Lead singer = band boss?

Toclemen

Should a cover band pay the singer more $ and let him completely control the band Because he’s the hardest to replace and very popular with the fans? This particular singer has LSD like I’ve never seen before. He doesn’t supply a sound system or anything, it’s all based on the fact he would be very hard to replace if at all and keep the same band success. I know everyone’s replaceable but it’s more complicated than that in this case.
Clearly he has the band by the shorthairs and is taking full advantage of it. But isn’t there an ethical side of this? It’s a cover band after all. It’s not like he’s a solo artist. The band was the brain child of another band member. We were all apart of it from the start. We all do our part in this band including booking shows and with the exception of the singer, we share other responsibilities like show advance, website, Facebook updates and general promotion even accounting. The other band members don’t want to make waves in the fear he will leave the band so he gets what he wants. Unfortunately I did make waves. I decided to leave the band because of all this, it doesn’t feel like a band, more like a dictatorship, I have zero say and get no respect. But it still bothers me... Maybe I’m wrong, maybe he deserves more money and all the control because in reality he is the most important band member for what we do. Not many people come to our shows to see me drum that’s for sure. It just bugs the hell out of me that I can’t except it like the other band members. Is it me? I wouldn’t mind giving him a bigger piece of the pie if I considered him a leader but he isn’t. But he is the eye and air candy for the fans.
I guess I wanted to see how some fellow drummers would perceive all this.

A band still exists without a singer. A singer can't exist without a band. People aren't there just to see him. If they were, he wouldn't need you. If the other members have any sense, they will follow your lead and leave also. Unless this guy is Robert Plant (or some other famous singer), he is nobody.

So, your singer wants all of the benefits of being in the band, but none of the responsibilities? For me, it would be a no-brainer, tell him to find a new band.

Don't buy into the notion that he is irreplaceable. Some great bands have lost great singers and have continued on with new singers with as much, if not more, success. On the other hand, some great bands have lost great drummers, and were unable to continue on with them. Don't underestimate the importance of your, and your other bandmates's, place in the band.

A simger for a cover band getting more money than the rest of the band?!?!

Nah you've 100% done the right thing by leaving if the others in the band aren't standing up to this. Sounds like way too much egotistical nonsense to be even worth your while.

Not worth one more minute of hassle, sometimes it's better to just walk away and leave other people to make their own mistakes without you.

I probably would have quit, too. It depends on the available alternative prospects though. I feel like I can find another band without too much trouble.

You did the right thing. Who the hell does he think he is!

Having an ego that big in your band never ends well.

If you're a cover band it's an equal split. Most singers don't own a microphone so if one came to me demanding more money than me I'd happily show him the door and boot him through it!

We're all replaceable, trick is being easy to work with so you're less likely to be replaced!

Good stuff. I’m feeling better about my decision. I just have some show obligations to do before my replacement is ready, then good bye to the most egotistical person I ever met, singer or otherwise.
Thanks everyone!

Finishing the show obligations. Yes. Good for you.
Don't be a jerk. Be friendly with everyone in the band. You never know which one of them may be your band mate someday in the future.
And one of them may even recommend you to someone else.
As Bermuda says regarding making a career of playing the drums, "It's not about who you know, it's about who knows you."

I understand your frustration, but there is another way to look at this. If this guy is the crowd magnet that you say he is, and it's his presence that is keeping the band employed, I'd say pamper him.

Simple truth: the lead singer is the one element that can (and literally does) make or break a cover band, regardless of how great the instrument guys are. That's just the way it is. Be honest: how many cover bands have you seen whose stage presence (and audience devotion) is negatively affected by a mediocre singer? I'd say, the majority.

We all love to play. But audiences love to listen and be entertained. A great vocalist is just as important (maybe more so!) as a great guitarist, keyboardist, or bass player. Yet, most of us leave this most important element of a band to pure chance. We ask the bass player or guitar player, "Man, you play great. Can you sing, too?" If so, the thought is generally, "Great. We've got a band now."

It's an unfortunate truth that a great singer who wows a crowd with his infectious personality is almost always a prima donna. These folks adore adoration and special attention. They feed on it. And, outside of simple craziness and rude, dominant behavior, I'd say they are probably worth the extra effort.

It's sad that it so often has to be that way, but if that singer truly is the draw that keeps this band steadily employed, just consider the extra expense a business investment. Or, as a few others pointed out, tell him to walk. Go ahead. Then try to find somebody to replace him who is just as good at drawing and keeping the audience that you now enjoy. For me, the choice would be easy.

GeeDeeEmm

Make yourself happy. If playing with a singer that demands more money... just because... is making you feel like you don't want to be apart of it, then don't be apart of it. Sometimes other members are just too much, and suck the life/fun out of playing, which makes it not worth it. You did what was right for you. Good for you! Start another band, now you can be band boss.

Well the singer is no Frankie Valli. I'm tolerate of egomaniacs-it's there delusion not yours. I'd just use that to your advantage-just like he is using all of you.

I think you did the right thing by leaving the band.

A band is like a car. What part of a car is most important? The brakes? The starter? The wheels? You need all of them working together to go someplace.

I understand your frustration, but there is another way to look at this. If this guy is the crowd magnet that you say he is, and it's his presence that is keeping the band employed, I'd say pamper him.

Simple truth: the lead singer is the one element that can (and literally does) make or break a cover band, regardless of how great the instrument guys are. That's just the way it is. Be honest: how many cover bands have you seen whose stage presence (and audience devotion) is negatively affected by a mediocre singer? I'd say, the majority.

We all love to play. But audiences love to listen and be entertained. A great vocalist is just as important (maybe more so!) as a great guitarist, keyboardist, or bass player. Yet, most of us leave this most important element of a band to pure chance. We ask the bass player or guitar player, "Man, you play great. Can you sing, too?" If so, the thought is generally, "Great. We've got a band now."

It's an unfortunate truth that a great singer who wows a crowd with his infectious personality is almost always a prima donna. These folks adore adoration and special attention. They feed on it. And, outside of simple craziness and rude, dominant behavior, I'd say they are probably worth the extra effort.

It's sad that it so often has to be that way, but if that singer truly is the draw that keeps this band steadily employed, just consider the extra expense a business investment. Or, as a few others pointed out, tell him to walk. Go ahead. Then try to find somebody to replace him who is just as good at drawing and keeping the audience that you now enjoy. For me, the choice would be easy.

GeeDeeEmm

I know what your saying. I messaged his ego for 10 years. In the end, it was the constant disrespect that brought me over the edge. Yes I know a drummers place is A support roll but that’s no reason to disrespect the backbone of the band. Its at the point when his neck can no longer support his head? But again, I see what your saying. Thanks.

Yep you can only tolerate an egocentric blowhole for so long-so leaving was the only choice. He's delusion was becoming yours.

Yes I know a drummers place is A support roll . . .
This prompts the thought that there are two types of bands that have vocalists: Those in which the vocalist is the star (e.g., Justin Timberlake, Madonna) and those which present themselves as a band of musicians (e.g., Foo Fighters, Vulfpeck).

I know which type of band I’d prefer to be in.

You made the right decision, and I hope you land on your feet and land a great gig.

This prompts the thought that there are two types of bands that have vocalists: Those in which the vocalist is the star (e.g., Justin Timberlake, Madonna) and those which present themselves as a band of musicians (e.g., Foo Fighters, Vulfpeck).

I know which type of band I’d prefer to be in.

You made the right decision, and I hope you land on your feet and land a great gig.
Thanks!

Back