Latest Purchase...Non-percussion

Neal Pert

Latest purchase was a lunch chimichanga at a place that's been rated best in Utica, NY a couple times over the last few years. Not convinced. They do have great salsa, though..

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Nice choice TK-421 !
In the Fall of 2019, I shopped around for a decent watch for casual wear while traveling so I picked up this Hamilton Automatic, a Jazzmastar "Viewmatic." Then the pandemic hit. I haven't worn it much but looking forward to getting out more soon!

thumbnail_IMG_3258-2.jpg

Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
Time for a new home/office network. Going with Ubiquity router with tape drive for video (and later, a PoE switch) and their access points. I will also be digging a trench between the home and my studio/playground for the direct burial cable (and a camera or two). The tools are new, and the line tester is a godsend. So far, I've terminated only one cable with its plug (for "practice") and can't believe how tedious unenjoyable that is. And people do this for a living. oof.

network-1.jpgnetwork-2.jpgnetwork-3.jpg

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Digging trenches and terminating RJ-45 connectors. Right up my alley.

I hope you have a machine to trench.

It seems as though the people who designed the RJ-45 connector purposefully tried to make it just as hard as possible lol

TK-421

Nice choice TK-421 !
In the Fall of 2019, I shopped around for a decent watch for casual wear while traveling so I picked up this Hamilton Automatic, a Jazzmastar "Viewmatic." Then the pandemic hit. I haven't worn it much but looking forward to getting out more soon!

View attachment 106039
Thanks, and nice Hamilton!

Here’s a pic of my Hamilton, which is also a Jazzmaster Viewmatic, though clearly a different model. My new Oris will have a similar color scheme of dark dial and brown strap, so I’m debating if I’m going to keep my Hamilton or sell it.

A715221E-3F59-4F72-B9E6-8BFA16D86486.jpeg

Last edited:

Ransan

It seems as though the people who designed the RJ-45 connector purposefully tried to make it just as hard as possible lol
My alley as well, I was a cable guy paying my way though college, I remember going to Dallas for two week training, for the cat5 data and VoIP NID (network interface device) systems linking.
In that, we had training to crossover, and crimp the cat5 terminals for the RJ-45s.
The cat5 was rolling out along with fiber optics which made things easier.
They also managed to include gaffe retraining which was a pain.

Before we had the coax terminals or the RG-6 that we’d have to use the roller guide to cut the coat and foil sheath before exposing wire, then compress and crimp the terminal head.

Hard work, but fun times!

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Haven't bought anything new but cooking up something new in the lab. colin-clive-frankenstein-1930.jpg copy.png

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I’ve always been interested in watches, but only recently (within the past few years) started really getting into them and diving down the rabbit hole. For the uninitiated, that’s one REALLY big rabbit hole!

Anyway, I bought my first automatic,* a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, about 2.5 years ago. While it’s nice, it’s really more of an entry level automatic, and I’ve been wanting to get into a slightly higher end auto—especially one with a chronograph function. But they can get really pricey—I’m talking many thousands of dollars—so I’ve been holding out until I could find one I really liked for about the price of a new Renown or less. And last weekend, I found one and pulled the trigger!

It’s an Oris Artix GT, which I found new (from a reputable dealer) for about 1/3 the price they normally sell for. So I bought it, and now I’m just waiting for it to arrive. I’ve always liked Oris watches, and while they don’t have as much brand recognition among non-enthusiasts, they are a very well respected horological brand. Probably equivalent to Longines or Tag Heuer.

Can’t wait for it to arrive!

View attachment 106030

View attachment 106031

*For those who don’t know about watches, an “automatic“ watch uses a fully mechanical self-winding movement. It’s completely spring driven, so no battery like a quartz watch, and incorporates an offset rotor that rotates—and winds the mainspring—as you move your wrist. Nearly all high-end watches, such as Rolex, IWC, Omega, Breitling, Patek Philippe, etc., use either an automatic or a hand-wound movement (another type of fully mechanical movement, but one you have to wind by hand).

I hear ya!! back in he 90's, I almost got addicted to Fossil watches when they first came out.

they are not Rolex's or Breitlings, but they fit a traveling drummers budget really well

I can't wear nice watches now b/c they get thrashed when I ride bikes, but I would love to have a Breitling one day...I hhave always gravitated to those more than anything else high end

TK-421

My grandson may like that. He has been competing with the 3 x 3 Rubik's, and now does them in 30 seconds or so.
If he hasn’t seen it, he should watch The Speed Cubers, a Netflix documentary about competitive Rubik’s Cubers, focusing on two world champions. It’s a really interesting documentary I watched not too long ago.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Bought 2 suits from jos a bank $69 each.... their sales are insane.. not bad suits either :)

we used to have Jos A Bank here in town, but not any more...I go to Men's Warehouse now....but I have not had the need for a suit in a looooong time, thank God

Auspicious

Just the first ones are hard to make but it gets much easier with experience, after 5 connectors, it's enough to gain a lot of speed!

I find that doing it while sitting comfortably and with a lot of light was of great help.

Icetech

Gold Member
we used to have Jos A Bank here in town, but not any more...I go to Men's Warehouse now....but I have not had the need for a suit in a looooong time, thank God
Honestly, i have never worn a suit.. but at that price... It's worth signing up for their newsletter/promo email... i get dress shirts from them for work for like $15 a pop when on sale.. i love cheap stuffs:)

alparrott

Platinum Member
I'm an online gamer and esports organization staff member in my other life. So I just ordered a Rode PodMic from Sweetwater to upgrade from my Blue Yeti. I'm interested to see if it is also a good fit for snare drum when recording - I've seen some folks use broadcast dynamic mics like the Shure SM7B in that application.

1626111823305.png

Last edited: