Learning drums

the drummer girl

Hey guys i wanted some suggestions on which bands should be followed in order to listen to good drums and learn or if anyone can help with what all should be done to get better.I just know very little about drums and can play a bit.

thanks
Drummer girl

jeffwj

Platinum Member
I would suggest finding the best drum teacher in your area and signing up for lessons. A credible drum teacher will guide you through the basics and introduce you to styles, not just bands. I try to introduce my students to styles such as rock (contemporary, oldies, Motown, Latin rock), jazz, Latin (all styles), Brazilian (all styles), Reggae, show 2 Beat, and many more.

In the meantime, you can check out On the Beaten Path by Rich Lackowski. It features contemporary styles and references both bands and recordings.

Thanks,

Jeff

KamaK

Platinum Member
Welcome to the forum.

Listen to anything that motivates you to play. Are there any artists that you listen to currently where you feel a sympathetic connection to the drumming?

Peace and love.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Welcome! Jeff nails it for you right there. Invest some $$ in a teacher. It's actually the cheapest and quickest way too to get flying. And you'll invest a lot of time too. I say budget at least a couple of hours daily too. Many of us have devoted hours to drilling on snare drum exercises, which is easy to do when you're a kid. As an adult with responsibilities, you'll have to plan for it, but it's not impossible. If there's desire, you'll make it happen. Good luck on your quest!

alparrott

Platinum Member
What music do you enjoy most? I was motivated to pick up the instruments I play mostly by listening to my favorite music. That is a good starting point for most beginning musicians. Jeff is spot on, a good teacher will help you pick an achievable tune from among your favorites and show you how to play it; from there hopefully you'll be psyched to study and get into the instrument more.

Later, you can branch out to start listening to music for the sake of learning your instrument. As a beginner I would not try to pick up music just to learn to play it if it's not music you don't typically listen to; it won't necessarily keep your interest.

the drummer girl

What music do you enjoy most? I was motivated to pick up the instruments I play mostly by listening to my favorite music. That is a good starting point for most beginning musicians. Jeff is spot on, a good teacher will help you pick an achievable tune from among your favorites and show you how to play it; from there hopefully you'll be psyched to study and get into the instrument more.

Later, you can branch out to start listening to music for the sake of learning your instrument. As a beginner I would not try to pick up music just to learn to play it if it's not music you don't typically listen to; it won't necessarily keep your interest.
I like rock and pop music the most

the drummer girl

I would suggest finding the best drum teacher in your area and signing up for lessons. A credible drum teacher will guide you through the basics and introduce you to styles, not just bands. I try to introduce my students to styles such as rock (contemporary, oldies, Motown, Latin rock), jazz, Latin (all styles), Brazilian (all styles), Reggae, show 2 Beat, and many more.

In the meantime, you can check out On the Beaten Path by Rich Lackowski. It features contemporary styles and references both bands and recordings.

Thanks,

Jeff
Thanks a lot jeff,as from india i did take some lessons back there but i do feel the need to learn more about it and also learn about different styles.Thanks a lot for the link i will check it out.

the drummer girl

Welcome! Jeff nails it for you right there. Invest some $$ in a teacher. It's actually the cheapest and quickest way too to get flying. And you'll invest a lot of time too. I say budget at least a couple of hours daily too. Many of us have devoted hours to drilling on snare drum exercises, which is easy to do when you're a kid. As an adult with responsibilities, you'll have to plan for it, but it's not impossible. If there's desire, you'll make it happen. Good luck on your quest!
Hey thanks a lot.Yes one thing i do know is that u need a lot and lot of practice.I have practice pad with me and have got the book "Stick Control" by George Lawrence Stone.Is that a good book for exercising?I want to work on speed.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Hey thanks a lot.Yes one thing i do know is that u need a lot and lot of practice.I have practice pad with me and have got the book "Stick Control" by George Lawrence Stone.Is that a good book for exercising?I want to work on speed.
Good stuff. Start with control. Control begets speed.

I also recommend (like most others) using a real-life teacher periodically to fix issues before they manifest, and to give you direction. Even if it's only once every couple months.

If you're just beginning, here's a fairly straightforward link to get you started while you look for a teacher.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/wessels_beginner-lessons.php

the drummer girl

Good stuff. Start with control. Control begets speed.

I also recommend (like most others) using a real-life teacher periodically to fix issues before they manifest, and to give you direction. Even if it's only once every couple months.

If you're just beginning, here's a fairly straightforward link to get you started while you look for a teacher.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/wessels_beginner-lessons.php
Alright!
Only think i thought was that it would be bit expensive if i use a real-life teacher so i was trying to avoid it as will nt be able to afford it.
Thanks a lot for the link.
Is there any website where in i can look for a good teacher in my area?

Magenta

Platinum Member
Hello, and welcome to Drummerworld! I hope you really enjoy playing drums :)

A real teacher is definitely the best place to start. It does cost money, but your teacher will give you homework so if you can only afford one lesson a month, you will be able to do lots of practice in the meantime, which means that you will be ready to learn more in your next lesson.

