Larry's Snare Giveaway: The unwrapping videos!

alparrott

Platinum Member
I wanted to set up this thread so that videos of folks getting their new gear could be shared out with the community at large. There's been an awful lot of naysayers and cynics on the other thread. Let's show them what this has all been about - drummers being real cool to other drummers for no ulterior motive whatsoever.

My snare will be here sometime today (crack job by the US Postal Service), so I'll post my video as soon as I get it - followed by a studio first look sometime in the next week.

Rotarded

I didn't get video as my snare arrived before I saw this thread.

I am eternally indebted to Larry for gifting me what has always been my "grail" snare, and the added bonus of some pretty tasty t-shirts *wink*

I will also get a video posted sometime soon.

Last edited:

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I wouldn't say there's been an awful lot of cynicism. Just a couple, but that's just enough for you guys to exaggerate the topic.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I wanted to set up this thread so that videos of folks getting their new gear could be shared out with the community at large. There's been an awful lot of naysayers and cynics on the other thread. Let's show them what this has all been about - drummers being real cool to other drummers for no ulterior motive whatsoever.

My snare will be here sometime today (crack job by the US Postal Service), so I'll post my video as soon as I get it - followed by a studio first look sometime in the next week.
Thanks Al, good idea.

I didn't get video as my snare arrived before I saw this thread.

I am eternally indebted to Larry for gifting me what has always been my "grail" snare, and the added bonus of some pretty tasty t-shirts *wink*

I will also get a video posted sometime soon.
Wow that was fast. They told me 5 or 6 days. I shipped on Thursday.

I'll tell you what, it makes me much happier to see someone really want the drum, than to have it pleading with me to play it as it pretties my shelf.

This is the best part of the thread for me.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
This is just fabulous to see. Me - I can't get enough of it. This place is feeling just great :)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I wouldn't have thought to take pictures... Guess I should.

I was planning to skin it up, tune it up and take a vid or audio file to share. I'm likely the furthest away from Lar, so I'll probably get mine last. I've put a chair by the door.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I wouldn't say there's been an awful lot of cynicism. Just a couple, but that's just enough for you guys to exaggerate the topic.
Well, let there be none here! Just pictures, videos and good cheer.

I have text alerts set up for postal deliveries, so I will know when it's at my doorstep.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I'm last on my postal route, so talk about a day of biting nails!

The package finally arrived at 5:30ish, and the poor carrier was probably thinking she'd delivered a lottery ticket!

Video here: https://youtu.be/dc8s-ukT7Cs

Then I had to go set it up on my set... regrettably it's past what I normally self-impose as good neighbor quiet hours. Studio video tomorrow - and it's likely going to band rehearsal with me. {EDIT: Quiet hours are for losers. Here's a quick demo:https://soundcloud.com/aaron-parrott-1/jkbmdemo}

{EDIT 2:First studio video. Studio is freezing cold due to insufficient heater. Why not play a brand new song, in a style I'm still developing? https://youtu.be/p5_ZHb0etYg}

Attachments

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
I didn't get a video. My snare was on the dining table when I woke up this morning. I did get some pictures though. My wife wrote fragile on the box, and told me I got a package, it must be from Italy because it say frage-ill-ey on it, and it must be a major award. I didn't get to play it today. I worked in my mother in-laws yard, then went to my sons house this evening for a family game night. I be on it Sun. though. It's not what I was expecting. Prior to the give away, I've never seen this drum before, so I looked it up on the net. I found out it's a Ludwig import, but everyone said it was a good drum. It's used so I expected it to look used. I opened the box and it looked brand new, with the exception of the batter head. It's not damaged, just used some.This drum looks like a high quality instrument. Next is the weight. I was expecting a thin, light weight shell. What I got was a nice heavy shell. The seam was even hard to find. I tapped on it a few times, but didn't get to play it. I'm pleasantly surprised. This whole thing is just so crazy. Many thank yous go out to Larry and the others for getting these give-aways going. Now I can't wait for Sun. afternoon so I can see what it sounds like.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

lefty2

Platinum Member
I'm last on my postal route, so talk about a day of biting nails!

