Learned something interesting...

SpareRib

I record all of our band practices on a Tascam DR40.. This last practice I detuned my batter heads down a quarter turn. I never changed the resonant head tension. They were tuned sort of high because I thought that would project more but I'll be damned if they don't sound so much louder and fuller on the recordings.

I just found this interesting and wanted to share. Below is the gear rundown.

I play a Tama SilverStar 10x8, 12x9, 16x14, 22x18, and a Ludwig rocker Brass 14x6.5 snare. I use I use Ebony Suede Emperors over clear Ambassadors on toms, Powerstroke 3 on bass drum with a Tama reso head with 4" port hole, and Reverse CS power dot on snare over Ambassador.

We play loud fuzzy garage rock. The guitarist uses a 4x10 Coupe Deville or a 4x12 Marshall cab with a JCM 900 head, and Fuzz War, EH Soul Food, home made silicon germanium and overdrive pedals.

Ruok

Silver Member
Hi SpareRib!

I'm curious as to how your kit was miked for the Tascam? Do you think you would tune this way for a live gig?

I know there are a lot of threads on keeping the top heads tighter than you might think when playing live, which is how I've been doing it for years. But lately I have been going in the other direction and loosening them so that both heads vibrate more easily and I'm liking the results.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Yeah it's amazing what a little tweaking can do sometimes!! One of the great things about the instrument we play is the limitless possibilities for tuning and sound.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Yeah it's amazing what a little tweaking can do sometimes!! One of the great things about the instrument we play is the limitless possibilities for tuning and sound.
Yes I agree!

But one of the bad things about the instrument we play is the limitless possibilities for tuning and sound.

Finding the sound we like and keeping it, sometimes is a pain in the..........

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Yes I agree!

But one of the bad things about the instrument we play is the limitless possibilities for tuning and sound.

Finding the sound we like and keeping it, sometimes is a pain in the..........

And that right there is a true story!

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Recordings are the only way I know of to hear what I sound like. I hear noises and mistakes on the recording that I don't hear while playing.