Let's see your POV/ Driver's seat pics

Andy

Administrator
Staff member

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Ready to roll indeed. Loving the stick shavings on the rug ;)

Rimshots, rimshots and more rimshots, haha. Actually, when you see what my sticks end up looking like, it's a wonder you can see the rug through the wood shavings at all.

Also note the Aquarian Power-House kevlar snare head I use for rehearsal sessions ;-)

Attachments

• rimshots.jpg
    rimshots.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 3,119
Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Rimshots, rimshots and more rimshots, haha. Actually, when you see what my sticks end up looking like, it's a wonder you can see the rug through the wood shavings at all. Also notice the Aquarian Power-House kevlar snare head I use for rehearsal sessions ;-)
My sticks end up looking like that too Naige, but I suspect you get there much sooner than me ;)

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Thanks! That's remarkable especially when considering that you're used to be
surrounded by most beautiful real wood finishes, as opposed to my processed one :)!

I always thought Sonor's exotic finishes were real wood; a cross section of an interesting-looking tree. Aren't they?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I always thought Sonor's exotic finishes were real wood; a cross section of an interesting-looking tree. Aren't they?
No, they're processed materials, but I do like the look. I think those finishes are brave, & for me, if you're going away from natural wood, the more brave & distinctive, the better :)

Thanks! That's remarkable especially when considering that you're used to be
surrounded by most beautiful real wood finishes, as opposed to my processed one :)!
Not really, because I don't confuse the two approaches. They're very different, & that's cool :)

Arky

Platinum Member
I don't know for sure but looking closely, I guess they either stain the wood in a random/irregular way or first use some dark stain, then sand the shells slightly (will create more colour separation) and apply some lighter stain afterwards.

I know that luthiers are typically sanding veneer (top and/or back top), then partly sand it off to create some burst effect (leaving the edges darker). The more you sand the more the wood would lighten up again. For great contrast you'd first use dark stain, then partly sand it away leaving the hard wood areas darker. Thus you have your wood 'pre-contrasted' and can add almost any lighter stain in the end.

On my Sonor tiger finish shells the real wood graining is even and unspectacular so the wood does not correlate with the stripe structure. The Sonor guys are creating rather good simulations of stained 'real' wood IMO.

uniin

Gold Member
i love your gretsch!!

photo from last night (tryin out remo skins again... not impressed really.. should never have switched from RMV/aquarian)

lCDBw.jpg

poika

Silver Member
Nice setup, & what hats are those?

Thanks!

They're Dream Bliss 14"
A really warm, soft feel to 'em. Definitely not a sharp, cutting sound either.
When playing with the band I play mostly loud rock music so it's a bit different I guess than what most people would go for.

They have a nice 60s/70s soul vibe.

ordinaryH

my kit: 20" ride, 14" hats, 13x6.5 snare and 18x14 bass

Attachments

• IMG_1741s.jpg
    IMG_1741s.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2,488
Last edited:

mtsoul222

my baby...

Ddrum reflex 5 piece
Zildjian A custom Hi Hats