The package finally arrived at 5:30ish, and the poor carrier was probably thinking she'd delivered a lottery ticket!

Video here: https://youtu.be/dc8s-ukT7Cs

Then I had to go set it up on my set... regrettably it's past what I normally self-impose as good neighbor quiet hours. Studio video tomorrow - and it's likely going to band rehearsal with me. {EDIT: Quiet hours are for losers. Here's a quick demo:https://soundcloud.com/aaron-parrott-1/jkbmdemo}
Excellent, that looks like a sweet drum. Woo-hew! It sounds real good too. Nice pop.

lefty2

Platinum Member
Thanks Al, good idea.

Wow that was fast. They told me 5 or 6 days. I shipped on Thursday.

I'll tell you what, it makes me much happier to see someone really want the drum, than to have it pleading with me to play it as it pretties my shelf.

This is the best part of the thread for me.
Wow that BB is a beauty. Gold on black. So very cool. I bet she sounds cool too. Congratulations.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Madge this makes me all warm and fuzzy too. Congrats to all those who have received and kudos to those who have given. Giving of yourself is the key to happiness-I know, I know it seems paradoxical.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Nice Lefty! Ludwig makes classic sounding snares.

Michael, I forgot to include the 20 little rubber O rings that slip onto each tension rod. So that when you unscrew the rods all the way, they wont fall out of your hoop. I found them annoying but I'll mail them in a letter to you. Because that's the way the drum came. I wish I had the original Ludwig batter head and wires to go with it. I don't know where they went.

FWIW, I have positively identified some good karma as a result of all this, in addition to the generous gift that Andy provided in the form of a room to stay. Where the Manchester Drum Show is held. How very convenient! Helluva nice room too! Sweet. After the drum show is over, I'm gonna visit with Andy in his pastoral paradise of a home where he moved how many of billions of tons of earth with a tablespoon? Then to top it off, after Andys visit is over, he is driving me to Stardust Towers, and I'm staying with Madge for a day or two! We will be riding horses and enjoying caeks! I still don't know what they are! But I am very much looking forward to seeing how it is to be at home with two of my favorite people.

BTW, the additional good karma came in the form of cash, $300.00. Totally unexpected. Thank you.

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
Here is a short video of the LM303. Recorded with a Zoom Q3 using onboard mics. I'm not very good at snare pieces, I usually just work on songs with the whole kit. I like the drum. It seems like the ring is more desirable than my steel snare. In the future I'll explore different heads, and snare wires, but that will be after Christmas.

https://youtu.be/7QY7QBCzBgE

Rotarded

Michael, I forgot to include the 20 little rubber O rings that slip onto each tension rod. So that when you unscrew the rods all the way, they wont fall out of your hoop. I found them annoying but I'll mail them in a letter to you. Because that's the way the drum came. I wish I had the original Ludwig batter head and wires to go with it. I don't know where they went.
No worries Larry. I happened to have some o-rings in the old tool kit, from another project. I actually took the drum apart and cleaned and waxed it (not that it was dirty) and had already installed them in the updated photo I edited into my first post in this thread. Now the drool will just bead up, and fall off!

Again, Thank you Larry. Thank you very much!

I've never seen this drum before, so I looked it up on the net. I found out it's a Ludwig import, but everyone said it was a good drum. It's used so I expected it to look used. I opened the box and it looked brand new, with the exception of the batter head. It's not damaged, just used some.This drum looks like a high quality instrument. Next is the weight. I was expecting a thin, light weight shell. What I got was a nice heavy shell. The seam was even hard to find. I tapped on it a few times, but didn't get to play it. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Mike,
Ludwig discontinued these a while ago and they are harder and harder to find in good shape. I was fortunate to find this one just the way you see it, pretty much mint. These snares are little gems that are relatively unknown. I did forget that someone had replaced the snares with some crappy HB snares.