Lead singers who like to use our bass drums as a leg rest...

Bass drum is to leg rest as singer's face is to punching bag.

Fortunately, the worst I've had happen is for the singer to hang her purse off a cymbal boom. Didn't hurt anything, but I didn't care for the look. Her purse didn't match the finish of my drums.

Lead singers who have done this have mysteriously found feces in their guitar case, car, or inside their shoes.

It almost happened to me once. It was during practice. The rhythm guitarist raised his leg up to put it on my bass. I gave him a death stare. It never happened again. :)

Our singer's currently going through a divorce, so I know he couldn't afford the repair invoice, or the medical charges for removing a splash cymbal from his jugular!

For some strange reason, this has got me thinking about death by wind chimes ;) ;) ;)

...................yeah, but it would be such a beautiful sounding death

Happened to me once.....

wound up breaking both of the singers legs.......

Infection set in, long story short he had both legs amputated....

Took me to court and things got messy........

Until the judge through the case out stating the singer didn't have a leg to stand on......... Terry

I'm a rather non-confrontational guy, and I drum for a pretty heavy metal band. My singer does this, and I've run into issues with him running over my microphone, or hitting a cymbal stand.

I've talked about the mic and stand issue, which he was apologetic for, but he added that the bass drum stance is part of his 'thing'. Because I've taken the Swingstar to these gigs, I didn't mind. But now that I have a few different kits, and I'd like to showcase the newer Star Classic, I'm a little hesitant. Might just bring the Rockstar out. But still, that accu-tune hoop may not like the abuse.

I've got a broked accu-tune hoop (which I knowingly purchased used on another base drum). I should put that one on the bass, and blame him for it. lol!

For me, it depends on a few factors.

#1: Being the build quality of my kit. Being as my current kit isn't the greatest quality, I wouldn't be surprised if it crumpled under the extra weight. However, if I have a better quality kit, they by all means, do what you want. I'm about what's best for the song and the stage presence. If he can do it right, I'm completely cool with it. I can stand a little bit of scuffing on my kick drum.

#2: How well it is pulled off. If he just doesn't have it, he doesn't have it, and is going to look like a total douche doing it. If he has it, though, I'd let him do it, of course, as aforementioned, given that I have a better quality drum. I'm all about guitarists jumping off of the kick drum if they can do it right.

#3: What type of music it is. If it's a fast paced, energetic band, I would encourage it. If it were much of anything else, that's a no-no for me.

Last edited:
Funny this thread came up, why just last Tuesday, I modded my kick so when anyone depresses the valve on top of the hoop, a pressurized can of club soda wets their pants for them. I was thinking of doing a big boxing glove coming out of the kick, but I went with the water feature.

:)

What a bunch of macho little boy talk!

Depends on your situation now doesn't it really??

What if you got a (real high level) gig, you're the 'new guy' and Robert Plant puts his foot on your CRAVIOTTO bass drum and starts clapping his hands???

What if Madonna jumps on your wittle bass drum??? Principle is still the same, someone's walking on your stuff, but your attitude would change.

Not so much macho talk then, you'd turn into a wimp depending on who it was, that's what it really is, its not the act, its the person doing it.

What if you got a (real high level) gig, you're the 'new guy' and Robert Plant puts his foot on your CRAVIOTTO bass drum and starts clapping his hands???

What if Madonna jumps on your wittle bass drum??? Principle is still the same, someone's walking on your stuff, but your attitude would change.

Not so much macho talk then, you'd turn into a wimp depending on who it was, that's what it really is, its not the act, its the person doing it.

Hog wash. Robert Plant would get the same stink-eye as anyone else. And anyway, him putting one leg of his walker on my bass drum isn't the same as a singer standing on it.

I was joking about using his/her face for a punching bag. I'm pretty non-violent. However, the only situation in which I WOULDN'T tell them to knock it off would be if they paid for the drum. And that is in all seriousness, no matter who it was.

Of course, if I was in a position to play with Madonna or Robert Plant, I probably wouldn't be dirt poor and overly protective of my investment... lol

Actions like climing on your set and hitting cymbals with guitar necks define a musician not worth working with.

..attributable to low experience or willful boundary pushing...either way...throw 'em back into the pond and find another.

Always wise to address such stupidity when first discussing involvement....along with other considerations like $ and writing credits.

I spent enough $ on my musical equipmant to warrent precautions....including not lending them out in cattle call like "shared equipment" situations.

In your example it still doesn't matter who is doing it, the big difference is between playing for cover charges at the door and splitting $100 five ways or making enough money to buy 100 new bass drums......... Terry

In your example it still doesn't matter who is doing it, the big difference is between playing for cover charges at the door and splitting $100 five ways or making enough money to buy 100 new bass drums......... Terry

Its one instance.

What if Madonna is playing the arena down the street and pops into the club after the show and sits in to play material girl, steps on your bass drum, then after the song she tells you with a smile "Nice groove drummer boy".

What are going to do really, tell her off?

Its one instance.

What if Madonna is playing the arena down the street and pops into the club after the show and sits in to play material girl, steps on your bass drum, then after the song she tells you with a smile "Nice groove drummer boy".

What are going to do really, tell her off?

Is she isn't paying me, absolutely I am asking her not too.

Is she isn't paying me, absolutely I am asking her not too.

Easy to say behind your computer. 'If' it ever happened, in the heat of the moment crowd screaming, the band beaming and star struck, you asking someone of Madonna's status not to put her foot on your bass drum again would be one of the most regrettable moments of your life.

You couldn't/wouldn't even try to pull that off with star vibe like that onstage, 'everyone' in the house would see you as an idiot.

Somebody does that and they're gonna have some bruised shins.

Easy to say behind your computer. 'If' it ever happened, in the heat of the moment crowd screaming, the band beaming and star struck, you asking someone of Madonna's status not to put her foot on your bass drum again would be one of the most regrettable moments of your life.

You couldn't/wouldn't even try to pull that off with star vibe like that onstage, 'everyone' in the house would see you as an idiot.

I wouldn't say it on stage, that would be silly. There simply isn't time to mention it. The best option then is to try to give a look. In between a set if I had the chance to is when I would do talking if need be.

And you are making those people sound like total D bags. I would hope they kept their common human morals of listening to other people and being kind.

it also depends on shoes and other things. I am okay with touching with hands. I guess if she set he foot down and didn't put her weight on the drum I would be fine.

Why bust peoples' chops for a scenario that is very unlikely to happen, and is probably beyond the scope of the OP's intention, anyway. Silliness, I say! lol

Back