Lefty drummers unite! Also, who are best lefty drummers?

Carter Beauford was one of the few drummers to catch my attention back in the early 1990s. Also, the late John Blackwell was fantastic.
Beauford is right handed, he started out leading with his left basically by not knowing better. He tells that story on his DVD.
Lots of pics where he signs stuff, always with his right.

Attachments

• DAVE MATTHEWS BAND 8.JPG
    DAVE MATTHEWS BAND 8.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 3
First band practice today with my new lefty rig! Bought a (used) 3-pc yellow Mapex Mars kit with black hardware and paired it with a Mapex Armory Tomahawk snare. I'm in love with the look of this kit and it sounded so so good! A little slice of heaven for me today :)

Attachments

• 20201220_164046_small.jpg
    20201220_164046_small.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201220_164058_small.jpg
    20201220_164058_small.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201220_164118_small.jpg
    20201220_164118_small.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 9
  • New_Rig_Cropped_small.jpg
    New_Rig_Cropped_small.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
This thread and your comment has me thinking one of us should open up a music store that sells ONLY left handed instruments. :ROFLMAO:

...call it Leftorium Music...

View attachment 99180

...;)
If you open it and decide to carry a left-handed single tom mount for a Mapex bass drum, I'll pay top dollar! I have to rig mine upside down to make it work - it's functional but it looks awkward as hell. Don't even get me started on double bass-drum pedals LOL

I'm left handed and right footed - Its quite annoying for setting up drums, and having to move the drums/cymbals every time i sit down at a new kit. I also play guitar, but don't even get me started about that!

I am a lefty too and play open handed.

No one mentioned my fav Don Henley?!
He is a great singer during playing the drums (y)
And a fantastic song writer!

My current set up
7624F4D5-A8AA-429C-B25F-C0154A595FD1.jpeg
How many Eddies do you see? :cool:

Last edited:
Dennis Wilson...bad drummer but a lefty.
He played what the music called for.
Maybe not the most "technical" drummer in history, but "bad"? I wouldn't say that.
He played well enough to help propel one of the greatest rock bands in history.
That's something.
The sad part is we'll never know how technically proficient he really was.

Elvis

Daniel Glass is an excellent drummer and historian, but I deny all allegations and claim no association with said Leftists. Or was that Lefties? :unsure:

He played what the music called for.
Maybe not the most "technical" drummer in history, but "bad"? I wouldn't say that.
He played well enough to help propel one of the greatest rock bands in history.
That's something.
The sad part is we'll never know how technically proficient he really was.

Elvis
Bad was probably harsh. Let's say not great. I did read that when the Beach Boys recorded Dennis didn't play drums. I saw him live twice and he was a good live drummer.

Back