Learning heel toe

mrjones

I'm three weeks in on learning heel toe and I'm getting better .thing is my legs get cramps now when I'm sleeping it will wake me up .I guess it's something your body has to get used to

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Might try some stretches before and after practice. Calf raises are good for stretching both the shin and calf. That might help some.

If it's your thighs, might try stretching them out too. If it's hip area stuff, that could be a seat issue.

RickP

Gold Member
Get JoJo Mayer’s foot technique DVD - it discusses so many pertinent topics and talks about seat height and leg positioning .

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Stretch man. I stretch before every jam/gig.

Also avoid 4 hour practice sessions, break it up in to a few shorter ones if you are going to hard. It shouldn't hurt. Work on your ergonomics, don't be reaching, pushing too hard. It's all about being relaxed. That is why you are doing heel toe instead of singles. Perhaps your pedals are cranked way too tight.

mrjones

I don't think there to tight .my spring adjusters are about dead center the vld is in the middle and my beaters are 5 "" from the drum head they are axis pedals btw. I tried heel toe with the vld forward like everyone recommends but had a hard time keeping the doubles going.thanks

newoldie

Silver Member
Get JoJo Mayer’s foot technique DVD - it discusses so many pertinent topics and talks about seat height and leg positioning .
Ditto on Jojo's dvd.

It's been valuable in my case for working on heel up, since I was taught heel down and continue to use that as a primary technique for all styles (no Metal or double bass). I've not had cramps using heel down, but I don't have to stomp the beater for the music I play. If volume's really needed I'm able to use heel up in limited phrases.

Heel up felt extremely unnatural at first and was puzzling--its developing slowly (in part thanks to the DVD), along with endless practice. The goal is to be able to use both as needed.

I would assume the reverse if I had learned heel up from the start.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I don't think there to tight .my spring adjusters are about dead center the vld is in the middle and my beaters are 5 "" from the drum head they are axis pedals btw. I tried heel toe with the vld forward like everyone recommends but had a hard time keeping the doubles going.thanks
Try moving your VDL all the way to the top, Tighten the batter head a bit too.