Danny the 5".Just blew me away.The 300 series Ludwig metal snare drums sound pretty good,but the are imported,and the hardware and finish is not as good as the Supra.

One moe thing..the hammering is not done by hand,and Ludwig never advertised it as such.People just assume its done by hand...just like cymbals.,which for the most part is not true also.Most modern cymbals are machine hammered.

Steve B

The Ludwig bronze Supraphonic is the best sounding metal snare I've ever played. They are pricy, but within your budget and very well worth it. It has a huge tuning range, and sounds great in every musical situation.

The Pearl bronze Sensitone is another nice drum, and the one I owned was similar to the Ludwig's sound and they're only about 1/3 the price.

Having used both seamless and seamed drums I can say that bronze is just a great metal either way.

The Ludwig supra is a 1 piece spun bronze shell.No seam and no welding.The first time I heard one was at a drum clinic with Joe Morello and Danny Gottlieb.Joe played the 6 1/2 and Danny the 5".Just blew me away.The 300 series Ludwig metal snare drums sound pretty good,but the are imported,and the hardware and finish is not as good as the Supra.

One moe thing..the hammering is not done by hand,and Ludwig never advertised it as such.People just assume its done by hand...just like cymbals.,which for the most part is not true also.Most modern cymbals are machine hammered.

Steve B
Well this baby is Hand Hammered. :) Unfortunately most of you haven't had the privilege to try one. Too busy in the Ludwig isle. :p Oh and you guys wouldn't like it because the tuning rods aren't 6 inches long and running on an angle. Plus the throw off is really nice and meaty so you might break a nail :p

1203Rack.jpg

I've got (2) bronze snares now and love them both.

I've had a Mapex Phosphor Bronze 5.5 x 13 for about 4-5 years and a newly acquired '80s Ludwig Hammered Bronze Supra 6.5 x 14 that I just acquired 2 weeks ago.

They are both exactly as described: Woody sounding but still holding metal drum qualities. Sweeter than brass but still able to cut.

For the OP's budget I'd say try to score a used Bronze Supra. I haven't plated the Rocker versions but have seen plenty of 'good value' postings about them as well as the Pearl Sensitones. I had to sell another very nice drum to financially justify getting the Supra. It was a tough sale but it went to a good home and I am VERY happy with the Ludwig.

I've used to practice and on several live gigs and the drum has sounded great consistently. I'll be doing a session with it next week (I think...you never know once you get to the studio).

You have several nice choices but the Ludwig is a very rewarding option.

Jim

I'd get a 14x8" pearl free floating, I really love the sound plus you can always replace the shell and save a lot of money

1203Rack.jpg

This is a nice drum. Solid, and sounds really good.
Mapex has better hardware/hoops on it, but this is the same shell used by TKO and Peace.
The TKO has total POS hardware (everything) on it. I got the 5x12 for my son 3 yrs ago (so it's fine for him) and this shell really sounds good.

The shell is probably made by whatever factory supplies WorldMax, which offers real nice shells.

Here is a link on how seamless snare shells are made. Plating too. Pretty cool, involved process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsb1yBtaImc&feature=related

I'd really like to check out a Ludwig Bronze 306 (6.5) Rocker, but the strainer holes are too low to put a P-86 on it.
I don't know why the strainer is low on that shell--unless all the stock pics used by everyone are old and it's not really low?

I'd up grade parts anyway. Something I like to sometimes do to really make a piece "MINE". I don't really ever sell stuff, so changing something to my liking is kind of "fun project time".
Drilling isn't really something I'd want to do though, unless I found a used one fairly cheap.
New they're around $325, & I could probably find a B stock Bronze for that, or a little more.

Here is a nice pic of my Sonor Danny Carey Signature snare.

IMG_2876.jpg

Back