Lefty drummers unite! Also, who are best lefty drummers?

My profile pic reveals my membership in the exclusive club of lefty drummers. Shout out to my brethren!

If you are a lefty drummer, was there a lefty player you found kinship with in your formative years? For me, no doubt it was Ian Paice. Some are going to Phil Collins. I know, I get it. But I'll take Ian Paice every day that ends in 'y'.

Ringo is my favorite. I am very left handed and very right footed, so I play open handed, not full lefty. Peace and goodwill.

Do you play a left a left handed kit? Sounds like it would work for you being left footed.
No, I play a right handed kit but was taught to play both ways. I once played a headliner’s left handed kit which was already set up on the drum riser rather than set my drums up at the front of the stage! ? (y)

No, I play a right handed kit but was taught to play both ways. I once played a headliner’s left handed kit which was already set up on the drum riser rather than set my drums up at the front of the stage! ? (y)

That's cool! I did that once at a jam session where the drummer was left handed and played a left handed kit. I have enough independence and strength to play left footed bass drum so I played the kit in a lefty configuration.

It wasn't bad but doing fills was weird, I was lucky nobody wanted to play "The Immigrant Song" by Zepplin, I would have had to switch the kit around.

Ginger Fish from Zombie and former Manson drummer.

One of my favorites nonetheless from listening to Manson in my youth.

The best left handed drummer is the one who doesn’t make it to the gig and therefore doesn’t mess with the kit that has been properly set-up for decent, honest right handed drummers. Lefties are bringers of chaos, the only thing that stays untouched is the throne. Actually being serious for a moment I really improved my playing by setting up my kit left handed for a while. Don’t think I would dare to play live like this though.

Back