Latin Pop

Jhostetler

I have to admit, I love it. I love playing to it and trying to explore how to mesh traditional Latin grooves with a pop format. Problem is, my knowledge of the genre is limited. I like listening to early Shakira, Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull.

(Yes, I said it. Glad to get that off my chest)

Any other artists that I should listen to? I don't speak Spanish but I'm totally interested in what the lyrics mean. I just like the sounds these artists can create. And while I"m here are there any drummers that I should pay attention to? I need to work on my Latin skills and any help would be great.

Shakira is a legitimate Latin pop artist, and J-Lo has some Latin influence, but Pitbull is mostly hip hop/pop and has relatively no Latin influence.

Latin Pop is a combination of tradition Latin Americna music styles, with American Pop music.

Xavier Cugat was one of the first major artists in the 1930s, followed by Sergio Mendes in the 1960s.

In the 1990s, Latin Pop exploded, and it's surpassed other Latin genres ever since.

The most popular Latin Pop artists today (based on airplay) are:
- Enrique Iglesias
- Shakira
- Christian Castro
- Luis Miguel
- Ricky Martin
- Ricardo Arjona
- Chayanne

While Pitbull, J-Lo, and Christina Aguilera are often referred to as Latin artists, that's more about their race/ethnicity and not their style of music.

Here's a list of some of the more popular Latin Pop albums; take a listen and you can build from there. http://latinmusic.about.com/od/poprock/tp/Essential-Latin-Pop-Albums.htm

Back