Let me know what you think

Big_Al47

I've been playing drums for a year now. Just starting playing with this guitar player last month or so, this is our 4th or 5th time jamming together. We use his iPhone for recording so you may not hear the bass drum too well.

Please give a listen and let me know what you think. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHxgnmWoV50

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're both on a similar journey, & that's a good thing. Learning to gel, both in terms of timing, & dynamics, is a long road. You're certainly doing the right thing, & that's playing with other musicians. Might be good to bring in a bass player soon, that way you can concentrate on putting down a good rhythm section vibe, & freeing up the guitarist to increase his creativity.

BTW, I could hear your bass drum, & I was fascinated by the video effect of the fan pausing = very strange.

Keep having fun, & thanks for putting this up. Very cool!

MaryO

Platinum Member
I've been playing about the same amount of time as you. I think you sound pretty good. I liked your fills, simple and without trying to get too fancy with them. Something I'm still working on, myself.

I'll leave the criticism to the more experienced drummers but I think you're coming along nicely. Keep up the good work!

Big_Al47

Thanks so much, I was really expecting to get hammered, LOL

We are looking for a bass player, one was supposed to show up this past Sunday but flaked out.

Liebe zeit

Silver Member
Thanks so much, I was really expecting to get hammered, LOL

We are looking for a bass player, one was supposed to show up this past Sunday but flaked out.
I'd work on that wandering time if it were me. Well, I have been working on it as I've only been playing for 18 months. I do a lot of slow practice and use a metronome all the time, which means I enjoy band practices more.

But definitely kudos to you, fellah! You're doing the right thing :)

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Ha! memories... a Gibson SG .... a drumkit ... two pals ...it's how it all started :)

Well Big man, honestly it's not bad at all, and you certainely get the gesture of what's needed within that SG riff, your groove could do with a bit more drive and authority with a slighly simpler bass drum, your fills are ok and you started them at the right place, I was a bit worry for the long fill, but you stroke your accent on 1, well done :)

What amazed me most, is your hihat during the intro, it was everywhere exept on time :)) but when you came in you were (almost) in time ... magical stuff that is :))

You're on the right track, keep on drumming :)

@ MaryO - I like your new avatar, lol

resohead

Silver Member
I like how you're controlled and basically doing things right but like Mad said, more authority and drive at the same time.

Be simplistic while you find the groove and always remember there's a fine line between a groove and a rut.

Big_Al47

Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback. I know I need to work on my timing, I do practice with a metronome 99.9% of the time so I believe that is helping. That jam isn't really set in stone so it's tough to get the timing down perfect.

The intro....hahaha yeah I had no idea what to do there....I'm trying to get some type of song structure down and luckily the guitar player is really cool and is open to suggestion and doesn't really mind what I play so I have free reign in that sense, but yeah I will continue to work on it.