When it comes to speed, you'll find that you can only play fast if you don't have to think about what you're doing. Go back and read aloud the first two sentences I wrote. You said them quickly, didn't you? That's because you didn't have to think. Now say them again, but this time leave out every letter L. Much slower, I bet! But if you spent time doing it slowly, you'd get so used to it that you'd be able to say it as fast as you would with the letter L. It's the same with drumming. You HAVE to play slowly at first - sometimes very slowly - so that your hands and feet learn what to do, and if you've practised enough they will be able to play by themselves without you having to think about it. Don't worry if it takes longer than you want: it always does, for everybody!

the drummer girl

Hello, and welcome to Drummerworld! I hope you really enjoy playing drums :)

A real teacher is definitely the best place to start. It does cost money, but your teacher will give you homework so if you can only afford one lesson a month, you will be able to do lots of practice in the meantime, which means that you will be ready to learn more in your next lesson.

When it comes to speed, you'll find that you can only play fast if you don't have to think about what you're doing. Go back and read aloud the first two sentences I wrote. You said them quickly, didn't you? That's because you didn't have to think. Now say them again, but this time leave out every letter L. Much slower, I bet! But if you spent time doing it slowly, you'd get so used to it that you'd be able to say it as fast as you would with the letter L. It's the same with drumming. You HAVE to play slowly at first - sometimes very slowly - so that your hands and feet learn what to do, and if you've practised enough they will be able to play by themselves without you having to think about it. Don't worry if it takes longer than you want: it always does, for everybody!
Thanks Magneta,yes that did make sense to me.I will surely try to practice slowly at first and then gradually I will be able to catch speed.Again thanks a lot for that explanation it did really help.As all are being saying that a teacher will be a of a great help to guide me so will look for one.Also it would be great if you can suggest me with any links online which would help me to find good teachers in my area.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Sorry, I forgot to reply to the bit about finding a teacher.

I presume you've googled "Drum teachers in xxxx"? You could also look for local groups for musicians on Facebook, and if there is a music shop near you, ask there. In fact that's what I'd do first. If all else fails, look in the "Find a teacher" section in the General Discussion forum on here, because there are quite a few who do Skype lessons. Hope this helps :)

KamaK

Platinum Member
Alright!
Only think i thought was that it would be bit expensive if i use a real-life teacher so i was trying to avoid it as will nt be able to afford it.
Teachers can be expensive indeed. What worked for me was to find a teacher that was willing to work with my self-study routine. I book a private lesson once every two months, and use self study in-between.

The teacher:
Reviews/evaluates my playing on the last lessons goals.
Fixes broken/bad habits I've developed.
Answers questions that I write down during the two month.
Introduces some new facet of drumming I should work on.
Sets goals for the next two months.

Looking at my slips, I spent $700 on seven 2-hour at-home private lessons last year.

the drummer girl

Sorry, I forgot to reply to the bit about finding a teacher.

I presume you've googled "Drum teachers in xxxx"? You could also look for local groups for musicians on Facebook, and if there is a music shop near you, ask there. In fact that's what I'd do first. If all else fails, look in the "Find a teacher" section in the General Discussion forum on here, because there are quite a few who do Skype lessons. Hope this helps :)
oh no thats fine
infact thanks a lot for all your help
yup i would do that and try and search for some good teachers
again thank you so much :)

the drummer girl

Teachers can be expensive indeed. What worked for me was to find a teacher that was willing to work with my self-study routine. I book a private lesson once every two months, and use self study in-between.

The teacher:
Reviews/evaluates my playing on the last lessons goals.
Fixes broken/bad habits I've developed.
Answers questions that I write down during the two month.
Introduces some new facet of drumming I should work on.
Sets goals for the next two months.

Looking at my slips, I spent $700 on seven 2-hour at-home private lessons last year.
oh ok
ya it is expensive
but the entire learning process sounds good to me and more importantly u learn staying at home.
i stay in Memphis,IL so can u suggest me with few good teachers but at the same time nt very expensive who would teach .

KamaK

Platinum Member
oh ok
ya it is expensive
but the entire learning process sounds good to me and more importantly u learn staying at home.
i stay in Memphis,IL so can u suggest me with few good teachers but at the same time nt very expensive who would teach .
While I cannot recommend specific teachers in your area, know that 'most' teachers will charge between $35 and $50 per hour. I was able to get in-home lessons because:

I pay cash
I book 2-hours per shot
The teacher lives and works close by.
I provide a good academic environment (whiteboard, copy machine, chairs, peace and quiet, clean).

the drummer girl

While I cannot recommend specific teachers in your area, know that 'most' teachers will charge between $35 and $50 per hour. I was able to get in-home lessons because:

I pay cash
I book 2-hours per shot
The teacher lives and works close by.
I provide a good academic environment (whiteboard, copy machine, chairs, peace and quiet, clean).
Ok
No worries
But whatever information you gave me will help me and thanks a lot for the same.Will soon find a teacher.

Skate

Welcome! Just one small thing, be sure to practice regularly so you don't get in the habit of being lazy like me!