Let’s Talk Pork Pies

KamaK

Platinum Member
I've owned 2 pork pie drums, loved 1 and hated the other:

I had the 12x5 (5.5? Don't remember) black on black maple and those damn tension rods NEVER stayed in tune. No, never stayed on the drum at all. I could crank the tension rods almost flush (not that I did, just for example) and within 30 mins of playing I'd have loose rods on the batter side and straight up rods on the floor (yup, fell out) from the reso side.
I had similar happen to my Ludwig Accent after spraying down the lugs with MolyD.... Sometimes, a lubricant is too good I guess.

mkelley

When did they change the lugs on their custom drums? A buddy of mine got new kit from them with oak and maple shells and bread and butter lugs, but the badges aren't the usual brass plate badge. His has badges that are just the Pork Pie pig and no text or anything. The kit sounds really good.
are you sure that's a USA-made custom kit, that sounds more like the import kits.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

are you sure that's a USA-made custom kit, that sounds more like the import kits.
My buddy got it from Bill directly, and he's currently making an 18" tom for it. I don't think the imports have oak and maple shells, do they? My buddy knows Bill, and has already go a couple really nice snares (steam bent and a maple & bell brass shell) from him.
The badges are also shaped like the pig logo.

Last edited:

Mustion

Happy changing heads worked, unfortunately it didn't for me. I honestly think the powder coated tension rods were the culprit. I've read a few comments about powder coated tension rods loosening over the years and have noticed many companies who offer matching colored powder coated (and satin) rims and lugs have been going back to chrome tension rods.
Oh, yeah--I don't doubt that the powder coating would be the culprit! It certainly makes more sense than the heads being the issue. Thinking about it, I might still have been having that problem even after initially changing the heads, but it's been several years so I'm not sure. I did use that snare outdoors often, so perhaps the powder coated hardware got roughed up a bit from the elements and was "sticking" better?

At any rate, nice enough snare and it saw me through some successes but it also let me down once or twice. Nowadays I only ever use it when I need something compact.

markdrum

Silver Member
I bought one of the Hip Gig 3 piece sets, had to have that 22x14" bass drum, and got a hankering for a 14" floor tom. I got in touch with Barry over at SoundPure and he hooked me up. I got an email from Bill Detamore himself. Talk about service! These guys male great drums and Barry is great to deal with!

NackAttack

Happy changing heads worked, unfortunately it didn't for me. I honestly think the powder coated tension rods were the culprit. I've read a few comments about powder coated tension rods loosening over the years and have noticed many companies who offer matching colored powder coated (and satin) rims and lugs have been going back to chrome tension rods.
I've had the 12x5 little squealer since around 2006 and used it (and probably abused it) as a main snare more often than not. I am not a gentle player either. Also, the genre I played for most of that time has been death metal. I guess I should count myself lucky that I've never had any issues with the tension rods. Like at all... I have seen more than a few people complain about this same issue though. Probably all the beer, sweat, and blood got mine nice and sticky :LOL:. I have actually been eyeballing a brass patina 6.5x14.