Left side ride ONLY setup

audioragegarden

Went to see Anthrax and Motörhead last night in Philly, and the opening act was an up and coming Pennsylvania band called Crobot. Their drummer, a guy by the name of Paul Figueroa, had a setup I had never seen before. He had a right-handed 1 up, 2 down with the floors on either side, and more interestingly a ride cymbal sort of over the hi-hat, and only a crash cymbal on the right. I've seen drummers who have a left side ride and right side ride (in the very same show in fact with Charlie Benante of Anthrax), but I had never seen a solo left side ride before.

Figueroa played a lot of fast patterns on this ride with his left hand, which was cool because it seemed to give him a lot more freedom to bash stuff across the kit with the right, and play some cool patterns between the ride and hats. I'm curious how common is a setup like this, and has anyone seen it before?

EDIT: Found a picture of the setup:

dzarren

simon phillips does this

I assume the drummer primarily played "open handed" with his left hand on his hats. If this is how he plays primarily, it would be strange to have a ride on the right side.

so he probably just plays on a right handed kit always leading with his left hand. so it makes sense to have a ride on the left side, the same side you have your hats!

also i cant see the picture.

audioragegarden

simon phillips does this

I assume the drummer primarily played "open handed" with his left hand on his hats. If this is how he plays primarily, it would be strange to have a ride on the right side.

so he probably just plays on a right handed kit always leading with his left hand. so it makes sense to have a ride on the left side, the same side you have your hats!

also i cant see the picture.
That's weird, it's showing up for me. Here's a direct link to the picture I used: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/musician-paul-figueroa-of-crobot-performs-at-day-2-of-news-photo/474538958

Anyway, from rewatching some of the other night's performance on YouTube I definitely notice him leading with his left hand more than with his right. It was kind of hard to tell what exactly he was doing from my original viewing angle when I was at the show. I'm gonna try and find a way to get in contact with him through email or social media and ask what led him to choose that particular playing style and setup, since the style of music Crobot plays seems like it could be played with a standard setup just as well.