Latest Purchase...Non-percussion

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
My latest goodie is this Plustek 35mm film scanner, received in March, and in use 109 out of the last 111 days. I've scanned 8,532 frames so far with roughly 1,000 to go, should be finished archiving everything within two weeks. :)

plustek.jpg

Yes that's a Tascam 122MKIII cassette deck behind it!

TK-421

My latest goodie is this Plustek 35mm film scanner, received in March, and in use 109 out of the last 111 days. I've scanned 8,532 frames so far with roughly 1,000 to go, should be finished archiving everything within two weeks. :)

View attachment 106184

Yes that's a Tascam 122MKIII cassette deck behind it!
Very cool. Are you archiving things related to Al or something else?

samajo

I bought girt card for a friend, found cool cards from https://www.tremendous.com/ . They offer cards have international coverage and can be used for online purchases.You can choose the brands that best fit my needs. Hope she will like it.

Quai34

my last "large" non drum purchase...

View attachment 105453

View attachment 105454

the first piece of the "retirement travel headquarters" puzzle; hopefully the last vehicle I ever buy
My son bought the same, first véhicule for him, at 27!!! Well, he's a practitional nurse and with covid, was bump up to team lead and quality control manager in the phone center head quarter...

The Shepherd

Turning 50 this year so I thought I'd go buy the bike I've always wanted. A new to me 2010 BMW R1200GSA. She's a sweet ride and is very comfortable to me. I'm going to put some miles on her this summer.

Daisy.jpg

Justinhub2003

I recently added a Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre Dynamic to my setup.

In conjunction with my Scarlett 18i20, I now have 16 inputs going into Logic via USB-C

Took me so long to get this configured lol. But it’s cool to learn new things.

F42EA51C-4E7C-4831-B1F2-24A5725B4A19.jpeg

cbphoto

Gold Member
I remember doing the same thing. But instead of scanning my film library myself, I hired my 13-year old daughter and trained her on my drum scanner. She'd walk to my studio from school (three blocks away) and spend two or three hours scanning. By the second or third week she was all on her own and I was loving it. Not only did she get the color/end points/white balance correctly, she entered in the metadata so I can find things in my catalog software easily (she got a bonus for this 'cuz it's so tedious).

She did bust me on my boudoir pics from when I was a bachelor. It blew her mind that Wifey wasn't the only [young, beautiful, hot] woman in my life. There was a protracted daddy/daughter discussion that day.

The film prep area where film is oil mounted to the acrylic drum (yes, it was in one of the bathrooms for proper ventilation of solvents):

CB_Scanning_Equipment_01.jpg

The scanner which was operated by an ancient PowerMac 8500 with EOL software (thankfully very stable):

CB_Scanning_Equipment_04.jpg

She went through sixteen file drawers of film (four cabinets worth). This was one of many loads of film we tossed (I did keep film of images that are still special to me, even though the image was scanned and I'll never use the film).

Trash 046.jpg

I have a few friends who are beginning to dabble with 35mm film and, frankly, I don't miss it at all. As you know, scanning is the most critical step to acquiring a decent image for digital use (which is everything now). Did you scan negatives or prints for your book?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Very cool. Are you archiving things related to Al or something else?

Everything I've shot on film from 1973 through 2007 is being archived, and does include a bunch of Al stuff. :)

Did you scan negatives or prints for your book?

Those were scanned from the negatives, only 20 or so rolls involved, so I outsourced. I knew that the balance of my film (about 375 rolls) would be very expensive, and that's when I knew I should get a scanner.

I remember doing the same thing. But instead of scanning my film library myself, I hired my 13-year old daughter and trained her on my drum scanner.

I had considered a drum scanner for the highest quality, but I also know that I won't be re-visiting about 90% of the files, and didn't want the time and monetary expense, or to try and make editorial decisions in advance and scan selectively. This way I've got everything, and the quality is excellent in case there's another book ( :) ) in the works. If necessary, I can go straight to the specific frames and have those scanned more meticulously if needed (I'm keeping the negs, of course.) Everything's in a database with keywords, details, and smart filenames, and backed-up in five places (including archival DVDs.)

I'm seeing some great stuff, especially as I began shooting digital in 1998, with film counterparts that just put the old 640x480 files to shame (I usually carried two cameras...) I guess that's why it took several years waiting for better digital cameras before I completely cut the film loose. It's night & day:

Al_digital_vs_film.jpg

A J

I bought two sets of used, vintage horseshoes off of EBay.

Why?

During our recent move, I accidentally threw out my late Dad's old horseshoes. eBay to the rescue! I've never been good at pitching horseshoes or cared much for it, but I caught the bug. I linked up with some local older dudes who love to play horseshoes at the local AMVETS.

drumnut87

latest non-percussion buys:

erasure"am i right?" 4 track single/EP

Kraftwerk "pocket caculator" japanese import

buddy rich "night in tunisia" japanese import

kraftwerk "tour de france" single

gary numan "the skin mechanic" live album

kraftwerk "trans europe express" picture disc

and kraftwerks early album "ralf und florian" album (back when they were still classed as krautrock)

jaykaydrums_212048272_415064239687348_5982296811810576117_n.jpg

alparrott

Platinum Member
I'm seeing some great stuff, especially as I began shooting digital in 1998, with film counterparts that just put the old 640x480 files to shame (I usually carried two cameras...) I guess that's why it took several years waiting for better digital cameras before I completely cut the film loose. It's night & day:

View attachment 106221
Had to look very closely at your model to make sure it wasn't David Tennant!

alexcarey252

Non Drum Product!
Recently I purchased CVLIFE 2 Point Sling and It is one of the best rifle slings for hunting due to its wide range of motion that provides a total length of 55 inches.

drumnut87

more vinyl for me, from record store day :)

jaykaydrums_219028197_146583807555775_700751383857004016_n.jpg

baz

Silver Member
Is that a Brooks saddle?
Good eyes CB.

l took it of another bike of mine as it is the most comfortable taint cradle l have ever peddled my ass on.

l tell people that the bicycle is the source of my superpowers, as riding keeps me in what passes for shape. If not for the hours and miles l have piled on these last seven years l doubt l would have the jam to enjoy work, drums, and being a Grampa.

Stay safe all

Barry

baz

Silver Member
I see bike racers going up and down the mountain training on bikes like this. They still have their racing suits and helmet on.
This bike is billed as a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike. I don’t do a lot of hills on my day to day zen rides. l go for distance and keep it as flat as possible .

l would also look pretty ridiculous in bike tights, unless l was wearing KISS make up maybe?

Stay safe and look aout for each other

Barry

Quai34

Very nice! I just bought myself a Bosch reciprocating saw. It makes demo much easier.
Cming f on Europe, all my tools are Bosch...I have a big 220/110v transformer though which is not get practical..