Left foot keeps hitting HH using swivel technique on DB

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I've switched over to swivel technique for the double bass. I have my slave pedal right next to the HH pedal, about an inch between them.

On occassion, my left foot will hit the HH pedal during the swivel move. I haven't recorded anything lately, but you can hear the HH cymbals each time I touch the HH pedal with my L foot.
I've slightly repositioned the HH stand and slave to allow for more movement, but they are right where I need to have them.

I'm also working on my technique so the L heel swivels higher and avoids the HH during the swivel. They're Trick Dominator longboards, so I've tried going lower on the footboard also. I also know if I hit the HH release clutch it will drop the top hat, but I just don't remember all the time before going over to DB.

Anyone using DB swivel have this issue?

Toolate

Platinum Member
So, your DP pedal is between your hi hat pedal and snare, as usual? I have my DB pedal outboard of my hi hat Pedal and it is much more comfortable for me to play. I don't swivel my left foot though so might not solve your problem.

BigDinSD

Gold Member
So, your DP pedal is between your hi hat pedal and snare, as usual? I have my DB pedal outboard of my hi hat Pedal and it is much more comfortable for me to play. I don't swivel my left foot though so might not solve your problem.
I'm trying to keep all the gear where it's at and somehow solve it with technique.

So how do you avoid hitting or stepping on the axle attached to the slave pedal? Where are your HH cymbals?

You're going to tell me you have 2 bass drums, right? :)

Toolate

Platinum Member
No- just one and I am R handed.

Just remove your slave pedal, set your hats a little closer to the snare (usually nicer this way anyway) and set your slave outboard of the hi hat pedal and connect the shaft (you will likely need a 2 leg hi hat stand for this). If you line up the heel plates on the pedals the shaft just ends up crossing over the top of the hat pedal and being out of the way.

Try it. I tried to post a pic- see if it works.

Attachments

BigDinSD

Gold Member
No- just one and I am R handed.

Just remove your slave pedal, set your hats a little closer to the snare (usually nicer this way anyway) and set your slave outboard of the hi hat pedal and connect the shaft (you will likely need a 2 leg hi hat stand for this). If you line up the heel plates on the pedals the shaft just ends up crossing over the top of the hat pedal and being out of the way.

Try it. I tried to post a pic- see if it works.
Man - for a minute I was ecstatic there! Then I figured I would just hit the HH pedal while swinging the L foot to the Right!

It might just be a necessary evil only solved through technique if using DB swivel.

I would have thought others use this technique for DB. They probably have better technique I imagine.

Toolate

Platinum Member
Not really a conscious swiveller with either foot but thought I would offer the idea. Your foot swivels both ways? Foot swivel (videos) I have seen are usually for people swiveling one way.

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Not really a conscious swiveller with either foot but thought I would offer the idea. Your foot swivels both ways? Foot swivel (videos) I have seen are usually for people swiveling one way.
Nah bro - it's a good idea. And thanks for putting up the pic!
Since I've only been on the technique for a few weeks, I do believe I am doing more of a wider-range swivel. That's so I can retain the muscle memory. When I don't focus on the movement, the range decreases. But it is a full swivel from left to right, the ball of the foot pushes down the pedal at each swivel.

Yeah, I think the pros have a more precise movement and better technique. Though yesterday, I'm already seeing an improvement and am touching the HH pedal less.