Latest Purchase...Non-percussion

wraub

I got new tuners, bridge, and tailpiece for my #1 guitar... I did the tailpiece swap first, and what a dramatic improvement that was... It's like a different guitar, and, fortunately, for the better. :)

Lee-Bro

I picked this up on Wednesday. I drove from NKY to Marietta, GA on Tuesday, went to the dealership Wed. afternoon after picking up a one-way trailer rental. I would've preferred to "fly and ride" but timing and weather didn't work out. I've been able to get about 350 get-to-know-you miles on it since getting it home.

Newbike1.jpg

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I finally got around to finishing out the missing pieces of sound absorption in my control room/editing bay and recording room:
Two Auralex Bass Traps
Two Auralex 2-inch Wedge panels
One box of Owens Corning 703 2" rigid insulation (six 2' X 4' sheets)
8 yards of FR701 acoustic fabric
106 linear feet of select white pine 1" X 4" and 1" X 2"
I took a few leisurely days to build and assemble two clouds (5' X 3' and a 6' X 4') and a single panel (4' X 2'). The 4' X 2' is mobile for placement in the recording room and is mounted on a short C-stand with a short gobo arm so it can be lifted up and down, angled and rotated as needed.
I used four C-stands as a "lift" to get the clouds into position so I could anchor them to the joists. Worked solo without a helper on hanging them.
The Auralex products were a straight out purchase, the rest was a DIY build and assembly.
Result: I was truly surprised at how noticeable the difference was listening to my reference monitors. They are more focused, fuller and richer sounding, (especially the bass and mids). Nothing earth shattering, but definitely an improvement sonically.

Pictured below is the 5' X 3" cloud being assembled, installed and the finished product.

Cloud_Assembly.jpg

Cloud_C-Stands.jpg

Cloud_Install.jpg

cbphoto

Gold Member
I finally got around to finishing out the missing pieces of sound absorption in my control room/editing bay and recording room:
Two Auralex Bass Traps
Two Auralex 2-inch Wedge panels
I took a few leisurely days to build and assemble two clouds (5' X 3' and a 6' X 4') and a single panel (4' X 2'). The 4' X 2' is mobile for placement in the recording room and is mounted on a short C-stand with a short gobo arm so it can be lifted up and down, angled and rotated as needed.
I used four C-stands as a "lift" to get the clouds into position so I could anchor them to the joists. Worked solo without a helper on hanging them.
The Auralex products were a straight out purchase, the rest was a DIY build and assembly.
Result: I was truly surprised at how noticeable the difference was listening to my reference monitors. They are more focused, fuller and richer sounding, (especially the bass and mids). Nothing earth shattering, but definitely an improvement sonically.

Pictured below is the 5' X 3" cloud being assembled, installed and the finished product.

View attachment 108867

View attachment 108868

View attachment 108869
Yet another use for c-stands. Nice!

cbphoto

Gold Member
I took a few leisurely days to build and assemble two clouds (5' X 3' and a 6' X 4') and a single panel (4' X 2').
Do all your panels have a 4” depth? Did you consider 6” depth?

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Do all your panels have a 4” depth? Did you consider 6” depth?

All my panels have a wooden frame depth of 3.5 inches (1 X 4s). That leaves room for 1.5 inch (1 X 2) cross pieces mounted above the 703 to keep the sides from bowing in when under pressure from pulling the fabric tight on all sides. I only used a single sheet of 2" thick insulation in each panel as I was only trying to tame some of the cymbal frequencies. I'm not an acoustic expert but from what I've been told 4" depth of 703 would start to affect mids and possibly upper bass. 6 inches (or more) of 703 would be really aggressive sound absorption better suited for bass traps. I have an 8-foot tall ceiling in a 160 square foot room so the cloud over my kit hangs 4 inches from the ceiling to the top of the panel. That leaves me plenty of room for my overhead mics not being too low over the kit and the single sheet of 703 should remove any wonky frequencies from the cymbals that would otherwise be bouncing back into the mics from the ceiling.

Bozozoid

I am dangerously close to ordering either a Schecter PT special or a Fender J mascis blue sparkle Tele. I'm gonna learn to play guitar if it kills me. If anyone should have an opinion on either of these teles holler.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I am dangerously close to ordering either a Schecter PT special or a Fender J mascis blue sparkle Tele. I'm gonna learn to play guitar if it kills me. If anyone should have an opinion on either of these teles holler.
I like the blue glitter but prefer the setup of the Schecter.

SVBJECT

I just ordered (hasn't arrived yet) an ergonomic, left handed mouse.
I'm right handed but I'm getting a bit of rsi from using my mouse a lot, so I figure I can develope my ambidexterity while relieving some strain on my right.